20k miles and lost 5 bars already! for sale...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. Price is too high but at least they/the new owner should be able to get their pack replaced w/one w/more capacity.

I'm guessing it was operated in a hot environment and left outside in the sun all the time at high SoC.

cwerdna said:
Wow. Price is too high but at least they/the new owner should be able to get their pack replaced w/one w/more capacity.

I'm guessing it was operated in a hot environment and left outside in the sun all the time at high SoC.

and/or low SoC. Notice it's at least at LBW. Makes me wonder how Carmax will recharge and/or realize that they need to recharge.

And yes, talk about expensive. After all the credits, etc. in CA, can't you get a new 2013 model for less than this?

You know.. I've been wondering lately about this. Of course it is possible this is another case of instrumentation failure where the battery capacity bars are just flat out wrong and the car really has more capacity than this. However, another thing I've wondered about would be if some batteries are just better than others. I got to thinking about all of my experience with computer equipment. In many cases its not unusual to see two or more devices bought at the same time and used exactly in the same manner under the same conditions only to see one battery fail while the other keeps working for years. I've seen this with lead-acid batteries in our battery backups, as well as company owned laptops, digital cameras, and two-way radios.

lpickup said:
And yes, talk about expensive. After all the credits, etc. in CA, can't you get a new 2013 model for less than this?

Well, in California, a 2013 LEAF-S would be $28,800 minus $10k in government money.

I think I'd like to take this car on a test drive!

Gotta get this in the MNL database to keep track of!!!

CARMAX
18020 Hawthorne Boulevard
Torrance, CA 90504

VIN: JN1AZ0CP6BT001547

LEAFfiveMissingCapBarsDeadBattery.jpg

But wait: this car is CarMax quality certified:

CarMax evaluates millions of cars every year.
  • Our buyers attend auctions across the country and appraise over 2 million cars annually at our stores.
  • Our buyers are trained to know what makes a car desirable and a great value.
2 out of 3 cars we see don't meet our standards for reasons that include:
  • flood damage—it can destroy or cause malfunctions in electronics, airbags, and anti-lock brakes
  • frame damage—because the frame is a crucial safety feature designed to help absorb crashes
  • unknown mileage or salvage history
  • excessive wear and tear
  • excessive cost to repair

adric22 said:
You know.. I've been wondering lately about this. Of course it is possible this is another case of instrumentation failure where the battery capacity bars are just flat out wrong and the car really has more capacity than this. However, another thing I've wondered about would be if some batteries are just better than others. I got to thinking about all of my experience with computer equipment. In many cases its not unusual to see two or more devices bought at the same time and used exactly in the same manner under the same conditions only to see one battery fail while the other keeps working for years. I've seen this with lead-acid batteries in our battery backups, as well as company owned laptops, digital cameras, and two-way radios.

Auto grade batteries and small electronics are built to different tolerances and automotive packs do not have that much of a variance. There are many possibilities here including pack abuse. If there was a defective module etc it may have gone unattended but there is no way to know.

TonyWilliams said:
lpickup said:

Well, in California, a 2013 LEAF-S would be $28,800 minus $10k in government money.

I think I'd like to take this car on a test drive!

Gotta get this in the MNL database to keep track of!!!

CARMAX
18020 Hawthorne Boulevard
Torrance, CA 90504

VIN: JN1AZ0CP6BT001547

LEAFfiveMissingCapBarsDeadBattery.jpg

maybe its my vision, poor pix or the "blink of the camera" but its in ready mode and there is no mileage indicator or "_ _ _" ?

picture looks strange to me for some reason

Just goes to show, how full of crap carmax is along with the majority of car dealerships nationwide.

lpickup said:
But wait: this car is CarMax quality certified:

CarMax evaluates millions of cars every year.
  • Our buyers attend auctions across the country and appraise over 2 million cars annually at our stores.
  • Our buyers are trained to know what makes a car desirable and a great value.
2 out of 3 cars we see don't meet our standards for reasons that include:
  • flood damage—it can destroy or cause malfunctions in electronics, airbags, and anti-lock brakes
  • frame damage—because the frame is a crucial safety feature designed to help absorb crashes
  • unknown mileage or salvage history
  • excessive wear and tear
  • excessive cost to repair

The history report read it was registered in Rancho Cucamonga. I'm sure the 90's are fairly common, but it can't be the buttcrack of hell, like AZ with triple digit temps constantly.

smkettner said:
Not all of So Cal is close to the cool ocean breases.

Wonder what would be displayed with a full charge and balancing cycle ? 5 bar loss seems like a strong outlier.. I am still waiting for a one bar loss on my 2011 (no rush of course).

DaveinOlyWA said:
maybe its my vision, poor pix or the "blink of the camera" but its in ready mode and there is no mileage indicator or "_ _ _" ?

picture looks strange to me for some reason

"Fuel" light is on, no big bars. Low Battery Warning in the center display. I'm guessing it was blinking '---' and the camera caught it when it was blank. At any rate, I'm concerned that this car is going to just sit with this low SOC without being plugged in by the "experts" at CarMax.

supra410 said:
The history report read it was registered in Rancho Cucamonga. I'm sure the 90's are fairly common, but it can't be the buttcrack of hell, like AZ with triple digit temps constantly.

smkettner said:
Not all of So Cal is close to the cool ocean breases.

Rancho Cucamonga has same weather as Riverside/ San Bernardino (mostly because its only like 20 miles away) which means typically highs in the low to mid 90's EVERY day during Summer with several 100+º days.

GregH said:
Wow!! Would love to get some data off this car...

Let's do it!!!

I just called Craig Matthews (310-213-0679) at CARMAX in Torrance, and he will fully charge the car for our test drive. The problem with the car, according to him, is that it's not charged all the way. He specifically said, "I'm sure", so you know he's right.

In order to actually take it to a Nissan dealer for a "post-purchase" inspection, you have to buy the car, then you have 5 days to return the car if it doesn't check out. Obviously, I won't be doing that just to get a 5 star report from the dealer.

But, I think we can get all the data we need with your instruments and a little 50-ish mile drive (which is all I think it will do... we got 59 miles on the "4 bar loser" in PHX last year).

So, let me know when you're available.

Back