Feature requests/input for MUXSAN 45kWh replacement LEAF battery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would there be a business case proposal for dropping the intended capacity in half?

All of these solutions seem to focus on massive packs compared to the Gen1 leaf.

Here’s what I see.
Better density would give a lower overall weight, improving performance
Lower weight may contribute to reduced consumption, possibly equaling the original 24kwh range
Extra space inside the pack allows for passive air cooling and less loading
Costs would be dropped, and a better economic calculation to improve an older car vs a complete vehicle upgrade - which in most cases is simply cheaper overall.
Shipping costs reduced
Tax costs reduced
Lastly - the range offered by a light weight 20kwh pack would be better than double the range of the vast majority of Gen1 owners who might consider this. If 50m/80km is working for them now, getting back to near double that is a great bonus and extends the life by at least another 10yrs
This is what I want. A light 20kWh pack (also capable of 160kW :) ), but I see you covered this -- I will continue to hunt for a 12 bar 24kWh pack.... @mux what's the projected weight of this 40kWh unit?

Hi @mux IMHO any new battery pack should not rely completely on internal passive BMS to balance cells. Use cases for the battery are so many that a BMS that is good for normal commuting use does not work for a taxi use.
So the feature request is to:
1) move BMS outside the pack in a water proof place
2) having the BMS accessible without take down the battery
3) having the BMS accessible, for Taxi use case, make sense to periodically apply active balancing instead to rely on passive BMS that does not work well, or becouse it is faulty or because can't work well in case of many QCs.

The only way to allow the BMS to work is to charge really slowly and after a strong unbalance, it is necessary to vaious cycle of discharge and charge slowly to allow a good capacity count and a good balancing. Something really hard for a taxi.

My 2c.

Back