San Diego Leaf Fanatics!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rhover said:
kevin672 said:
rhover said:
My kids are seeing Leafs as well - my daughter saw a white one and a red one today. I'm still looking for a Volt!

I have seen one Volt, about a month ago, at a Vons in Carlsbad.

I will get a nice up close and personal tour of a Volt next weekend when I go to Santa Barbara to visit my parents. They got their Volt last week. They are already bragging that they can come down and show it to me, knowing that I can't take my Leaf up to see them until we get a nice string of public 440 chargers.

Their Volt is replacing a Honda Accord for longer trips. Their around town car is already a Toyota RAV4-EV.

Anyone interested in seeing if we can get a screening of The Revenge of the Electric Car in San Diego? I just signed up on their website http://www.revengeoftheelectriccar.com/see-the-film.html and put in for San Diego. I wonder whether we have enough interest to host a screening?

In keeping with the original thread... we finally got our Silver Leaf about a month ago, and we're just east of Carmel Valley. For fun today I parked near one of my work pals so our Leafs could keep each other company in the parking garage!

Anybody going to the ecotality commercial launch event at the Ruben H Fleet tomorrow at 10:30? There putting 3 stations by the theater - speech by the mayor, etc. My office is only 1/2-mile away, so I plan to drop by if I can break away.

Was at the Air & Space Museum this afternoon for a different event, and they were just finishing putting 7 charging stations in that parking lot. Charging will be free for now, and we also just realized that having an EV may guarantee a good parking spot for that lot if they're able to keep non-EVs from parking there. (Like having a disabled placard legitimately without needing a disability!)

JCBNJB said:
Anyone interested in seeing if we can get a screening of The Revenge of the Electric Car in San Diego? I just signed up on their website http://www.revengeoftheelectriccar.com/see-the-film.html and put in for San Diego. I wonder whether we have enough interest to host a screening?

Hey, JC, I just requested it, too, although we'd probably need dozens (or more) before they would rent a theater for us.

I produced a documentary that recently played in San Diego (Under the Boardwalk: The Monopoly Story), so I know most of the local theater options if we want to try to organize our own thing.

JCBNJB said:

I just put in another request for San Diego (Sorrento Valley).

cbiwww said:
JCBNJB said:

Hey, JC, I just requested it, too, although we'd probably need dozens (or more) before they would rent a theater for us.

I produced a documentary that recently played in San Diego (Under the Boardwalk: The Monopoly Story), so I know most of the local theater options if we want to try to organize our own thing.

CB, I just looked up Under the Boardwalk - it looks fabulous! Congratulations! Maybe we could do a double feature screening?

I have no idea how these things work, so I defer to your expertise as to whether it makes sense for us to try to get our own screening. Otherwise we can just start a new thread and campaign for votes for them to bring it to San Diego! :)

JC, I forgot that "Revenge" is still in it's festival run. If they haven't signed a distribution deal yet, I'm sure they will soon, and suspect it will come to Landmark Hillcrest, La Jolla, or at least the Ken late summer or early fall. We can all meet up then!

In the meantime, if Under the Boardwalk plays in San Diego again, I'll let you know. And if you can't wait, you can always order a special pre-release edition of the dvd at monopolydvd.com!

Here's the picture that I posted showing all 49 VISIBLE plug-in cars (I spotted #50, a Cayenne Red Leaf, down at a lower level, later on):

FiftyCarsInBalboaPark.jpg

JCBNJB said:

In keeping with the original thread... we finally got our Silver Leaf about a month ago, and we're just east of Carmel Valley. For fun today I parked near one of my work pals so our Leafs could keep each other company in the parking garage!

I put my request in the day the movie opened. BTW Be sure to read my revenge story on the site:
http://www.revengeoftheelectriccar.com/CustomContentRetrieve.aspx?ID=3854642

OK San Diego LEAFers - have a 82 mile round trip coming up from Encinitas to Chula Vista and trying to decide if we should take the LEAF or the Prius. Route is fairly undulating as anyone familiar with the area will know.

My calculations show that at 65 mph it will be borderline. At 60 mph we should have about 10 miles to spare which gives us some leeway especially since I expect it to be warm enough to need to use the A/C. Backup plan would be to stop at Nissan Kearny Mesa for an hour to charge up a bit on the way back if range falls short (where are those quick charge stations when you need them - a 5-min quick charge would be plenty to ease any range anxiety!). Can't use the new Blink stations at Balboa Park - don't have an RFID card yet.

I know some of you guys are driving long distances fairly regularly - any suggestions? I expect to need to keep the dash mi/kWh reading at 4+ to make it without charging. If it were just me I'd do it without hesitation - but with the family in tow and the first long trip..

drees said:
but with the family in tow and the first long trip..

If you were alone, I'd say go for it. With the extra weight, I think it will be a close call. I do San Marcos to Old Town (60 miles) all the time with 2 people and have 2-3 bars remaining when I get home. The mileage estimate is about 20 miles remaining. The killer is the climb up I-5 when you get to La Jolla. It uses a couple of bars.

Southbound, I take El Camino Real through Rancho Santa Fe and get on I-5 at Del Mar Heights Road. It follows the river valleys and is a pleasent 45 mph ride. I get to Old Town on 3 bars.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=205060422280177305464.00049c6adb69e19010213&msa=0

BTW there is also a Nissan dealer on the Mile of Cars in National City.

drees said:
OK San Diego LEAFers - have a 82 mile round trip coming up from Encinitas to Chula Vista and trying to decide if we should take the LEAF or the Prius....Backup plan would be to stop at Nissan Kearny Mesa for an hour to charge up a bit on the way back if range falls short (where are those quick charge stations when you need them - a 5-min quick charge would be plenty to ease any range anxiety!)...If it were just me I'd do it without hesitation - but with the family in tow and the first long trip..
It depends on how chill your family is. Personally, I might chicken, but if the stop in KM isn't a big deal I'd consider it. If you do it, make sure that you have a firm sense of how many bars gone would cause you to make the KM stop, so you aren't dithering when the time comes. If you're worried, they'll be worried, if you're confident, no matter if you have to stop or not, they won't worry.

BTW, I'd call Ecotality and see if they can drop can RFID in the mail to you ASAP. Balboa Park would be a much more pleasant stop than KM.

JCBNJB said:
cbiwww said:
JCBNJB said:

CB, I just looked up Under the Boardwalk - it looks fabulous! Congratulations! Maybe we could do a double feature screening?

I have no idea how these things work, so I defer to your expertise as to whether it makes sense for us to try to get our own screening. Otherwise we can just start a new thread and campaign for votes for them to bring it to San Diego! :)

JCBNJB, as expected, the Revenge producers just announced their distribution deal. Here's a summary of the press release:

"WestMidWest Productions and the independently owned ‘event’ based theatrical distribution company Area 23a have partnered together to theatrically release “Revenge of the Electric Car,” the latest documentary from Chris Paine (“Who Killed the Electric Car”). The film is slated to hit the U.S. this fall, through major city theatrical runs and special event screenings courtesy of Area23a. If you want the documentary to hit your city, visit the film’s website to request it in your market. The markets with the most votes will get the film first."

So everyone go to the website and request it, and we'll all meet up to see it in the fall!

Excellent! Thanks for the news, CB. Should we start a new thread to get the SD Leafers to request it?

- JC

P.S. Finally picked up my new lic plate today! Wahoo! The Leaf finally feels "dressed!"
It's a kids plate - {hand} BBYGAS I am looking forward to the comments I may be getting...

downforceusacom said:
does anyone know if it's 10pm or 12am, to start charging your leaf. for best rate ?
If you have the 2nd meter with SDG&E and are part of the EV project, super-off-peak rates run from 12am-5am 7 days a week. Peak rates run between 12pm-8pm and regular off-peak rates are all other times. Summer/winter switchover happens May 1st and Nov 1st.

Back