San Diego Leaf Fanatics!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can make it, I believe, but would need to arrange for serious charging time to get back home ... but, I could drive the Prius, which has not been used for the 7 days since "Maple" arrived.

Where are those QC stations when you need them?
Even just ONE, located north of the 1-5/805 fork would be GREAT.

Will an EVProject rep. come and show us the QC locations-in-progress?

I do not care so much about the L2 locations, as they are rarely fast enough to be truely helpful, and a 240v socket would be as helpful, and a lot less expensive.

This will be my first visit to the group. I have a Cheyenne Red Leaf on order. Delivery delayed until the month of June. Do you meet in any particular section of the restaurant?

yeah, usually in the far back furthest from the door near the ice cream machines. you won't be able to miss us (and if you do, just look for the guys eating ice cream for breakfast! :) )

We're expecting a pretty sizable group, and like sdbonz said, we'll be in the back of the HTB...After we get done with the food (and the ice cream), then we'll have to mosey out front to check out all the Leafs and goodies...I'm going to bring my camera this time and we'll get everyone set up for a good group shot outside....

See everyone on Saturday!!!

Red Randy

derkraut said:
I really wanted to come----I live 3 miles from there; but I'm in Chicago, going to my mother-in-law's funeral on Saturday. (Seriously!) :(
My condolences. We'll see you when you get back.

Reading SDG&E "Smart" meters via the IR-RS232 port:

Since my meter (not TOU but Net Metering for Solar PV) was recently replaced with a non-spinning-disc, electronic "Smart" meter, and it has the IR-interface to extract data, etc. ...

1. Is there now (since last October) any better/faster/exact method of ordering one of these interfaces?

I see T??pro has both ANSI and IEC? versions, and USB and RS232 versions. Is the ANSI Universal RS232 better, or the ANSI-USB model?

Is there now good software to support it, extract data, graph it, etc., or is RRD still the best?

For Win OSs, I could write a VB program to interface nicely, if I had the communication message standards.

Does the meter hold 1-minute data, or does one need to be "connected" for the duration of the monitoring.

GroundLoop, maybe you would send me your Pearl scripts?

I do not have a separate meter for just EV charging, so maybe somebody (possibly with an IR interface already) would like to "play"?

If there is interest, we should probably start a new "PU Meter Logging via IR Port" thread.

IF you have an SDG&E digital meter for Solar, but not ToU (no Second Meter with subtractive TOU billing), then you probably have the iTron OpenWay "NET" meter?

Unfortunately, the customer password for this meter is still unknown (to me).

Each ANSI meter has three logins:
Customer
Reader
Technician/Installer/Master

The Customer password of the SDG&E GE Kv2c meters is well-known and universal. (as is the Reader password, which can't do much more)

The Customer password of the iTron meters hasn't been disclosed. Unless you can get SDG&E to tell you what it is, you might be out of luck altogether, regardless of data interface or software.

The meter does store the interval data for the last 60 seconds, last hour, and so on. I'm reading the meter every 30 seconds (approximately) and getting one-minute resolution on demand and totals. It has quite a bit of precision.

You can see the Total generation/consumption, and the usage in each of the three time spans. For example:

Code:
2011-05-25 08:06:02 DST Wed T:143.901242  A:0.873748  B:1.167760  C:141.859735  Now:12.45W
2011-05-25 08:07:06 DST Wed T:143.901450  A:0.873748  B:1.167968  C:141.859735  Now:12.45W
2011-05-25 08:08:02 DST Wed T:143.901657  A:0.873748  B:1.168175  C:141.859735  Now:12.45W

I've done 100% of my charging in super-off-peak. The Blink's idle standby power accounts for the Peak/Off-Peak (A/B) usage.
It's also important to make sure the Blink or Leaf timer agrees precisely with the meter.
If the car starts charging one minute early, it will tally in the B rate, of course.

I set the timer to :10 past the hour to avoid this.

The format of the messages, protocol (encoding, CRC and handshake) are all documented in ANSI specifications.. See ANSI C12.18 and C12.21, for example.
The particular RS-232 to Optical adapter has zero influence on the protocol.. most of the inexpensive ones are direct pass-through, baud rate and all. (The bluetooth/wifi adapters have more smarts, of course.)

I know reports of sightings are probably passé now, but having received one of the first cars, it felt somehow significant when I had my first true in the wild sighting today on my (bike) commute. (We have 3 blue Leafs in our immediate neighborhood, and I know the other owners, so when I see a blue one near home it doesn't really seem to count, and a few other potential distant sightings I had in Jan/Feb I later concluded were probably Mazda 3's.) Anyway, today I definitely saw a white Leaf (green Mossy dealer graphic in the plate frame) near the Sorrento Valley Coaster station. Didn't get close enough to give them a thumbs up, but it gave me a feeling that finally things are really underway. I see probably 10-15 Priuses a day on my ride, and I've really been itching to start spotting Leafs.

Yes, it is labeled as iTron Openway, with a red "NET" sticker added. The label also says Type C2SODL2, CL200, TA30, and FN2S.

So, without the Customer Password for the iTron Openway ...
we get nothing?

It has a black button at 2:00 that goes through the front glass to press a plastic "spring-bar" inside. The similar bar at 10:00 inside is not accessable.

The meter itself appears to be built by "Centron".

Thanks, Gary

wsbca said:
I know reports of sightings are probably passé now, but having received one of the first cars, it felt somehow significant when I had my first true in the wild sighting today on my (bike) commute. (We have 3 blue Leafs in our immediate neighborhood, and I know the other owners, so when I see a blue one near home it doesn't really seem to count, and a few other potential distant sightings I had in Jan/Feb I later concluded were probably Mazda 3's.) Anyway, today I definitely saw a white Leaf (green Mossy dealer graphic in the plate frame) near the Sorrento Valley Coaster station. Didn't get close enough to give them a thumbs up, but it gave me a feeling that finally things are really underway. I see probably 10-15 Priuses a day on my ride, and I've really been itching to start spotting Leafs.

Wow - 3 in your neighborhood, and all blue! which neighborhood is that? We have a lot of hybrids in our University City neighborhood (4 in our cul-de-sac!), but no other Leafs that I know of. We recently got a red Leaf, and my wife saw another red one near Children's Hospital (while she was driving ours). I have yet to see another one myself though - it would still be exciting for me to see another. Even a Volt would be interesting though I don't know if I would recognize it immediately.

I was at the Padres game on Monday and spotted my first Leaf in the wild parked in the MTS parking structure. Silver, no rear plate/frame, Mossy Nissan front plate. Does it belong to anyone from this forum? I used my ICE on Monday and haven't tried going all the way to Petco from North County. I typically park at Old Town and take the trolley to the game. I'm curious about the distance traveled by this particular Leaf.

Back