Brand New Leaf (2012 SL) from Carmax for only $26K?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaswalla

Guys, what I am missing here? Carmax has a new LEAF SL for 26K.. there is no record of ownership, so my understanding is that the 7500 federal tax credit would be applicable, and for those in California that get the car shipped out here, we could also get the $2500 State Rebate. That brings it to 16K -- Personally, I would never buy a LEAF again, but for 16K, it got me thinking...

I'm sure there's something I'm missing, what is it.

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/default.html?AVi=7&id=8528129&D=90&ASTc=nissan%20leaf&zip=92130&pD=0&pI=0&pT=400&pC=200&pB=0&No=0&Ep=homepage:homepage&Rp=R&PP=20&sV=List&CD=240+9&Q=67f33350-68b9-4f75-beb9-dbcf669a2443" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It does appear legit, except for one thing.

In the photos, there is one that shows the driver display. 5 miles, looks good. But it has 6 temperature bars on the battery. That can't be a recent photo, correct?

Maybe the car has been on their lot for a while, and who knows what the state of charge has been. But if it still has the low "new car" mileage, then it could be a good price for someone...

I've never seen any really great deals at Carmax. Must be that it was registered and someone got the tax credit already. But that doesn't make sense since the car only has 5 miles based on the photo. Let us know what you find out.

Randy said:
It does appear legit, except for one thing.

In the photos, there is one that shows the driver display. 5 miles, looks good. But it has 6 temperature bars on the battery. That can't be a recent photo, correct?

Maybe the car has been on their lot for a while, and who knows what the state of charge has been. But if it still has the low "new car" mileage, then it could be a good price for someone...

With a VIN in the 20000 range, the delivery date was sometime in May or June of last year. One of the pictures shows a 96F temperature, so it was, obviously, taken last summer.

Just because Carmax says the car is "Brand New", does not mean the IRS will consider it a new car. I would be very surprised if this car is eligible for any tax rebates.

KJD said:
Just because Carmax says the car is "Brand New", does not mean the IRS will consider it a new car. I would be very surprised if this car is eligible for any tax rebates.

Sounds like the standard dealer scam (which is against IRS rules); sell the car to somebody who never drives it (sales manager, etc) who personally pockets the $7500 tax credit, and probably scams some state money, too.

Then, put it up for sale as "new" when it's actually pre-owned for tax and rebate purposes.

TonyWilliams said:
KJD said:

Sounds like the standard dealer scam (which is against IRS rules); sell the car to somebody who never drives it (sales manager, etc) who personally pockets the $7500 tax credit, and probably scams some state money, too.

Then, put it up for sale as "new" when it's actually pre-owned for tax and rebate purposes.
A quick search shows they have 4 for sale,
http://www.carmax.com/enus/search-results/default.html?ANa=68&N=4294966976+4294961840&Ne=4&D=90&zip=92130&pD=0&pI=0&pT=400&pC=200&pB=0&No=0&Ep=search:findcar:home&Rp=R&PP=20&sV=List&CD=662+14+966+240+190+398+9&Q=a25dc578-2720-4105-8d00-ba8fabf8663b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, supposedly new vehicles. Under warranty it says "balance of 3 year-36,000 miles". If it is new why would it state "balance of".

ALLWATZ said:
http://www.carmax.com/enus/search-results/default.html?ANa=68&N=4294966976+4294961840&Ne=4&D=90&zip=92130&pD=0&pI=0&pT=400&pC=200&pB=0&No=0&Ep=search:findcar:home&Rp=R&PP=20&sV=List&CD=662+14+966+240+190+398+9&Q=a25dc578-2720-4105-8d00-ba8fabf8663b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, supposedly new vehicles. Under warranty it says "balance of 3 year-36,000 miles". If it is new why would it state "balance of".
Because the warranty period is based on the in-service date. If these four were all demo vehicles, they could be new (never titled), but have in-service dates that have already passed. But I think Tony's explanation sounds more plausible. Dealerships were offered some pretty incredible deals on LEAFs and I'm sure there has been some of that going on.

We purchased a demo vehicle. I'll be really POed if the IRS tries to rip us off with our rebate. It wouldn't be the first time. We'll know soon enough.

In Virginia there are numerous dealers with "NEW" LEAF's with around 50-400miles on them never titled. DEMO, Dealer test vehicles where the dealer purchased the car outright, recieved the credit and selling the car for the the depreciated cost.

Yes I do believe reading the 7500 credit is for the initial buyer. If you want the credit upfront go LEASE one, youll get the credits upfront then 2-3months down the road buy it out of the lease, You can play and beat the system that way. (might have to wait 6months) either way youll end up with lower payments (possibly) those first few months. Or just take advantage of that $26k aka New Leaf at an already discounted rate and be ahead in the end.

Only suggestion is to take it to a NISSAN dealer and have them run the computer and do a battery check, make sure it pans out then definately do it for $26k.

Carmax is a shady business, but sometimes you can get some deals.

I do not understand why one should buy used for 26K, there are 39 used listed on cars.com below 20K and miles as low as 1KM

ALLWATZ said:

Looks like only 3 now, the original one posted by gaswalla is gone. That was quick.

Does the IRS really have the ability to cross check the VINs of cars getting the $7500 rebate? I wouldn't be surprised to find the taxpayer is getting fleeced right and left on this.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Does the IRS really have the ability to cross check the VINs of cars getting the $7500 rebate? I wouldn't be surprised to find the taxpayer is getting fleeced right and left on this.
I think question is different here, only original owner get MCO, after that title. If dealer registered car than one will get title no MCO. Honesty of taxpayer? I asked dealer selling "new" Leaf on ebay for 23K if comes with MCO, he never reply.

Ok the prices at Carmax are legit. Just received a buyers order and will pick up on Monday a 2012 LEAF SV. Purchase price is $22,238. No MD sales tax and 1.49% financing with PenFed. Also get $7500 tax credit. This is a new untitled vehicle with 4 miles and not a demo. Net price after tax credit is $14,738! Feel pretty good about the deal. Going to wrap the car with business info so I will have a EV riding around Annapolis & Baltimore for less than a new Toyota Corolla.

Insureit1 said:
Ok the prices at Carmax are legit. Just received a buyers order and will pick up on Monday a 2012 LEAF SV. Purchase price is $22,238. No MD sales tax and 1.49% financing with PenFed. Also get $7500 tax credit. .

I will bet just about anything that they have already taken that $7500.

That means you will file your taxes, claim $7500, they will audit due tot the fact that two separate tax returns have claimed $7500 on the same car, and you will lose... Plus penalty.

Caveat Emptor.

Already spoke to the finance manager and have it in writing from them that they have not taken the tax credit and that I will be able to claim it. I am picking the car up on Monday and they said they will confirm with me that they have not taken the tax credit. For all we know they could have gotten some major incentive from Nissan to git rid of these cars. I have bought several cars from Carmax and contrary to so other posts they have almost always had the best prices on new cars. They also have a Toyota dealer in the area and bought a new Camry in June and they had the best price of three dealers I shopped by $1500. No haggle and very easy sales process.

Insureit1 said:
Already spoke to the finance manager and have it in writing from them that they have not taken the tax credit and that I will be able to claim it. I am picking the car up on Monday and they said they will confirm with me that they have not taken the tax credit. For all we know they could have gotten some major incentive from Nissan to git rid of these cars. I have bought several cars from Carmax and contrary to so other posts they have almost always had the best prices on new cars. They also have a Toyota dealer in the area and bought a new Camry in June and they had the best price of three dealers I shopped by $1500. No haggle and very easy sales process.

Congratulations. Like I said in my original post, I would never buy a LEAF again, but this is a great deal for someone who would. There are going to be alot of folks here that are in denial about the deal - some paid almost 15k more for the car 2 years ago (!)... You did your due diligence, I hope it pays off.

One other question Tony. How would they have taken a tax credit on an untitled vehicle with 4 miles? I am only asking because my understanding is they would have had to title the vehicle in order to do so. If there is someway they can take the credit and not title the vehicle and sell it as new (not a demo) please advise. Here is part of the email I received:

"One of the great things about Car Max is that since we are the country's largest retailer of used cars, we can give you our best price up front. You don't have to deal with the hassle and stress of haggling and then worrying about whether or not you got the best deal. The price you see is the price you pay!

You also ask if the Federal Tax Savings where include in the price. It was not"

If there is some way to check before hand please let me know.

i know the GOM is crappy and worthless, but how do you get a car to show 68 miles with 11 bars?
i usually see 80s and charge to 10 bars.

wouldnt a dealer turn off the AC/Heat and put it in ECO to show the max.
that means this GOM really reads about 58.

alright, i see it is in P which reads like D.
but 68 on the GOM with 11 bars?

Back