2014 Leaf battery monthly capacity values

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now this is interesting. After two weeks of real cold weather - sub zeros - my Leaf is now charging to between 275 to 280 Gids. Up from 256 Gids one month ago when we are at high 80F.

Just hit 17K miles today and the GID meter had these values at a full charge with the outside temperature just around 35F

Attachments

• IMG_3568.JPG
    IMG_3568.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 122
mkjayakumar said:
Now this is interesting. After two weeks of real cold weather - sub zeros - my Leaf is now charging to between 275 to 280 Gids. Up from 256 Gids one month ago when we are at high 80F.

Just hit 17K miles today and the GID meter had these values at a full charge with the outside temperature just around 35F

hardly unusual

DaveinOlyWA said:
mkjayakumar said:

hardly unusual
The '11-12 LEAFs after the P3227 update don't do this. Before the update they did. Interestingly, the P3227 update was said to bring the firmware behavior more in-line with the '13+ LEAFs at the time, but now it appears that '13+ LEAFs have fluctuating GID counts similar (but different) than the '11-12 LEAFs pre-P3227 update. Just makes it more difficult to use GID counts as an accurate indicator of battery capacity.

"Just makes it more difficult to use GID counts as an accurate indicator of battery capacity."

Or any variable, e.g. Ahrs, for any MYs. If true, then very disappointing.
Although, I've not seen this as my case for my MY 2013 Leaf.
My Ahrs are very stable in decline.

GID counts as an accurate indicator of battery capacity

Atleast I can attest that I have more range and charge when the GIDs are at 279 .vs. 256 in summer. So this increase in GID count is I believe a reflection of higher capacity now. In that sense GIDs are a decent indicator of capacity.

The capacity indeed increases and decreases by ambient temps

mkjayakumar said:
GID counts as an accurate indicator of battery capacity

Atleast I can attest that I have more range and charge when the GIDs are at 279 .vs. 256 in summer. So this increase in GID count is I believe a reflection of higher capacity now. In that sense GIDs are a decent indicator of capacity.

The capacity indeed increases and decreases by ambient temps

Have run SEVERAL experiments and can change my battery stats at will. Temperature changes play a part but other factors are included including top end balancing, distance driven on consecutive days, etc.

What is really needed is a much more info on your daily driving

Checking in at 20K miles and 12 months.

100% Gids vary between 255 on a 60F day to 270 on a 30F day. I even once hit 280 a few weeks ago. But I expect this to fall to mid 250 and then downwards once warmer weather hits in March or April.

Went for a battery check and denied all other services(brake fluid flush, cabin filter change, tire rotation yada yada). 1 year maintenance cost is $0. Since the inspection sticker is valid for two years, there is no other cost expect registration renewal, until I return this in about 12 months. But I expect that I would need to change atleast two tires before the lease ends.

What do you think of the 2014 compared to the 2011. Is the battery holding up better or about the same?

mkjayakumar said:
Checking in at 20K miles and 12 months.
100% Gids vary between 255 on a 60F day to 270 on a 30F day. I even once hit 280 a few weeks ago. But I expect this to fall to mid 250 and then downwards once warmer weather hits in March or April.
Went for a battery check and denied all other services(brake fluid flush, cabin filter change, tire rotation yada yada). 1 year maintenance cost is $0. Since the inspection sticker is valid for two years, there is no other cost expect registration renewal, until I return this in about 12 months. But I expect that I would need to change atleast two tires before the lease ends.

Yes. Absolutely better than the 2011 I had. I have been beating the hell out of my 2014 charging it to 100% twice a day (only due to lack of 80% choice), and I think it is holding off much better than 2011 at the same 12 month mark.

Having said that I am not still certain this will come close to anywhere what Nissan originally promised us with 80% after 5 years. Given that how long it stayed at 280+ Gids - for nearly 8k miles - and how it rapidly came down to 255 end of the summer, I am wondering if all Nissan did was to add more cushion at the top by adding 1 or 2 KwH more, and the BMS now is simply using the unused buffer as the battery degrades in the first year or two. So that way you will not notice any degradation initially and most users will not lose 4 bars in 5 years/60k miles, but the battery degrades at the same rate nonetheless. Just speculating, given Nissan's history of lack of transparency and honesty in this area.

Here are my stats after just shy of 12 months. No noticeable degradation of real-world driving range.

Miles: 19535 / 177 L3 QCs, 322 L2s
AHr 62.20 / SOH 95% / Hx 95.78% / SOC 97.2% / Temp 55 degrees

An AHr of 62.2 after 19K miles (almost the same as mine) after 12 months is not bad at all for Texas Leaf.

Can you give a GID reading at 100% ?

mkjayakumar said:
An AHr of 62.2 after 19K miles (almost the same as mine) after 12 months is not bad at all for Texas Leaf.

here are my readings from oct.2013 and jan.2015
my 100% gids are 284

http://www.goingelectric.de/forum/nissan-leaf-batterie-reichweite/wieviel-gids-hat-euer-leaf-t2232-260.html#p160889" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

xado1 said:
mkjayakumar said:

my 100% gids are 284

http://www.goingelectric.de/forum/nissan-leaf-batterie-reichweite/wieviel-gids-hat-euer-leaf-t2232-260.html#p160889" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:eek: Wow! 15 months, 20,000 km and 150 QCs have INCREASED your battery capacity (as calculated by your BMS) from 61.55 Ah to 67.07 Ah!

during sommer i lost capacity,because of slow charging.
i do always 100%charging,but use it always after full charge.sometimes i make 2-3 96% QC a day.(thats when my QC cuts off)

xado1: So technically you haven't lost any capacity at all in over 15 months and many QCs !! Phenomenal.

I am more interested in caffeinekid's Gid values since he lives in hot Texas.

RegGuheert said:
xado1 said:
mkjayakumar said:

my 100% gids are 284

:eek: Wow! 15 months, 20,000 km and 150 QCs have INCREASED your battery capacity (as calculated by your BMS) from 61.55 Ah to 67.07 Ah!

very nice maybe not as rare an occurrence as we think

Just installed the BAFX Bluetooth adapter, verified its operation with Leaf Spy Lite, then uninstalled Lite and bought & installed Pro. The only numbers I have so far are from the car sitting in Run mode:

AH 56.81 SOH 86 Hx 85.07
107 GIDs @ SOC 48.4
Max difference between pairs 11mv, no shunts
L1&L2 charges 289
L3 charges 18

2014 SL manufactured 1/14, leased 3/14, 7707 miles in 12 months, Asheville NC. Most of the charging hasn't been to 100%, and most winter charging was L1. It's only been below LBW a handful of times and VLBW maybe twice. Still have 12 capacity bars, and range has returned to normal after dropping markedly in cold weather (temps in teens F).

Just had the 12-month service and got a stellar battery report (of course).

The capacity numbers look pretty low - others have reported improvement after multiple empty-to-full QCs. Do my numbers suggest that the BMS doesn't have an accurate picture of the actual capacity?

Back