Nissan To Install 500 More Quick Charge Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Valdemar said:
TonyWilliams said:
It's prorata:

From 19:15:00 To 10:45:00 $10.00 per hour

All Other Times $15.00 per hour

It is a 25kW charger, right? How long does it take to charge, say from LBW to 80%?

Yes, 60 amps instead of 120 amps. We had some great graphs from TickTock that I can't find right now, but all the high amp charging is done at the bottom of the charge.

LBW is about 17%, so the battery can certainly take more than 60 amps, but by 50%, the 120 amp unit starts ramping down and when it hits 60 amps, both chargers are then charging at exactly the same rate all the way to 100%.

As for speed, a warm (new) battery can charge (according to Nissan) in 25 minutes from LBW to 80%. The Fuji 25kW might do that in 38 minutes.

dhanson865 said:
TonyWilliams said:
drees said:
BTW: I am all for paying for use of QC. For QCs, I'm a fan of paying by the minute like the San Juan Capistrano station does.

I hope we continue to lead the pack with this pricing model; I'm not aware of a single other US charger setup this way.

So you are looking forward to people standing by the charger to pull out as soon as they have enough charge like they are pumping gas at a gas station?

Folks rarely charge much over 30 minutes. There are many charges under 10 minutes. That's exactly how I envisioned charging would be... unlike a gasoline car that you might normally just fill, the far slower filling electric needs just enough charge to move on to the next spot.

I'd feel sorry for the person that wonders why it charges so slow after it hits 80% and ends up paying outrageous prices to charge the last few percent.

On L2 charging, I pay the same rate with my 10kW charger as you do with a 3.3kW LEAF with the fixed hour charging (that we don't have).

dhanson865 said:
So you are looking forward to people standing by the charger to pull out as soon as they have enough charge like they are pumping gas at a gas station? I suppose if it is an L3 and it goes quick enough you could stand there watching it charge then move the car immediately after hitting your desired charge.
Yes, at a DCQC people should always unplug and move their car as soon as they have what they need. The only qualifiers I would make to "standing by the charger" are a) sitting in your car is acceptable, and b) a quick trip to a next door fast food place at the start of the charge is permissible.

dhanson865 said:
I'd feel sorry for the person that wonders why it charges so slow after it hits 80% and ends up paying outrageous prices to charge the last few percent.
I wouldn't. I would just hope they learned their lesson.

Ray

We're very happy with the San Juan Capistrano QC and hope it gets plenty of use. The one time my family and I used it, we were there for half an hour and got more than enough charge to comfortably make it to Diamond Bar to use the Blink QC at the AQMD headquarters. (That was a ~269 mile day in the LEAF.)

Also, one week ago, Danny at Fontana Nissan told my wife that they're still expecting to have a QC installed very soon. :)

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11827#p276629" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4 DCQC coming to Southern California, starting with one @ Carson Nissan.

I stopped by Power Nissan of South Bay in Hawthorne, CA right off the 405 and inquired about a quick charger. The man in the main office said that they are definitely getting one and actually have the charger. They are waiting for the permit from the city to begin installation. He said hopefully that will be in a week or two. He said they are planning to put it next to the current two L2 chargers right in front.

I asked about pricing and he said initially it will be free but they will implement a charge system. He mentioned that they are considering a $20 a month - unlimited charging membership. I forgot to ask about the cost per-charge for the occasional use.

When it comes to dealerships, it is always good to take things with a grain of salt, but he did sound like he knew what he was talking about. But of course, they always sound confident. :)

For those going up and down the 405 near LAX, this is definitely a good location. I don't think I've been to another dealership with as many L2 chargers are Power.

Sounds like there will be plenty of options for QC when going South. What about going North on 101, Oxnard-Ventura-Santa Barbara, SLO, anyone has any info?

x10guy said:
He mentioned that they are considering a $20 a month - unlimited charging membership.
Great! Another charging station with a screwed-up business model. Well, at least there will not be any long lines there for access.
x10guy said:
I forgot to ask about the cost per-charge for the occasional use.
...which is the only thing that makes sense for chargers that are not free.

Advertising 16 cents per minute is a lot different (to most)
than simply stating 10 dollars per hour... to clearly indicate
the by-minute nature of the charging fees.

The by-minute fees also encourage disconnecting earlier,
rather then "using-up" your half-hour,or hour.

Likewise, a monthly subscription plan just encourages
"hogging" the QC by commuters, rather than just
leaving when you have enough fuel.

Nissan of Downtown LA - 635 West Washington Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90015
Nissan of Elk Grove 8590 Laguna Grove Dr, Elk Grove, CA 95757
Connell Nissan 2850 Harbor Blvd Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Glendale Nissan 727 S Brand Blvd Glendale, CA 91204
Power Nissan of South Bay 14610 Hindry Ave Hawthorne, CA 90250
Carson Nissan 1505 E 223rd St Carson, CA 90745

Google map of all locations: California Nissan QC Stations

Two more for the list, Carson Nissan and Power Nissan of South Bay.

Pretty good network building up in Los Angeles now - a few more along I5 would be nice...

While trolling Plugshare this morning, I discovered yet another new DC QC in SoCal. A little OT, because it is not Nissan, but I am posting here because this thread is active.

San Gabriel & W. 6th, Azusa, CA, 91702, NE corner, a small free parking lot not far from Azusa City Hall. Just under 1 mile N. of I-210 from Azusa off-ramp.

I visited this location this PM. The installation of a dual-hose Blink DCQC appears to be complete, possibly just waiting for final inspection and activation.

I took pictures, but unfortunately my camera somehow recently got set in RAW mode, and my antique PPC Mac doesn't have software to process this format for this model Canon.

Azusa, while a small town, has their own electric utility, so they may well be giving themselves a break on demand charges for this unit.

This DCQC at Glendale could be my gateway to Ventura and beyond.

Glendale also has their own public utility with the possibility of demand charge relief.

I talked to Glendale's internet sales guy Tuesday AM, and he reported that the DCQC unit is on site and he expects it to be installed this week. Of course we need to allow for final inspection, activation, etc.

Has anyone checked with Fontana Nissan ? You would think they would be getting one, but that is SCE territory.

JeremyW said:
Glendale Nissan is pretty far along too. :D

wnvMFl7.jpg

lmAFRMh.jpg

Regarding rate relief on demand charges, yesterday I spoke with Scott Briasco of LADWP who told me there had been discussion of a reduced demand charge, but that no action would be taken at this time. This is unfortunate, but it's not the end of the discussion. It's incedibly hard to get changes in rates at any utility, so those affected will just have to keep trying and hopefully, the city will see clear that this would be good policy.

Returned to Azusa yesterday with camera reset for photos of their new Blink DCQC.

IMG_2941-L.jpg

Unit was powered-up, but screen showed "Offline for Maintenance." In an extremely small font I could just make out what looked like a Linux install script. Several times it appeared to finish, then it asked me to calibrate its touch screen. I followed directions, but then it just kept re-booting its whole install again. Your EV Project tax $$ at work.

IMG_2948-L.jpg

Neighborhood is a little scruffy. Seems ok during the day, but not so sure about night. Right across the street from US Post Office, but otherwise nothing nearby. Target is two blocks north.

More new Blink L2 in Azusa Power & Light parking lot 1 1/2 blocks north. Units powered up, but rejected my Blink Plus card. Blink CS told me my account was fine, but that Azusa had restrictions on access. Azusa CS inside was surprised, told me that I was their first customer, and that it was not their intent to restrict access. Posted on Plugshare.

dcpatters said:
Stopped by Connell Nissan yesterday, their's is ready to go. Just waiting for the green flag before allowing public access.

I stopped by as well - talked to Wade who works there. Installation looks complete. Here is a pic

tbleakne said:
Returned to Azusa yesterday with camera reset for photos of their new Blink DCQC.
Just went by today for lunch.. the Blink guys were out installing signs and the unit (still) says its upgrading software... What is this, Windows? Pizza place, Subway, Quiznos all within a block.. The Blink guys said it is operational (50kW) but it seems still a day or two away from being online.

tbleakne said:

IMG_2941-L.jpg

Unit was powered-up, but screen showed "Offline for Maintenance." In an extremely small font I could just make out what looked like a Linux install script. Several times it appeared to finish, then it asked me to calibrate its touch screen. I followed directions, but then it just kept re-booting its whole install again. Your EV Project tax $$ at work.
This is pretty much normal for Blink stations. They are offline more times than not.

Back