Cannot push front axle in for clicking noise repair

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I (we) had a really tough time removing the left front axle nut and had to get a thread cleaner/chaser for the axle threads. Also am unable to easily push the axle in in order to expose the bearing areas to be lubed with the moly lube. We tried partially installing the old axle nut and tapping it with no success. I am leery of using more force (harder hammer blows) on the axle nut. Any ideas or suggestions? TY, Jerry

There are several ways, There is a "hub puller" with three arms that attach to the lug studs and a pushing screw that forces the axle in, this is the safest method and you can put something between the puller screw and the end of the axle.
Some Auto parts stores "rent" the tools.
A drift slightly smaller than the end of the axle can be held on the end and hit with a hammer. A air chisel with a driving drift in it can be used to hammer the axle in. Both of these methods require a little care and some good aim.

I (we) had a really tough time removing the left front axle nut
I ended up drilling out the stake (parallel to the key) once it was mostly lifted because I was afraid to damage the threads. They do stake the mother hard. It was also brutal to get the nut to initially turn. One took a wrench to take off. I got better and #2 was just over hand tight coming off. I tapped the axle with a sledge hammer to break the initial hold. It then moved in and out very easily. Tip: Hold the axle in firmly while painting the grease in the opening as it gives you more room to not muck up anything else.

I ended up drilling out the stake (parallel to the key) once it was mostly lifted because I was afraid to damage the threads. They do stake the mother hard. It was also brutal to get the nut to initially turn. One took a wrench to take off. I got better and #2 was just over hand tight coming off. I tapped the axle with a sledge hammer to break the initial hold. It then moved in and out very easily. Tip: Hold the axle in firmly while painting the grease in the opening as it gives you more room to not muck up anything else.
I thank all of you for your excellent advice and am acting on it. I was able to borrow the hub puller/pusher from Auto zone and will use it today.

Do I turn the steering wheel to see better? What about turning the road wheel itself?

I didn't need to move the wheels. Holding the axle firmly in while greasing, I could see from the bottom and top where I was greasing without getting grease on anything else.

Back