Cutting it close too often. Merry Xmas !

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to clarify, the pressure listed on the sidewall of any tire is NOT the tire manufacturer's recommended operational pressure but rather the maximum allowed pressure. The two are quite different things and the best operational pressure often may be considerably lower than the maximum allowed for a given vehicle and tire.

DaveinOlyWA said:
i tried tires at both Nissan recommended (recommended for ride comfort ONLY) and the tire manufacturer (recommended to maintain MAXIMUM safety and MAXIMUM life) and that is cold tire pressure rating.

Reddy said:
madbrain said:
In terms of regenerated energy , my total for December was as follows according to Carwings :

Total consumption : 241.8 kWh . Consumption : 280.2 kWh . Regenerated : 38.4 kWh . 783 miles. 3.2 miles/kWh .
So I'm regenerating 38.4 / 280.2 or 13.7% of the energy I am consuming. Or 49 Wh regenerated per mile driven.
Sounds like you are similar to me (although it's in the 20's here now and I pretty much have the heat blasting). 645 mi travelled, 2.7 mi/kWh, 241 kWh consumed, 48.8 hr travel time (13 mi/hr :lol: probably because lots of time spent looking at Christmas lights), 258 Wh/mi traction, 37 Wh/mi regen, 279Wh/mi accessories (heat).
Reddy

Nice, so I am regenerating more than you.

It's so confusing that the duration data is available only on the monthly and annual stats. Based on that, my average speed is 28.7 mph for the month of December. And 29.6mph for the year 2012.
Makes sense as I'm driving about 65 to 75% freeway.

How were you able to find the Wh/mile for accessories for the month ?
The "electric rate simulation" screen only gives 3 stats : total kWh, consumption kWh, regeneration kWh .
But I don't see a breakdown of the consumption between traction motor and accessories.

The "my driving style" screen has the traction motor, regeneration, and accessories Wh/mile. But it appears to give only daily stats. There is no monthly or annual average.

madbrain said:
The "my driving style" screen has the traction motor, regeneration, and accessories Wh/mile. But it appears to give only daily stats. There is no monthly or annual average.

Found it. I needed to opt in to participating in the rankings.
Now I can see the all totals for the month of December.

3.2 miles/kWh
783 miles
33.7 kWh consumed by accessories
38.4 kWh regenerated energy
88 trips

So, total consumer by accessories is 43 Wh/mile.

How does the car get in turtle mode as my only quit after the--- bar and if the turtle mode came on i would got home , it quit 3 blocks from the house and not near a plug to charge it up.
I only use Eco mode and Cruise also never faster then 48 MPH and I am sure that because the car was sitting in the Showroom for 6 months is why the 11 bar s that i did not know i should have 12 Bars , The best total miles I can get after a full charge is 58 mile , it drops from 88 mile to 60 mile after 10 miles driving 48 MPH and Cruse in Eco Mode. What can I do to get the serve to replace the bad or weak Battery modules ??

ronwright38 said:
How does the car get in turtle mode as my only quit after the--- bar and if the turtle mode came on i would got home , it quit 3 blocks from the house and not near a plug to charge it up.
I only use Eco mode and Cruise also never faster then 48 MPH and I am sure that because the car was sitting in the Showroom for 6 months is why the 11 bar s that i did not know i should have 12 Bars , The best total miles I can get after a full charge is 58 mile , it drops from 88 mile to 60 mile after 10 miles driving 48 MPH and Cruse in Eco Mode. What can I do to get the serve to replace the bad or weak Battery modules ??

I'll be honest and say its difficult for me to understand exactly what happened (I assume English is not your first language).

If your car physically stopped moving, after seeing "---" on the dash range guessing instrument, then your car was already in Turtle mode. You would have seen a little orange turtle icon illuminated on the dash. Power would have been limited, with speed limited to about 25-35mph. It seems your range statements are based on that Guess-O-Meter and not actual miles traveled. Unfortunately, that instrument will not help us determine if there is a problem or not. I recommend covering it and not using it at all.

Please confirm that the car is missing the 12th top capacity bar segment, so that when you fully charge the car, all 12 of the long fuel bars are illuminated, and that the upper short bar segment to the right of that long 12th fuel bar is NOT illuminated?

I doubt that there is anything wrong with your car. Unfortunately, you will have to learn all the limitations of the car, and how things like cold weather and heater use affect range.

I did not see a Orange turtle and it did not get there when I got the 3 --- bar's and it never got to turtle mode , and if did i would got home and i did not have to wait for the tow , it all ways got me home before and that's why i think the battery pack has a bad or weak pack of the 48 pack's
I have 14,400 miles and if i had the 12 Bar's when i got the car, i think i would not have this problem.
I have talked to other people that have the same mileage and they have the 12 Bar's and they did not get a car that was in the showroom for 6 Months.
Also I am American and speak English.

ronwright38 said:
I did not see a Orange turtle and it did not get there when I got the 3 --- bar's and it never got to turtle mode , and if did i would got home and i did not have to wait for the tow , it all ways got me home before and that's why i think the battery pack has a bad or weak pack of the 48 pack's

1. Did the car physically stop on its own after you saw "---" displayed on the dash? Yes or No please.

2. How many miles driven (from the odometer and NOT from the Guess-O-Meter, which is number 12 in the picture below)?

3. Where are you traveling and what is the temperature?

4. Did you use the heater?

I have 14,400 miles and if i had the 12 Bar's when i got the car, i think i would not have this problem.
I have talked to other people that have the same mileage and they have the 12 Bar's and they did not get a car that was in the showroom for 6 Months.
Also I am American and speak English.

5. Please, just yes or no... Does your car display 12 long fuel bar segments (number 13 in the picture below) and 12 short battery capacity bar segments (number 14 in the picture below) when fully charged?

capacitygauge

1. The car physically stopped YES
2. 14,400 miles
3.traveling home and 57
i did use the heater
The Car all ways shows 12 Charge Bar's and 11 Battery Capacity Segments as i said before that the car was sitting in the showroom for 6 Months when I got the car. I did not know about the Battery capacity should had 12 Bar's. only after talking to other people that i found out it should of had 12 Bar's on both. I only get 12 Bar on the full charge side and I never got 12 on the Battery Capacity side. :roll:

Tony was asking how many miles, according to the odometer, you had driven from the time you charged to when the car stopped. Many of us, perhaps most of us, reset one of the trip odometers when we charge the car because this number is so important.

Apologies if you already understand this, Ron, but the normal progression is:
  1. Low battery warning - the big lying number starts flashing.
  2. After maybe 5 to 10 miles, Very low battery warning - the number is replaced by three dashes.
  3. Maybe 3 to 5 miles after that, a power restriction notice - the turtle light comes on.
  4. Perhaps a quarter mile to half a mile later the car stops.

You are saying the turtle light didn't come on. Do you know how far you went after the three dashes showed up? How fast were you going? Level, uphill or downhill? Did you still have the heater on?

Ray

ronwright38 said:

May I suggest you start your own thread on this issue as it seems quite separate from mine ?

planet4ever said:
Actually, I think you may have your A/C comment backward, though I must confess I still can't seem to really get my head around how the climate control system works.

You may be right. But there are definitely conditions during which the car switches from heat to A/C for no apparent good reason. And they involve the defogger.

All I know is that if I push the defrost button, the climate control graph on the Energy Usage display cranks up to 4.5kW and stays there, even if I am in ECO mode. Given that you can often drive with the motor usage at about 20kW, that alone can easily be a 15% to 20% hit on your mileage.

I played with this on the home last night when it was quite cold (for here, 3°C). I saw an initial crank to 4.5 kW with the defroster on, but it was not a constant draw with that high of a load. It eventually went down a little once the cabin reached the temperature.

madbrain said:
drees said:
madbrain said:
I reset all my dash counters tonight on my way home from work after full charge.
Total trip 13.4 miles. With the heat and defogger on, and not exceeding 65 mph on the 9 miles of freeway, the dash ended with 2.7 miles/kWh average economy. The Leaf used 3 out of the 12 fuel bars as usual.

I just put my kill-a-watt on the EVSE, so we will see how many kWh it recharges.
Should be around 6 kWh.

Unfortunately, I forgot to reset the KWh counter on the Kill-a-watt. So I will have to try again another day. This was a typical return commute back home with the 3 fuel bars of usage from full charge.

I did it again last night. The stats for the home commute trip were exactly the same as monday night.
The kill-a-watt reported 7.39 kWh recharged. That's an average 1.88 miles/kWh, wall-to-wheels.
The dash was reporting 2.7 . I suppose this makes sense if the L1 charger has 30% losses.

My new 40A circuit and 4-prong dryer outlet are being added as I write this. And my SPX L2 charger is being fitted with a 4-prong dryer plug. Hopefully it will all be complete today, and last night was the last time I charged on L1 at home.

madbrain said:
I suppose this makes sense if the L1 charger has 30% losses.
It does, roughly speaking.

madbrain said:
My new 40A circuit and 4-prong dryer outlet are being added as I write this. And my SPX L2 charger is being fitted with a 4-prong dryer plug. Hopefully it will all be complete today, and last night was the last time I charged on L1 at home.
Good to hear! We should put a J1772 plug on the Avcon adapter if you end up using the Voltec in a stationary application.

surfingslovak said:
madbrain said:
I suppose this makes sense if the L1 charger has 30% losses.
It does, roughly speaking.

So my electric usage hopefully will go down. The electric usage on my december bill was up 300 kWh year to year.

My solar has been underperforming quite a bit. There was so much rain and overcast that the solar system only produced 620 kWh last month.
It produced 604 kWh in december 2011, but I only had 28 solar panels then.

My total electric usage was up 13.7 kWh/day between December 2011 and 2012. If it's all attributable to the Leaf L1 charging, that would mean 9.59 kWh/day actually went into the Leaf battery each day at home. I was doing some L2 free charging at work too, though.

Hopefully the L2 will reduce my electricity consumption, and the weather will improve the solar production too.

madbrain said:
Good to hear! We should put a J1772 plug on the Avcon adapter if you end up using the Voltec in a stationary application.

The Voltec is installed and mounted now. I ended up keeping the 3-prong dryer connector on the Voltec because Home depot didn't have the NEMA 14-50 4-prong plug I wanted for future proofing. I guess I will change the outlet in 3 years when I get a new plug-in car and a new charger to go with it. Maybe it will just be hardwired.

Yes, I would like to get the J1772 plug on that Avcon now in order to continue charging at work.

planet4ever said:
Tony was asking how many miles, according to the odometer, you had driven from the time you charged to when the car stopped. Many of us, perhaps most of us, reset one of the trip odometers when we charge the car because this number is so important.

Apologies if you already understand this, Ron, but the normal progression is:
  2. After maybe 5 to 10 miles, Very low battery warning - the number is replaced by three dashes.
  3. Maybe 3 to 5 miles after that, a power restriction notice - the turtle light comes on.

You are saying the turtle light didn't come on. Do you know how far you went after the three dashes showed up? How fast were you going? Level, uphill or downhill? Did you still have the heater on?
I was on level ground the very low warning came on with the 3--- at 3 miles on the guess meter
and the trip meter at 55 miles and yes i had the heater on , but i never got to the turtle mode as when i saw in the Car.com test, Did to see how far it would go before it when dead my car just when dead 3 blocks from the house and had to get it towed to the house. Ray

Please do put everything in to one massive quote like this. It makes it impossible to read.

ronwright38 said:
planet4ever said:
Tony was asking how many miles, according to the odometer, you had driven from the time you charged to when the car stopped. Many of us, perhaps most of us, reset one of the trip odometers when we charge the car because this number is so important. Apologies if you already understand this, Ron, but the normal progression is:

I was on level ground the very low warning came on with the 3--- at 3 miles on the guess meter
and the trip meter at 55 miles and yes i had the heater on , but i never got to the turtle mode as when i saw in the Car.com test, Did to see how far it would go before it when dead my car just when dead 3 blocks from the house and had to get it towed to the house. Ray

Back