2012 Nissan leaf is not charging, interesting situation

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somedude

My 2012 Nissan Leaf stopped charging about a year ago (beeps once with no dash lights when charger plugs in). EVSE works and no charge timers FYI.

I bought another cheap 2012 Nissan Leaf quickly after. The new Leaf has been fine but the battery is terrible, so I have to fix the old one.

I thought the issue was the onboard charger, so I swapped them. The issue was gone (with no DTC codes)! The old car with a "new" onboard charger started charging! I got a full charge overnight.

The next day I started I drove it around a bit, then I got home, plugged it in and... one beep and no dash lights...

So I put the "old" onboard charger into the new leaf and the new leaf started charging! So the onboard charger is not the issue.

Any ideas why the old leaf stopped charging again? Knowing that the onboard charger works, EVSE works, and the charge timers are off ....?

Thanks in advance!

Somedude said:
My 2012 Nissan Leaf stopped charging about a year ago (beeps once with no dash lights when charger plugs in). EVSE works and no charge timers FYI.

I bought another cheap 2012 Nissan Leaf quickly after. The new Leaf has been fine but the battery is terrible, so I have to fix the old one.

I thought the issue was the onboard charger, so I swapped them. The issue was gone (with no DTC codes)! unblocked games 76 boasts a diverse collection of over 1500 games, spanning across various genres, including action, adventure, puzzle, strategy, and more. The old car with a "new" onboard charger started charging! I got a full charge overnight.

The next day I started I drove it around a bit, then I got home, plugged it in and... one beep and no dash lights...

So I put the "old" onboard charger into the new leaf and the new leaf started charging! So the onboard charger is not the issue.

Any ideas why the old leaf stopped charging again? Knowing that the onboard charger works, EVSE works, and the charge timers are off ....?

Thanks in advance!

While the issue isn't with the charger itself, it could be related to its connection or another component in the charging system.
Check all connections related to the charging system, including the EVSE plug, onboard charger connectors, and battery terminals. Ensure everything is firmly plugged in and free of corrosion.
Pay special attention to the connection points where you swapped the chargers, as they might have become slightly loose during the process.

I thought the issue was the onboard charger, so I swapped them. The issue was gone (with no DTC codes)! The old car with a "new" onboard charger started charging! I got a full charge overnight.

Thanks in advance!
What you are describing is that the charging handle is not correctly connecting....
My 120v charging handle never has that problem unless leaves or ice get in there.
my 6.6kw charger often has that problem. I jiggle the charging handle up and I hear a click..and it starts charging normally

Thanks in advance!
Did you get this figured out yet? My brother has almost the exact same situation. Acts like it’s going to charge then all the lights go out.

I agree with DHyatt's answer. If there are no DTCs, then the problem is likely the charger socket in the car. My car does the same thing if I don't insert the J1772 plug securely. It shouldn't cost much to get a replacement socket and its attached cable from eBay and install it in your car. No reason to have to drive a car with crummy range.

" Acts like it’s going to charge then all the lights go out. "

Has your brother tried pressing the charge timer disable button to the right of the steering wheel. The button has a clock with a cable & line through it.
Just in case he has the charge timer set.

I agree with DHyatt's answer. If there are no DTCs, then the problem is likely the charger socket in the car. My car does the same thing if I don't insert the J1772 plug securely. It shouldn't cost much to get a replacement socket and its attached cable from eBay and install it in your car. No reason to have to drive a car with crummy range.
There are DTCs. B29c1 and p3173. The timer is off. Also does anyone know if the on board chargers with and without chademo interchangeable?

Here's a thread on those specific DTCs if you haven't seen it:

https://mynissanleaf.com/threads/ze0-onboard-charger-troubleshooting.33388/
But....you swapped the chargers and they both worked in the opposite cars, so they are likely fine, and the above thread won't apply to your case.

I'm back to thinking there is an intermittent connection in the J1772 socket and cable. You've put both cars on the same charger right? And the one with the crappy battery is the only one that reliably charges?

Back