Nissan To Install 500 More Quick Charge Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PaulScott said:
TonyWilliams said:
San Diego county is still on complete lockdown with our Nissan monopoly (two companies own all the dealerships) with zero CHAdeMO's.
Tony, what does this mean, "lockdown"? Do these dealer not want the free chargers? That doesn't make much sense.

Sorry I wasn't clear... no, they don't want the "free" chargers. The complaint is electrical cost. I have offered to take over the electrical costs if they accept the free chargers with $30k IRS tax credit.

I have not gotten a yes yet.

TonyWilliams said:
PaulScott said:
TonyWilliams said:
San Diego county is still on complete lockdown with our Nissan monopoly (two companies own all the dealerships) with zero CHAdeMO's.
Tony, what does this mean, "lockdown"? Do these dealer not want the free chargers? That doesn't make much sense.

Sorry I wasn't clear... no, they don't want the "free" chargers. The complaint is electrical cost. I have offered to take over the electrical costs if they accept the free chargers with $30k IRS tax credit.

I have not gotten a yes yet.
Amazing! I've got 28 LEAFs in stock, so maybe people in San Diego should come up here to shop for their LEAFs. Our dealership, Nissan of Downtown LA, strongly supports the LEAF.

PaulScott said:
Amazing! I've got 28 LEAFs in stock, so maybe people in San Diego should come up here to shop for their LEAFs. Our dealership, Nissan of Downtown LA, strongly supports the LEAF.

Well, they've sold about 1000 down here. They like making money selling them. That's not the problem!!

But, if folks do buy from you, rest assured that in the next few weeks, there will be numerous choices of places to get a DC quick charge to drive your new car all the way to San Diego.

TonyWilliams said:
Well, Nissan if you're listening, send those rejected "free" chargers up here to WA. I have several places that could use them around Pasco/Kennewick/Richland. We have one of the highest levels of PhDs per capita. In short, lots of potential customers but people always ask me whether they can drive 200+ mi to Seattle. Give us a couple of QC's and you'll sell thousands of Leafs. Oh, we have too much electricity during the May/June/July vacation travel time and the cost of electricity is $0.05-0.08/kWh.

TonyWilliams said:
Sorry I wasn't clear... no, they don't want the "free" chargers. The complaint is electrical cost. >>>
The problem may be similar at Raceway Nissan, E. of Riverside, which would be a good location for access to Idyllwild and Palm Springs.

Demand charges are probably the biggest concern. Glendale, Downtown LA and Riverside are supplied by municipal electric utilities, which possibly might grant some demand charge relief eventually. A lot more territory is supplied by SCE and SDG&E, both investor-owned with high demand charges. Kudos to Connell, who is going ahead despite being in SCE territory.

My recollection is that the issue of demand charge relief for public EVSE was scheduled to be reviewed by the PUC in 2013.

The photos appear to show that the pads being poured are smaller than typical, which is consistent with the smaller footprint of the Sumitomo DCQC units. Presumably these units are also lighter, which can save on installation costs. Nice.

Connell announces that their Nissan DCQC is installed! Waiting for City of Costa Mesa approval before opening it to public use.

Those of you who were hoping for a Saturday charge as part of a trip south should probably plan differently. I haven't spoken with Connell, so call them to verify if you wish.

Their Facebook page has a photo and an opportunity to "Like" and or discuss. Just search Connell Nissan on Facebook or https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=596462210383143&id=194468313915870&set=a.199256563437045.57430.194468313915870&__user=689358762" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JeremyW said:
Glendale Nissan is pretty far along too. :D

wnvMFl7.jpg

lmAFRMh.jpg

Where is that? By their service entrance? That's where I usually go there.

Picked up a '13 SL this week from Connell Nissan. Their quick charging station is going in within the next couple weeks. I didn't read through the entire thread, so not sure if it's been mentioned. Nevertheless, good news for those in Irvine, Costa Mesa, etc.

EDIT: Read Boomer23's response. It's been covered already. :D

dcpatters said:
Picked up a '13 SL this week from Connell Nissan. Their quick charging station is going in within the next couple weeks. I didn't read through the entire thread, so not sure if it's been mentioned. Nevertheless, good news for those in Irvine, Costa Mesa, etc.

EDIT: Read Boomer23's response. It's been covered already. :D

Congratulations on your new car, you chose well. Enjoy the new car experience.

Actually, the new DCQC at Connell, while good news for those of us who are local, is even better news for those living north or south of us who need to extend their trips.

Boomer23 said:
dcpatters said:
Actually, the new DCQC at Connell, while good news for those of us who are local, is even better news for those living north or south of us who need to extend their trips.
Good point. It's all about connecting dots.

We're located at the junction of two of the busiest freeways in the country. Top off in the valley or in Orange County, but if you come through downtown LA, we're your saviour.

I have no idea at this time whether we'll keep it free after the 90 day period, but it's my intent to make it 24/7 at the very least. We're waiting to see what it cost us, and whether LADWP will come through with a reduced demand charge.

PaulScott said:
I have no idea at this time whether we'll keep it free after the 90 day period, but it's my intent to make it 24/7 at the very least. We're waiting to see what it cost us, and whether LADWP will come through with a reduced demand charge.
This is a key point and one that EVERY Nissan dealer needs to look at closely.

The QC stations MUST be open 24/7 as Paul Scott said. Anything less = failure.

does anyone have any similar evidence of installations going on in the Washington DC area? I am anxious to try my Quick Charge port.

PaulScott said:

My suggestion is too keep it free for your customers, actions have consequences, just put a small sign on the charger: "Did you buy your Leaf here?, see the receptionist for a FREE charge and a donut", the receptionist hands out the FOB hanging on a huge stick like a gas station bathroom key :)

It does wonder for the range anxious to see a constant stream of Leafs coming by with one always waiting to go.. and please make sure the driver stays near the car eating his donut. Next year add a second charger.

Good luck on the demand charges.. perhaps you guys can get a 200kW Bloom Energy Server

Free chargers are bad in the long run. Free chargers limit the expansion of the charging network by discouraging market entrants from investing in infrastructure. I would prefer charge for charge that discourages connection time so people don't plug in and come back 24 hours later. $2.50 every 15 minutes for QC and $.25 for level 2s seems about right depending upon electric rates. There are already several companies out there to handle the payment processing. This takes care of the road tax too as states can go hog wild adding taxes to the charges.

Elephanthead said:
Free chargers are bad in the long run. Free chargers limit the expansion of the charging network by discouraging market entrants from investing in infrastructure. I would prefer charge for charge that discourages connection time so people don't plug in and come back 24 hours later. $2.50 every 15 minutes for QC and $.25 for level 2s seems about right depending upon electric rates.
Well said. I am perfectly willing to pay for a QC, just keep the price reasonable ( as in less than buying gasoline ).

KJD said:
Elephanthead said:
Free chargers are bad in the long run. Free chargers limit the expansion of the charging network by discouraging market entrants from investing in infrastructure. I would prefer charge for charge that discourages connection time so people don't plug in and come back 24 hours later. $2.50 every 15 minutes for QC and $.25 for level 2s seems about right depending upon electric rates.
Well said. I am perfectly willing to pay for a QC, just keep the price reasonable ( as in less than buying gasoline ).

what would you pay?
would you pay by session?
time?
or charge taken?

DaveinOlyWA said:
KJD said:
Elephanthead said:
what would you pay?
time?
or charge taken?
The number from above is $2.50 per 15 minutes and sounds good to me.
How about you Dave what would you be willing to pay ?

KJD said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
what would you pay?
time?
or charge taken?
The number from above is $2.50 per 15 minutes and sounds good to me.
How about you Dave what would you be willing to pay ?

$2.50 for 15 minutes would be good for me as well. I talked with Blink Tech for this area and they were talking about a subscription plan for fast charging and she mentioned a price that was unrealistically low imm of $15 a month.

now, considering the lack of infrastructure (we have about a dozen blinks for the entire state) even that price might be ambitious.

but i agree that lack of infrastructure creates high demand for the few that are here now. recently i had my first "3 at a charger" experience but also have had half a dozen times waiting for a charge in the past month so the EOY 2012 price cuts and 2013 pricing has had an effect in this area.

Elephanthead said:
Agree on the free chargers & incentive to move car, but not so sure on the price.

On the surface, $2.50 doesn't seem like a big deal. But when you compare that to the cost of electricity at home, isn't it several times the typical rate? How would this compare to the amount of charge you'd get from an L2 in an hour? I know that the cost of a charge is priceless if you're out and nowhere near home :) Just interested in how it compares to that cost.

Forgive me, don't know the exact math on how much juice is pushed into the battery in 15m.

Back