2014 Leaf battery monthly capacity values

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lorenfb said:
"Most of us can't get nearly that high"

That's the point!

How is it that one reports the max GIDs (284) consistently with mileage far exceeding a new vehicle
just off the production line? Obviously there's a battery distribution indicating GIDs with mileage,
but to have some still with max GIDs with significant mileage becomes questionable, i.e. a battery
is battery and it's NOT like a huge tantalum capacitor that basically doesn't loose charge capacity
over time with use.
Yeah.. I don't know.. I drove that 2013 rental for a few weeks.. maybe 500-800 miles? It consistently went up to 284 Gids and kept charging, but I did note the Hx value decline slightly over that time. Perhaps from about 110% to 105%. Extrapolating down I would guess at some point it couldn't hit 284 but I don't recall exactly when that point is reached. Some other poster on MNL did note the Hx value but I don't recall (102? 103?). I went looking for that car at the dealership a few months back but they had moved it to another dealer far away. It would have been interesting to note the latest capacity.

I just hit 10k miles on my 2013 Leaf. Gids rose last fall from low 260's up to 280 and have held there for months now. Hx is 99. I have one of the weird Leafs produced early 2013. We'll see what happens to Gids once this winter is over (if that ever happens).

DougWantsALeaf said:
My leaf is floating between 255 and 256 gids, and has a Hx of 89%. Only 4K miles. Want to switch batteries? (my leaf was manufactured in 4/2013 in TN)

That's probably with mine at the center of the 'bell curve'. The others with typical mileage still at the
max is incredible. Nissan must have pre-selected all the ~2000 18650 cells (not), or testing a different
Lithium technology in some Leafs.

This issue is interesting!

I would believe that quietly Nissan is trying multiple battery chemistries to see which ones work the best, then sends that data back through carwings to see how it performs in the field. The warranty program just gives them a catch all mechanism in case one trial goes very poorly.

We are still in the very early days of commerical electric vechicles (outside of golf courses).

Hope we can see stability and increased storage in the next release.

Prod: 1/2013
Purchase 3/6/2013
2013 SV (no QC option)

16,000 miles and 284 gids.

It appears I can get a 284 gid reading if I interrupt cell balancing or immediately after full charge. If I wait a few hours after a full charge it drops to 283. .. no complaints here :)

Wow.. 100% capacity after 16K miles and 12 months?. That is "unprecedented". Agreed that you live in a cold climate area, but still to see zero degradation after one year and good number of miles - I am pleasantly shocked.

Are you sure your Gid meter is working correctly ?

Phat cat, I am jealous. My SOC is now 89%. What does yours read?

I wonder if the batteries are just vary variable.

Phat cat, have you seen any degredation in range in the year you have had the car?

mkjayakumar said:
2014 Leaf SV
Manufactured: 01/14/2014
Bought on: 01/31/2014

I am planning to use this thread to post my Gid values month on month on a 100% charge. I drive close to 75 miles or more every weekday and also drive a bit on the weekends. I expect to rake up good amount of mileage each month. I will simply update this post with latest values.

I do have an ODBII adapter, but don't have an Android device for the application. Will get one soon. That will give us more Ah useful values.

Given that the 2014 Leafs do not have 80% charge limit, I am afraid I will be charging to 100% every day morning.

Here goes my first entry:

Feb-10-2014, Mileage: 300, Gids: 284

no way to check ahr or Hx? these would be valuable. FYI; mine started signs of degradation at 5100 miles

DougWantsALeaf said:
Sorry, I am in the north side of Chicago. The gids stopped dropping when the weather was below freezing, but are slowly tricling down again. I don't have a starting gid number as I only got the meter in the last coupld months.

what did you start out with?? 284? to say you have "x" GIDs now means little since there is a wide disparity in readings. what is more important is how much change you have seen

3/24/2014 (miles not recorded) Ahr 65.02
4/15/2014 (1500 miles) Ahr 62.71
4/30/2014 2064 miles Ahr 63.14
5/13/2014 2466 miles Ahr 63.33

(Edits to update as needed)

2013 SV built 3/13 purchased 3/31/13

4/3/14 66.72 AHr 100 SOH 284 Gids 14146 miles Battery temp 54.7F

This was the norm until the temperature spiked last week with a high of 76F.

Now the BMS appears to be "protecting" the battery:

4/15/14 62.52 AHr 95 SOH 271 Gids 14146 miles Battery temp 70F

bradbissell said:
2013 SV built 3/13 purchased 3/31/13

4/3/14 66.72 AHr 100 SOH 284 Gids 14146 miles Battery temp 54.7F

This was the norm until the temperature spiked last week with a high of 76F.

Now the BMS appears to be "protecting" the battery:

4/15/14 62.52 AHr 95 SOH 271 Gids 14146 miles Battery temp 70F

Brad; mine did the same thing but I did a fast charge and two days later i went from 96% back to 100%.... weird eh? but happens after every fast charge.

I've never used a L3 charger (do not have the port), but the rapid increase in temp would be an explanation for the battery "protection". Do people see this issue when parking in an air conditioned space and then drive in hot places like Phoenix?

bradbissell said:
I've never used a L3 charger (do not have the port), but the rapid increase in temp would be an explanation for the battery "protection". Do people see this issue when parking in an air conditioned space and then drive in hot places like Phoenix?

not sure that the pack can respond that quickly to temperature changes. it frequently takes more than a day for my batt temps to drop back to near ambient after most fast charge sessions

April 17th: 3 months and 5000+ miles, still at 284 Gids. Have been charging 100% twice a day, every workday.

It has been unusually cool (a bit chilly) this month so far.

Back