Trying to decide which used Leaf to buy

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubbs

Hello, I am in the market for a used leaf.
My main question is which year (or battery size) is best for my needs. Although I only have a total round trip commute of 26 miles, I often drive a total of about 60-70 before going home to charge. Thanks for your help!

I'd get the 62kWh battery.

Range is decreased in the cold, a side trip to a restaurant or grocery would be no concern, driving fast is less efficient, so no concern there; the range (battery capacity) may reduce over time...

You can't have too much battery. IMO

Agreed, any 2019 or later model with the 62 kWh battery, but also the battery is in good condition such as the previous owner wasn't in an accident in which maybe the battery modules got shifted or damaged, etc. My 2020 + (62 kWH) is nearly +100K miles and only 11% battery health drop. Even with that, I'm still getting +250 miles of range on a full charge with normal city driving and easily the rated "EPA" range of 215 miles of "don't care about range" driving. Keep in mind an EV is still a "car", so even with a flawless battery, it can still have worn axles, bad wheel alignment, AC needs recharge, etc. So as with anything, balance out and good and bad of what you want in a used vehicle be it EV or Gas.

Thank you both for that input! That increased range seems definitely worth saving a little longer to get a 2019+ Leaf. Plus my Corolla is still running strong at 208,000 miles.

I would buy the newest one you can afford, as long as it has the 62KWH battery. In your position, I would save up for a 2019+ model, especially if the Corolla still runs well. Like you, I keep my gasoline cars well past the 200,000 mile mark. I doubt most Leafs (Leaves?) will reach that, but I want the longest-lasting car I can feasibly get. I have to think a bigger battery pack is likely to last longer before the range gets too short to be practical. FWIW, so far I have been very satisfied with the 2023 SV+ that I bought used in April.

I would ask why Nissan Leaf. I bought one for my wife cheaply and replaced the battery cells. Otherwise don't buy. Buy Hyundai Kona ot MG ZS, at least you won't have to worry about the batteries. I bought Kona for myself. It should run for at least 250,000 miles which no Leaf will see with original battery.

I would ask why Nissan Leaf. I bought one for my wife cheaply and replaced the battery cells. Otherwise don't buy. Buy Hyundai Kona ot MG ZS, at least you won't have to worry about the batteries. I bought Kona for myself. It should run for at least 250,000 miles which no Leaf will see with original battery.
You might be trading a traction battery issue for a reduction gear issue in a used Kona.

I passed over a used Kona, due to the potential reduction gear issue and the that my local Hyundai dealer's service department doesn't' answer the phone due being overwhelmed with warranty work.

Unless you live in a hot climate, or are looking for road tripping car, a Nissan Leaf with a large battery is certainly worth looking at.

We went with a '21 Kona Ultimate but let me tell you it was a neck and neck race to the end. We would have been very pleased with a Leaf Plus.

Leaf: CHADEMO plug (not really an issue b/c we rarely planned to go far from home), aircooled battery (not an issue if not frequently fast charging).
Kona: reduction gearbox (replacement is a couple thousand dollars after warranty, can do the work myself if necessary).

It came down to which deal presented itself first.

Back