Phoenix metro-area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Timaz said:
Thanks for your responses, what a great bonus that I did not even know about !

You will get another 'bonus' when you see how much the Registration fees are, unless it has been changed for new cars. But with my dedicated cng, they are only $22/two years. That was based on a 2000 Honda Civic GX. I'm keeping my blue plate (no sticker). :D

If purchasing your vehicle from out of state, you will need to know about the following:

This is the link for info on the Restricted Use 3-Day Permit which will be required to drive your vehicle from the point of delivery to Motor Vehicle Department
for registration. The cost for the 3 day permit is $1.00

https://servicearizona.com/webapp/permit3/permitInfo.do#896

This is the link to actually apply for and receive (online) your 3 Day Permit

https://servicearizona.com/webapp/permit3/start.do?popularclick

Alternative Fuel Vehicle Information

Registration – Permanent registration for alternative fuel vehicles (AFV) with a declared gross vehicle weight (GVW) of 12,000 lbs or less has been eliminated. AFV owners that were previously issued permanent registration were converted to an annual registration period.

Vehicle License Tax (VLT) – The VLT for an AFV is changed to a rate of $4.00 per $100 of assessed valuation, which is determined by the following:

For the first year, the assessed value is 1% of the factory list price (FLP) of the AFV.
For subsequent years, the assessed value is depreciated 15% each year.
The minimum VLT for an AFV registration is $5.00.
Fees – In addition, an AFV is subject to: $8.00 vehicle registration fee, $8.00 one-time special plate or sticker fee, 25¢ Air Quality Compliance Fee (if in an emissions test area) and a $1.50 Air Quality Fee.

Special Plate – The special plate or sticker authorizes the vehicle to use the HOV freeway lanes at any time regardless of the number of passengers. For more information on the Alternative Fuel special plate, see the Special Plates and Placards page.

Bi-Fuel – Bi-fuel vehicles (vehicles that can operate on gasoline and another fuel independently) may not be registered as AFVs and receive the Alternative Fuel license plate, effective September 30, 2009. As a result, the vehicles are no longer eligible to receive the reduced vehicle license tax (VLT) and may not be driven in the High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes with less than two occupants (including the driver) during peak hours.

Current bi-fuel vehicle owners are allowed to keep alternative fuel plates, but if a license plate is lost it cannot be replaced and it cannot be transferred to another bi-fuel vehicle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frequently Asked Questions
1) Does the new law keep the permanent registration and exemption from vehicle license tax?

No. You will have to pay the lower vehicle license tax that applies to AFVs and renew your registration on an annual or two year basis.

2) The new law removed the provision for permanent AFV registration. Does this mean that my registration is changed from permanent registration to an annual? Will I receive a refund and/or credit for fees paid to purchase the permanent registration?

Yes, to both. The fees paid will be applied to the annual registration, prorated for the amount of time already used.

3) Do I have to display the AFV plates?

Yes, if your car can be driven on one of the qualifying alternative fuels.

No, if you remove or disable the alternative fuel tank such that the system is not functional. You will be required to pay full registration fees. You may be subject to some recapture of the tax credits depending on when you remove or disable the alternative fuel tank.

4) Can I still drive in the HOV lanes?

Yes, as long as you have a current AFV special plate.

5) Does my AFV need to be emissions tested?

Yes, if you live in or commute for work or school to Area A (Maricopa County and some areas of Yavapai and Pinal Counties) and Area B (Pima County). If you own a bi-fuel vehicle, emissions testing must be conducted on both types of fuel.

New original equipment manufactured AFVs (current year models and 2 previous model years) have the option of paying an Emissions Exempt fee with the vehicle registration, instead of being tested. That fee goes to the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) for the state Air Quality Fund.

Other AFVs do not have the option and must be tested. Hydrogen, solar and electric powered vehicles are exempt from all emission testing requirements.

For more information on AFV exemptions, visit the ADEQ website, or if you have technical questions regarding AFV emissions testing, contact the Vehicle Emissions Inspections section of ADEQ in Phoenix at 602-771-3954 or in Tucson at 520-628-5630.

6) What should I do if I own a bi-fuel AFV and no longer want to use the alternative fuel? Can I just get a regular plate?

Yes. You (owner or lessee) must go to an MVD office, surrender the AFV plate and pay full registration fees. You must remove or disable the alternative fuel tank such that the system is not functional. You may be subject to some recapture of the tax credits depending on when you remove or disable the alternative fuel tank.

7) What type of license plates are eligible for use on an AFV?

An AFV may only display the following plate types: AFV plates, personalized AFV plates, Farm plate, Disability, Personalized Disability, Apportioned plate (IRP) or honored military plates (Congressional Medal of Honor, Former Prisoner of War, Purple Heart, Purple Heart Personalized, Pearl Harbor Survivor). No other plate may be displayed.

SilverLeaf said:
Alternative Fuel Vehicle Information

Registration – Permanent registration for alternative fuel vehicles (AFV) with a declared gross vehicle weight (GVW) of 12,000 lbs or less has been eliminated. AFV owners that were previously issued permanent registration were converted to an annual registration period.

Vehicle License Tax (VLT) – The VLT for an AFV is changed to a rate of $4.00 per $100 of assessed valuation, which is determined by the following:

For the first year, the assessed value is 1% of the factory list price (FLP) of the AFV.
For subsequent years, the assessed value is depreciated 15% each year.
The minimum VLT for an AFV registration is $5.00.
Fees – In addition, an AFV is subject to: $8.00 vehicle registration fee, $8.00 one-time special plate or sticker fee, 25¢ Air Quality Compliance Fee (if in an emissions test area) and a $1.50 Air Quality Fee.

Special Plate – The special plate or sticker authorizes the vehicle to use the HOV freeway lanes at any time regardless of the number of passengers. For more information on the Alternative Fuel special plate, see the Special Plates and Placards page.

Bi-Fuel – Bi-fuel vehicles (vehicles that can operate on gasoline and another fuel independently) may not be registered as AFVs and receive the Alternative Fuel license plate, effective September 30, 2009. As a result, the vehicles are no longer eligible to receive the reduced vehicle license tax (VLT) and may not be driven in the High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes with less than two occupants (including the driver) during peak hours.

Current bi-fuel vehicle owners are allowed to keep alternative fuel plates, but if a license plate is lost it cannot be replaced and it cannot be transferred to another bi-fuel vehicle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frequently Asked Questions
1) Does the new law keep the permanent registration and exemption from vehicle license tax?

No. You will have to pay the lower vehicle license tax that applies to AFVs and renew your registration on an annual or two year basis.

2) The new law removed the provision for permanent AFV registration. Does this mean that my registration is changed from permanent registration to an annual? Will I receive a refund and/or credit for fees paid to purchase the permanent registration?

Yes, to both. The fees paid will be applied to the annual registration, prorated for the amount of time already used.

3) Do I have to display the AFV plates?

Yes, if your car can be driven on one of the qualifying alternative fuels.

No, if you remove or disable the alternative fuel tank such that the system is not functional. You will be required to pay full registration fees. You may be subject to some recapture of the tax credits depending on when you remove or disable the alternative fuel tank.

4) Can I still drive in the HOV lanes?

Yes, as long as you have a current AFV special plate.

5) Does my AFV need to be emissions tested?

Yes, if you live in or commute for work or school to Area A (Maricopa County and some areas of Yavapai and Pinal Counties) and Area B (Pima County). If you own a bi-fuel vehicle, emissions testing must be conducted on both types of fuel.

New original equipment manufactured AFVs (current year models and 2 previous model years) have the option of paying an Emissions Exempt fee with the vehicle registration, instead of being tested. That fee goes to the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) for the state Air Quality Fund.

Other AFVs do not have the option and must be tested. Hydrogen, solar and electric powered vehicles are exempt from all emission testing requirements.

For more information on AFV exemptions, visit the ADEQ website, or if you have technical questions regarding AFV emissions testing, contact the Vehicle Emissions Inspections section of ADEQ in Phoenix at 602-771-3954 or in Tucson at 520-628-5630.

6) What should I do if I own a bi-fuel AFV and no longer want to use the alternative fuel? Can I just get a regular plate?

Yes. You (owner or lessee) must go to an MVD office, surrender the AFV plate and pay full registration fees. You must remove or disable the alternative fuel tank such that the system is not functional. You may be subject to some recapture of the tax credits depending on when you remove or disable the alternative fuel tank.

7) What type of license plates are eligible for use on an AFV?

An AFV may only display the following plate types: AFV plates, personalized AFV plates, Farm plate, Disability, Personalized Disability, Apportioned plate (IRP) or honored military plates (Congressional Medal of Honor, Former Prisoner of War, Purple Heart, Purple Heart Personalized, Pearl Harbor Survivor). No other plate may be displayed.

Now (was just in the newspaper), we'll be able to get a five-year registration if we choose. And I wonder if the Volt buyers realize they won't be able to get an AF plate or use the HOV.

leaffan said:
Now (was just in the newspaper), we'll be able to get a five-year registration if we choose. And I wonder if the Volt buyers realize they won't be able to get an AF plate or use the HOV.

The first year plates/fees will be $33.75 if I am thinking right; plus sales tax for those of us buying out of state.

I am thinking that the Volt people will not be happy to be excluded from having an AF plate. The other issue now is that only pure EV's are allowed to use EV charging spots; no plug-in hybrids (the Volt included) are allowed to do so. I can forsee Volt people parking in them anyway... but they can legally be towed just as someone who parks in a disabled spot without the plate or hangar. I look for both issues to be brought up and changes made.

This brings up my whole issue with the Volt anyway... not a true electric vehicle... should have to yield to a pure EV if only 1 charger is available, etc... a whole other soapbox issue.

I just got off the phone with etec.

They said I "scored very well" on the survey and was put into a "pre-approved" class where an assessment isn't really needed. They said they *may* have someone come out and take a look, but I'm real low on the priority list for that. I guess they are concentrating on some of the more complex or questionable installs.

-Mike

turbo2ltr said:
I just got off the phone with etec.

They said I "scored very well" on the survey and was put into a "pre-approved" class where an assessment isn't really needed. They said they *may* have someone come out and take a look, but I'm real low on the priority list for that. I guess they are concentrating on some of the more complex or questionable installs.

-Mike

Same here Mike (pre-approved), but my only problem is that Nissan doesn't know I've been approved, so I'm going to have to click on the DC port option, then have the dealer remove it.

Further confirmation from ADOT about HOV Use and Alt Fuel License Plates

ADOT Response: Dear Sir, the HOV lane requirements were recently updated to match federal law. An electric car falls under the definition of "alternative fuel" and the owner is eligible to apply for an AltFuel license plate. Vehicles w/these plates may use HOV lanes during peak periods w/o passengers. You will find AltFuel information online @ http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/vehicle/mvdplate.asp, click on Alternative Fuel. Thank you.
9/1/2010 1:07:07 PM

Your Input: I will be purchasing an ELECTRIC VEHICLE (Nissan LEAF) in late December 2010 or early January 2011. Will I be able to register this car as a alternate fuel vehicle and be able to use the HOV lane with SINGLE OCCUPANCY at that time. The current HOV Lane Use benefit expired on July 1, 2010. The references are Arizona Statute 28-337 and Arizona Statute 28-2416 Please clarify the SINGLE OCCUPANCY HOV LANE USE for Electric Vehicles (specifically the Nissan LEAF) purchased and register on or after December 1, 2010. Thank you
9/1/2010 9:56:38 AM

What a great experience dealing with Greg of Rairdon's Nissan of Auburn, WA

The entire experience was wonderful. What a true professional.

From entering the dashboard through RAQ through acceptance took less than 15 minutes.

I am expecting a December delivery to Washington State, and a January delivery to Arizona.

Thanks to all the folks in AZ on this board for helping in deciding to go through Greg in Washington.

I'm looking forward to all of us becoming the Leaf Owners Society of Arizona, with our first meeting at the delivery truck unloading location. Good Luck to the rest of you, as well. We're on our way to owning the finest vehicle available in America.

SilverLeaf said:
What a great experience dealing with Greg of Rairdon's Nissan of Auburn, WA

The entire experience was wonderful. What a true professional.

From entering the dashboard through RAQ through acceptance took less than 15 minutes.

I am expecting a December delivery to Washington State, and a January delivery to Arizona.

Thanks to all the folks in AZ on this board for helping in deciding to go through Greg in Washington.

I'm looking forward to all of us becoming the Leaf Owners Society of Arizona, with our first meeting at the delivery truck unloading location. Good Luck to the rest of you, as well. We're on our way to owning the finest vehicle available in America.

Congrats. I placed my order through Danny and Fontana. I did not want to deal with the shipping issue and having my car sit in Seattle while the other cars arrived (to be shipped together). My car should be in CA in December and I will promptly go after it with my trailer.

Let me know when your truck will be here and I will meet you all there with my Leaf... and bring my digital SLR camera... we will have to document this!

I really expect all five (or maybe six) LEAFs to arrive in Seattle on the same date, on the same truck.
I expect that a few days later, they will all be forwarded on to Phoenix.
We'll definitely keep you in the loop and hope to see you on Delivery Day!

I just submitted my request and have been speaking to the dealer, a lot of confusion and an antiquated process. We are thinking of leasing and got the free eTec charger and quick charge port. We are looking forward to driving gas free.

azwildbill2 said:
I just submitted my request and have been speaking to the dealer, a lot of confusion and an antiquated process. We are thinking of leasing and got the free eTec charger and quick charge port. We are looking forward to driving gas free.

Where did you lease/buy?

We need everyone from AZ to send letters to there Congress and Representitives. Below is a letter I have send. You can use it or write your own. Ask that they pass a law that would make EV sales tax exempt.

Use this link to find who your contact would be.

http://www.congress.org/

Dear Arizona Senators and Representatives:

Please help lead Arizona’s electric vehicle adoption. As one of your constituents, I urge you to aggressively promote the statewide adoption of zero-emission all electric vehicles as a visionary investment.
Specifically, I ask you to:

Support aggressive incentive rebates like the states of California. Georgia, and Missouri. I believe an incentive of $5,000 may be too high in this economic climate but something like $2,000-3,000 would help people immensely to buy an electric vehicle instead of a gasoline one.

Support an all Electric vehicle sales tax exemption as solar panels are currently.

Vigorously support the construction of accessible and reliable electric vehicle (EV) charging stations within your district and statewide.

Enable people to quickly install EV charging stations at home by facilitating the permit process and by encouraging the development of consistent inspection standards.

Zero-emission electric vehicles are critical to achieving economic and energy-independence goals. EV production strengthens our state’s economy while improving air quality by lowering the number of gas-powered cars and trucks on the road.

But to make zero-emission-vehicle adoption a widespread reality, we need a network of conveniently located charging stations. And convenience begins at home.

Unfortunately, the process for obtaining the necessary home-installation permit can be lengthy. Your leadership is urgently needed to help avoid delays that discourage EV adoption, including ensuring that local inspectors are available and trained in order to meet the growing EV demand. Thank you for considering my request. Your support for electric cars puts you at the forefront of leaders dedicated to achieving energy independence, while creating a better quality of life.

Everyone,

Have you seen any work being done on the infrastructure? I marked some locations on the eTec map on their website, but haven't seen anything being built yet. Also, does anyone know if the old Paddle Charging locations will be replaced with the new chargers? (AZ Center for example?).

Thanks!
Bill

I be leave they will be converted or the new standard installed next to it but we will have to see. It is still 3 or 4 months away.

Back