2014 Leaf battery monthly capacity values

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GregH told me in his rental '13 that it would continue to charge for 30 minutes or more after hitting 284

My 2014 does too, but the charging rate almost is down to an L1 at that point. I reckon the EVSE might have injected another .5 kWh after reaching 284.

Someone needs to go to a Nissan dealer with either the LeafSpy or the LeafStat and gather sample data
from some 2014 Leafs. Let's not continue to guess on this issue.

The data point that skews the GID number is the 67Ahr. This is probably almost 5-10% more than what
my 2013 Leaf had when new. So maybe there is a battery update on some very late 2013s.

lorenfb said:
The data point that skews the GID number is the 67Ahr. This is probably almost 5-10% more than what
my 2013 Leaf had when new. So maybe there is a battery update on some very late 2013s.

what does your range results tell you? are getting 10% less range than other 2013's? I know a direct comparison is impossible but that much difference would be noticeable

After charging the other day after a long trip (90+) the previous day, the GOM indicated
111 miles with GIDs at 260 and capacity at 59Ahrs. The efficiency is at 5.3 miles/kWhr.
Typically the GOM after a 100% charging indicates 90-95 miles.

Bottom Line: It's all about Ahrs life as with ANY battery powered device!

After 9500 miles and 6 months. I know I have seen folks here say that we need to pay more attention to Ahr. I saw an Ahr of 65 the same day a few hours and 35 miles later.

image.png

mkjayakumar said:
After 9500 miles and 6 months. I know I have seen folks here say that we need to pay more attention to Ahr. I saw an Ahr of 65 the same day a few hours and 35 miles later.

My battery temp never gets above 90. Many would say that your high capacity results from
potentially being in low temp state versus SoCal because of a lower year round ambient temp.
Well based on your temp reading, that 'blows' that theory.

lorenfb said:
mkjayakumar said:

My battery temp never gets above 90. Many would say that your high capacity results from
potentially being in low temp state versus SoCal because of a lower year round ambient temp.

its not temperature that is the key player here. I have never seen 90º on my pack either. its more likely tied to balancing and DOD.

loren; what is your driving and charging habits? how often do you say charge to 100% at least 3 days in a row?

how far do you drive daily?

DaveinOlyWA said:
lorenfb said:
mkjayakumar said:

its not temperature that is the key player here. I have never seen 90º on my pack either. its more likely tied to balancing and DOD.

loren; what is your driving and charging habits? how often do you say charge to 100% at least 3 days in a row?

My Leaf gets charged to 100% five days a week and each of those days there's about 90 miles per day.
Again, those very high AHr numbers with no changes just don't seem reasonable.

I charge 100% 5 days a week in the morning before leaving to work and arrive at work with around 55% capacity left. I charge again 100% in the office. Round trip of 80 miles. So that is around 100% charge 10 times every week.

lorenfb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

My Leaf gets charged to 100% five days a week and each of those days there's about 90 miles per day.

your length of ownership and stated driving distances is the thing that is not reasonable

DaveinOlyWA said:
lorenfb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

your length of ownership and stated driving distances is the thing that is not reasonable

And what specific data is unreasonable in your mind?

lorenfb said:

And what specific data is unreasonable in your mind?

you have owned the car for over 8 months, drive 450 miles a week and have just over 9,000 miles?

my calculations say you should have over 13,000 miles IF you took a month off in there somewhere.

this is not mentioning the fact that you are still driving 90 miles with your stated level of degradation.

either way, it does not really matter. we are in two completely different situations and there are others that probably have similar numbers to you as there are others that have similar numbers to mine.

the purpose of all this is to gather information to see if there any sense to this. the Battery Degradation Model has proven to be valuable and accurate but its only a start. as the LEAF evolves, everything changes, hopefully for the better.

- DaveinOlyWA -

"the purpose of all this is to gather information to see if there any sense to this. the Battery Degradation Model has proven to be valuable and accurate but its only a start. as the LEAF evolves, everything changes, hopefully for the better."

Since you now have a second Leaf, you should have very insightful data when comparing the 2011 versus
the 2014 Leaf, e.g. the expected capacity versus time, battery cycling, etc. Did your 2011 Leaf exhibit
numbers like what you're posting for your 2014 Leaf, i.e. a capacity that exceeds 100% what other Leaf
owners experience and no loss at about 9K miles?

Hello,
Here are my batt stats by LeafDD:
2011 Leaf 33k miles - delivered 2/11
Date = 7/15/14
GID = 234
AH = 52.37 @ 100% charge stop
SOC = 91.1875
CAP = 57.4393
SOH = 74.99
Batt Temp = 30.1C ~ 27.0C (~86F)

12 capacity bars showing

Currently driving 45 mile RT 3 days/week commute (90% freeway) charging to 100% in the AM just before departure. Other days charge to 80% w/supplemental charging at home (L2) when needed, average 50 ~ 60 miles/day.
Commute and driving needs have varied over the ownership period.

bowthom said:
Hello,
Here are my batt stats by LeafDD:
2011 Leaf 33k miles - delivered 2/11
Date = 7/15/14
GID = 234
AH = 52.37 @ 100% charge stop
SOC = 91.1875
CAP = 57.4393
SOH = 74.99
Batt Temp = 30.1C ~ 27.0C (~86F)

12 capacity bars showing

Currently driving 45 mile RT 3 days/week commute (90% freeway) charging to 100% in the AM just before departure. Other days charge to 80% w/supplemental charging at home (L2) when needed, average 50 ~ 60 miles/day.
Commute and driving needs have varied over the ownership period.

Thanks for posting. I'm also using a LeafDD, so correlating data is very easy:

2013 Leaf 9k miles - delivered 11/13
Date = 7/16/14
GID = 263
AH = 59 @ 100% charge stop
SOC = 97
CAP = 61
SOH = 93
Batt Temp = 79 F (avg)

Compared yours @ 33K, my battery doesn't look good @ 9K.

astricklin said:
mkjayakumar said:
At any rate, it's all fun and games until your second summer

and by that time you are almost getting ready to return the car for a new lease..

That all depends on if you have a 24 or 36 month lease. If I am not mistaken a larger percentage of people have a 36 month lease as it seems that the payments are the best for this period and this is what is additionally promoted by Nissan.

And, at least in California, the state rebate is contingent on keeping the car for 3 years...

Following this thread with interest. I haven't lost a bar yet with my 2012 but it has been some time since the GOM tantalized me with 3 digits. Based on capacity readings I think I'll have lost a bar or be close to it by the time I return the lease in December. Definitely interested in seeing some lizard-battery numbers by the end of summer. A Dragon Battery would be even better! :p

lorenfb said:
- DaveinOlyWA -

"the purpose of all this is to gather information to see if there any sense to this. the Battery Degradation Model has proven to be valuable and accurate but its only a start. as the LEAF evolves, everything changes, hopefully for the better."

Since you now have a second Leaf, you should have very insightful data when comparing the 2011 versus
the 2014 Leaf, e.g. the expected capacity versus time, battery cycling, etc. Did your 2011 Leaf exhibit
numbers like what you're posting for your 2014 Leaf, i.e. a capacity that exceeds 100% what other Leaf

like everyone else, I have no clue. I was way over 9,000 miles when I first received any monitoring equipment (GIDmeter in Feb 2012 which was 13 months after getting LEAF 1) but the meter did show a full 281 several times although the average was probably more like 275ish.

the real thing to understand though is that the 2011 and 2013 packs are not comparable. the 2013 simply has more range and its not a little more range as suggested by Tony's driving test. Nissan claimed a 14% improvement in the JN test cycle and that is just about what I see here as well.

now, I am not using LA4 or the "TW" cycle test. I am using my driving patterns in my neighborhood

DaveinOlyWA said:
lorenfb said:
- DaveinOlyWA -

like everyone else, I have no clue. I was way over 9,000 miles when I first received any monitoring equipment (GIDmeter in Feb 2012 which was 13 months after getting LEAF 1) but the meter did show a full 281 several times although the average was probably more like 275ish.

the real thing to understand though is that the 2011 and 2013 packs are not comparable. the 2013 simply has more range and its not a little more range as suggested by Tony's driving test. Nissan claimed a 14% improvement in the JN test cycle and that is just about what I see here as well.

now, I am not using LA4 or the "TW" cycle test. I am using my driving patterns in my neighborhood

It would be interesting, if you have the capability, to determine as you're driving when the first bar
'drops' and the Ahr capacity at that point. My Leaf consistently 'drops' the first bar at about 53.5-54 Ahr.

Back