20k miles and lost 5 bars already! for sale...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
GregH said:
Wow!! Would love to get some data off this car...

Let's do it!!!

I just called Craig Matthews (310-213-0679) at CARMAX in Torrance, and he will fully charge the car for our test drive. The problem with the car, according to him, is that it's not charged all the way. He specifically said, "I'm sure", so you know he's right.

In order to actually take it to a Nissan dealer for a "post-purchase" inspection, you have to buy the car, then you have 5 days to return the car if it doesn't check out. Obviously, I won't be doing that just to get a 5 star report from the dealer.

But, I think we can get all the data we need with your instruments and a little 50-ish mile drive (which is all I think it will do... we got 59 miles on the "4 bar loser" in PHX last year).

So, let me know when you're available.

Really looking forward to your report on the test drive.

vrwl said:

I'm actually thinking that I could buy the car, take it to the Nissan dealer and demand my warrantied battery. Then, when denied, get all my money back.

Plus, a well documented drive.

TonyWilliams said:
vrwl said:

I'm actually thinking that I could buy the car, take it to the Nissan dealer and demand my warrantied battery. Then, when denied, get all my money back.

Great idea except they haven't issued the.capacity warranty yet.

TonyWilliams said:
vrwl said:

So the warranty is officially in effect? I had heard "spring", but then never heard an official announcement. But during March & April I was offline a lot so I may have missed it.

LEAFfan said:
TonyWilliams said:
vrwl said:

Great idea except they haven't issued the.capacity warranty yet.

Hence the "when denied" part. In other words, NISSAN, **** OR GET OFF THE POT.

You have five days to take it back. Do you REALLY think you'd get an answer to that from Nissan in just five days?!

TonyWilliams said:
vrwl said:
I'm actually thinking that I could buy the car, take it to the Nissan dealer and demand my warrantied battery. Then, when denied, get all my money back. Plus, a well documented drive.

It doesn't matter if I get an answer or not. In five days, it would go back.

TomT said:
You have five days to take it back. Do you REALLY think you'd get an answer to that from Nissan in just five days?!

TonyWilliams said:
vrwl said:
I'm actually thinking that I could buy the car, take it to the Nissan dealer and demand my warrantied battery. Then, when denied, get all my money back. Plus, a well documented drive.

cdub said:
How'd they lose 5 bars??? I have 23k+ miles and all 12. WTF

who knows? leaving it fully charged in the middle of the afternoon in an asphalt parking lot with OAT at 95º probably puts the pavement at 140. wont take long like that

I don't know why everyone assumes this car lived in SoCal. It could easily have been transferred from AZ to California by someone at CarMax who thought the market would be better here.

TonyWilliams said:
vrwl said:

Wouldn't that suck if you took it to the dealer and it was determined to be a bulb in the instrument cluster that burned out? :lol:

kubel said:
TonyWilliams said:
vrwl said:

Wouldn't that suck if you took it to the dealer and it was determined to be a bulb in the instrument cluster that burned out? :lol:

Why would that "suck"? It has a 5 day money back guarantee.

The mystery deepens:

Stopped by CarMax at 18020 Hawthorne Blvd Torrance, CA 90504 and did a quick check of this car. Yes, it is the same VIN number.

First, it has lost only one capacity bar!

Second, here is the screen shot from the Leaf Battery Application http://imageshack.us/a/img197/6181/screenshot2013051818271.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note: 54.74AHr capacity is consistent with a one capacity bar loss.

OK, conspiracy theory people, go to work!

dm33 said:
As a prospective leaf owner, why do folks think its lost 5 bars and not just half charged up?

Battery capacity bars have nothing to do with fuel bars. You can have 60% BC, but if you charge to 100%, it will show 12 fuel capacity bars.

Back