2014 Leaf battery monthly capacity values

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mkjayakumar said:
April 17th: 3 months and 5000+ miles, still at 284 Gids.

It has been unusually cool (a bit chilly) this month so far.

oh i should add...

it took 2 QCs and about 3 days but I am back over 100% Hx again... totally weird. also; not quite sure since its not a number i pay that much attention to but I think i have a near all time high of 22.8 kwh available on my charge from yesterday morning. I think the highest previous number I remember seeing was 22.6

My 2014 must be a jewel. It is a cayenne red SL. It is not unusual for me to get 90 to 100 miles per charge. Yes the weather in NC has been mild. Little use of heat or ac. I do drive in Eco and b mode most of the time. So far so good. So what I can tell, the 2014 is a much better vehicle than previous models.

At 6500 miles right after a full charge, details through the latest iPhone App:

GIDs 284
SOC i97.30%, even though the GIDs is 284. Not sure what that means
SoH 103% what does that mean ? how can state of health be over 100% ?
Ahr 67.36 - is this a good number ? What should that be for a new Leaf?

IMG_5613.jpg

mkjayakumar said:
At 6500 miles right after a full charge, details through the latest iPhone App:

GIDs 284
SOC i97.30%, even though the GIDs is 284. Not sure what that means
SoH 103% what does that mean ? how can state of health be over 100% ?
Ahr 67.36 - is this a good number ? What should that be for a new Leaf?

67.36 is what most new packs have

SOC is 97.3 because the part above that is NOT charged EVER. SOH; state of health is a statement of the health of the battery and that is about as definitive as it gets. hope that helps you more than it helped me :)

Keep in mind; any single reading must be taken with a grain of salt. they can vary widely based on recent charging habits, DoD, and even how far you drove the day before

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2014/04/fighting-father-time.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2014/04/spring-cleaning-ev-maintenance-and.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

despite having GID readings as low as 271 on a full charge, I still get 284 on a regular basis...IF I drive the car!

So far it appears that my 2014 is holding better than all the 2011s we have seen in the first few months. Especially given that I charge twice daily to 100% and drive really really fast in high 70s and low 80s mph, pretty much keeping up with the traffic on the left lane. [I also suspect that my speedometer is off by +3% or so]

But again the temps have only now in the last week hit high 80s here. So the next one month will determine if there is any real improvement in the 2014 pack.

mkjayakumar said:
So far it appears that my 2014 is holding better than all the 2011s we have seen in the first few months. Especially given that I charge twice daily to 100% and drive really really fast in high 70s and low 80s mph, pretty much keeping up with the traffic on the left lane. [I also suspect that my speedometer is off by +3% or so]

But again the temps have only now in the last week hit high 80s here. So the next one month will determine if there is any real improvement in the 2014 pack.

are you using a monitoring program like LEAF Spy?

No one knows how well the 2011s held up the better part of the first year since we had no way to monitor it then... But there is no solid reason to believe that the later models are any better...

mkjayakumar said:
So far it appears that my 2014 is holding better than all the 2011s we have seen in the first few months.

TomT said:
No one knows how well the 2011s held up the better part of the first year since we had no way to monitor it then... But there is no solid reason to believe that the later models are any better...

mkjayakumar said:
So far it appears that my 2014 is holding better than all the 2011s we have seen in the first few months.

very true. the only thing i fairly certain of is we have access to a greater portion of the pack then the 2011's which likely accounts for most of the additional range

At 8100 miles and 4.5 months on June 10th, as seen in Leaf Stat iPhone app.

Gids: 284 / 22.72 kWh
SoC: 97.25%
Capacity: 99.98%

Ahr: 66.24

SoH: 101.59 %

While the GIDs have not decreased, the Ahr a month ago was 67.36. So Ahr has come down as the temps have hit 90F+ on a few days now. The battery temp of course stays well above 90F for most part of the day.

Tony's range tests showed that there was actually no appreciable difference in range between a pre-2013 and a 2013/2014 so I question that...

DaveinOlyWA said:
very true. the only thing i fairly certain of is we have access to a greater portion of the pack then the 2011's which likely accounts for most of the additional range

DaveinOlyWA said:
mkjayakumar said:

are you using a monitoring program like LEAF Spy?

He's using the JUST released Apple app. He needs to find someone with a Leaf Spy app
and correlate the data. Those numbers are very questionable! Or maybe he's got a new
battery technology that Nissan is testing, (don't think so).

My vehicle, '13 (11/13), has about 7.5K mikes and only has about 58 Ahrs & about 260 GIDS.

TomT said:
Tony's range tests showed that there was actually no appreciable difference in range between a pre-2013 and a 2013/2014 so I question that...

DaveinOlyWA said:

do you also dispute 284 GIDs?

Mtown0031 said:
My 2014 must be a jewel. It is a cayenne red SL. It is not unusual for me to get 90 to 100 miles per charge. Yes the weather in NC has been mild. Little use of heat or ac. I do drive in Eco and b mode most of the time. So far so good. So what I can tell, the 2014 is a much better vehicle than previous models.

LOL, you think your 2014 is a jewel because you can go 90-100 miles on a charge? When I had my new 2011 I drove 100 miles easily on an 80% charge and over 120 miles on a 100% charge in city driving. It was very easy to average 5.8m/kW h or better. :mrgreen:

He's using the JUST released Apple app. He needs to find someone with a Leaf Spy app
and correlate the data. Those numbers are very questionable!

The iPhone app simply reads the same data that the Can bus computer puts out through the OBDII port, as the Andriod app. So if the iPhone app says 284 GIDs or 66 Ahr, it is what the Leaf computer puts out. So there is nothing questionable about that. FWIW, I also have a regular GID meter and the GIDs match with the iPhone App.

You can of course question the data the Leaf computer puts out, which I also think is a bit suspect.

TomT said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
The '13+ LEAF does appear to charge to slightly higher voltages than the '11-12. Commonly see 4.12-4.13V on the '13+ after 100% and fully balanced. Biggest problem with the '11-12 is that it never gets top-balanced as well as the '13+ so you seem to get stuck with one or more cell-pairs at 4.07 or 4.08V - significantly below the average - which ultimately ends up limiting range.

I'd love to see a lot of LeafSpy screenshots of various cars at 100% to better confirm.

There is already anecdotal evidence that there are oddities in some reported data on 2013 and 2014s, so I'm not sure how much weight to give Gids on those cars...
What IS empirical is that Tony saw no difference in range in real world driving during his tests. And, after-all, that IS the bottom line...

DaveinOlyWA said:
do you also dispute 284 GIDs?

TomT said:
There is already anecdotal evidence that there are oddities in some reported data on 2013 and 2014s, so I'm not sure how much weight to give Gids on those cars...
What IS empirical is that Tony saw no difference in range in real world driving during his tests. And, after-all, that IS the bottom line...
Personally, I'd like to see the test repeated every year. It's quite possible that there are changes to the cars that make it out mid-model year at least. There seems to be quite a bit of anecdotal evidence supporting that it's a lot easier to go farther in the latest model LEAFs.

One thing I'm noticing in my 2012 (with a bar lost) is that I rarely get anything above 90% true SOC when doing a full charge (even on L1), while newer cars are charging to 97% true SOC. The onboard charger of the '13+ cars can do very fine current at the last bit of charge and Nissan is obviously doing better balancing and slightly higher cutoff voltages (as drees said). I'm sure there's a bit of chemistry tweak as well.

284 Gids appears to be the cutoff on the top end of what the BMS reports. GregH told me in his rental '13 that it would continue to charge for 30 minutes or more after hitting 284. The Hx and SOH numbers were above 100% too (Hx was something like 110-116%). They both dropped slightly but gid count remained the same on that car while he had it.

At any rate, it's all fun and games until your second summer. ;)

mkjayakumar said:
At any rate, it's all fun and games until your second summer

and by that time you are almost getting ready to return the car for a new lease..

That all depends on if you have a 24 or 36 month lease. If I am not mistaken a larger percentage of people have a 36 month lease as it seems that the payments are the best for this period and this is what is additionally promoted by Nissan.

Back