Why would anyone pay $32,000 for a used leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolfilmaker

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/default.html?AVi=14&id=8138089&N=202&D=50&zip=90277&pD=0&pI=0&pT=400&pC=200&pB=0&No=0&Ep=homepage:homepage%20Mpg&Rp=R&PP=20&sV=List&CD=966+240+398+15+9&Q=adbc4903-9aa5-4b1a-838c-7bd7945b5c67" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No tax credit or anything, just $32,000 for a leaf with 5,000 miles on it. Seems crazy.

coolfilmaker said:
http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/default.html?

No tax credit or anything, just $32,000 for a leaf with 5,000 miles on it. Seems crazy.
It looks like Carmax has 3 Leafs for sale, all used, all in California, and all in that range. Maybe their internal pricing algorithm doesn't know about the tax credit. That would be good news for anyone trying to sell a Leaf. :)

Chevy dealers were buying Volts and then selling them used at fullprice and keeping the tax credit for the dealer. There are uniformed customers out there-- that's one reason they should all be on MNL before they make a big purchase mistake! We've seen a few used ones priced more appropriatly here.

Just like anything else, it's 'buyer beware'; we'd like to think we have a majority of those who own or are thinking of buying a LEAF (new or used) on this forum but that's at best wishful thinking. More and more people use the internet to research pricing, etc. but don't know if it's a majority at this point. I can still remember a few years back while visiting my Dad who is retired in FL how he could get a quote back from car dealer via email and he was amazed ... knowledge is power, whether it's a Carmax selling something or an individual owner. If these LEAF's sit on their lots too long they'll consider dropping the price but if they get their price from an unaware buyer it will stay high, with only 3 they have less to sell than those CA dealers with 'orphans' so time will tell.

Mine new was $25,300 all included. I can't imagine paying more than that amount. Carmax might be over paying which is odd because they seem to low ball pretty hard. High retail is not surprising as all their inventory seems priced high to me.

SteveInSeattle said:
Chevy dealers were buying Volts and then selling them used at fullprice and keeping the tax credit for the dealer.
That was just a "faux" news item, though there were a couple of Hyundai dealers who tried that in IL.

They now show only two for sale (perhaps the third was sold?)... $27,998 and 31,998; once again the tax credit/rebates have been taken by others so price is high, won't duplicate the Carmax search I did but both cars are in Irvine, CA with 5K or 4K miles.

lukati said:
coolfilmaker said:
http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/default.html?

It looks like Carmax has 3 Leafs for sale, all used, all in California, and all in that range. Maybe their internal pricing algorithm doesn't know about the tax credit. That would be good news for anyone trying to sell a Leaf. :)
These are the kinds of numbers that come back from Edmund's. It seems they do not take the tax credit into consideration. I wonder if any non-Nissan dealers have paid too much in trade for a LEAF.

As some have pointed out, and I think it needs pointing out again, the $7.5k tax credit is a dead deal--non-issue unless you have paid taxes in that amount to get the full credit. If you pay only $2k in taxes (hint, hint), your credit is $2k. That ain't too good and does nothing to inspire you to purchase a 2012.

I compared pricing on a new 2012 Leaf with the Feds credit and Cal rebate, the additional sales taxes (which you have to pay for the full price--and again, that ain't cheap in Cally Land), and the math didn't work. Although leasing is always an option, I don't like leases simply because at the end of the lease you still don't own a car unless you buy out the residual value. Good deal? Maybe--maybe not.

I went pre-owned (used) at $29k and thought it was a fair price given what other Leafs were going for in my region. For those not in Cal, do a search and find out what a used Leaf is going for in Cally. Remember, a fed tax credit is really no help here unless you have paid the taxes to get the credit.

You live in SD and use the word Cally? Any person that lives in CA that uses that term should self deport. :lol:

EVDRIVER said:
You live in SD and use the word Cally? Any person that lives in CA that uses that term should self deport. :lol:
He must not be a native. It is like saying "Frisco" when everyone in the Bay Area says they are going into the City (at least they did when I lived there in the 70's).

Stoaty said:
It is like saying "Frisco" when everyone in the Bay Area says they are going into the City (at least they did when I lived there in the 70's).
Yup, they still say that today.

Chieftan68 said:
As some have pointed out, and I think it needs pointing out again, the $7.5k tax credit is a dead deal--non-issue unless you have paid taxes in that amount to get the full credit. If you pay only $2k in taxes (hint, hint), your credit is $2k. That ain't too good and does nothing to inspire you to purchase a 2012.

I compared pricing on a new 2012 Leaf with the Feds credit and Cal rebate, the additional sales taxes (which you have to pay for the full price--and again, that ain't cheap in Cally Land), and the math didn't work. Although leasing is always an option, I don't like leases simply because at the end of the lease you still don't own a car unless you buy out the residual value. Good deal? Maybe--maybe not.

I went pre-owned (used) at $29k and thought it was a fair price given what other Leafs were going for in my region. For those not in Cal, do a search and find out what a used Leaf is going for in Cally. Remember, a fed tax credit is really no help here unless you have paid the taxes to get the credit.

The answer is to lease, then buy out after a few months. You get the full $7,500 credit and you don't pay much of the finance charges, just the few months that you pay the lease payment. I've read that some dealers require you to wait a few months before you do the buyout.

And, yeah, lose the "Cally" crap. Nobody likes it.

Native to "Cally" and I think it's sort of sweet considering we are a bankrupt state. Would you prefer The Left Coast? Californication? Our last governor loved to say "Caalllleeee-Fooooorrr-Neeee-Uhhhhh." :lol: How about CA-CA? Naw, that doesn't work either. I'll stick to CA since no one loves the Cally thing. :D

I wonder what the penalties, fees, etc. are on ending a lease early with a buy-out. Has anyone done this? Would love to have someone here provide what their CA lease was as to downpayment, interest rate, monthly charges, any early penalties, projected residual value, and cost to purchase the car at the end of the lease. With the Fed credit and the CA rebate, that might have made sense for me to go that route but I would like to see some hard numbers, including the sales tax on the full price.

Back