Anybody else's XM trial end today?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My XM service quit on Monday. This morning I called 1-866-519-7570 and, after a few minutes of waiting, was connected to a very pleasant service rep who quickly arranged for a 6-month trial of XM Select + traffic + weather. Within 10 minutes i was back in business.

One thing, make the call in the car, as you will be asked to turn on the radio, tune to channel 1, then confirm that your service and presets are restored after the authorization signal is sent.

Thanks to the forum and this thread for the good advice!

Thanks, good advice. My service quit as well last weekend and just when I was starting to dig alt nation. 6 moths sounds good.

lambert said:
My XM service quit on Monday. This morning I called 1-866-519-7570 and, after a few minutes of waiting, was connected to a very pleasant service rep who quickly arranged for a 6-month trial of XM Select + traffic + weather. Within 10 minutes i was back in business.

One thing, make the call in the car, as you will be asked to turn on the radio, tune to channel 1, then confirm that your service and presets are restored after the authorization signal is sent.

Thanks to the forum and this thread for the good advice!

Mine went out too on June 10th, about a week after I got my Leaf. I haven't bothered to call XM yet, so thanks for the info. I'll be calling today.

I purchased my Leaf 1/4/11. I rarely use XM but noticed on Saturday that traffic worked in the morning but didn't in the afternoon. It finally dawned on me that my 3 month free XM must have ended after 5+ months. I don't need the stations, but the traffic was nice. I can use my Droid X for traffic or bite the bullet and pay for XM traffic.

vkruger said:
I purchased my Leaf 1/4/11. I rarely use XM but noticed on Saturday that traffic worked in the morning but didn't in the afternoon. It finally dawned on me that my 3 month free XM must have ended after 5+ months. I don't need the stations, but the traffic was nice. I can use my Droid X for traffic or bite the bullet and pay for XM traffic.

I wonder if there's some bigger mistake going on here... I purchased on 4/8 and lost my XM around 6/8. Anyone loose theirs prematurely? [EDIT: I JUST CAUGHT UP WITH THE REST OF THIS THREAD! ;-)]

I assumed that the promo period must have only been 60 days and so called in to have the Leaf added to my current account (we have another car with it). I was told that the 2nd car would have a 30% discount applied to it. OK, that's fine and they got it back up in a few minutes.

The XM Traffic did not reappear however so I called again the next day to find out why. Of course, the XM Traffic is an extra cost and the person on the phone didn't mention that I was only adding audio...

The new person said that my promo time period should have been 6 months so he reinstated full service (for six more months!) and refunded the money I had paid the first day.

When I went to SiriusXM.com to check up on the pricing, I found that the pricing I had been told on the phone (~$100/yr for Traffic) didn't mesh with the $48/yr I saw online. I also saw that I could add Traffic without audio for the same $48/yr. Oh well, I'll sort it out in December when the six months expires.

Bill

This may be obvious, but I don't think Sirius/XM knows or tracks what happens to the units going into cars that could be delayed on their way to customers. I gather Nissan bought a large batch of XM activations back in December when they planned to roll out cars, but then ended up sitting on a lot of them (as cars went domestically to Japan and to Europe instead of to USA), so when we finally got cars here, the trial subscription had already used up some months even though the equipment had been sitting.
Thankfully XM has been willing to "restart the clock" right now, so those who have had use of it for some months get a bonus. Those who recently got cars are refreshed back to where they should be.

called yesterday.. talked to the nice rep and got 6 months more of XM with traffic free. They didn't ask me when I purchased the car. I just said that it was supposed to come with 6 months and it hasn't been that long yet.

I picked up my new Leaf yesterday (15-Jun-2011) and as expected XM was not activated. Today I called the toll free number, they activated the radio with a 6 month free trail with both traffic and weather.

Took me 3 20 minute calls to get free trial. 1st call went through fast, but CS would do nothing for me. No argument would budge him. 2nd 20 minute call was going better, but call was dropped. 3rd 20 minute call worked great with a pleasent guy and got my 6 month trial!

I got around to talking to XM yesterday. When they looked at the radio id number, they said the dealer must have used up the three months. Like with others, they gave me the six month free trial. I have been quite impressed with XM.

Since I know the car was only at the dealer for a week, my belief is that the free trials were activated shortly after the cars were unloaded from the ship. Because this batch of cars ended up sitting in port for a couple of months, most of the free trial was over before the cars were delivered. I'm sure it never occurred to Nissan this was happening, but XM has been very nice and generous with the free trials.

Dave

I posted this way back in this thread (note to newbies: it is important to read all the way through a thread or you may miss valuable information) but as it appears many have not seen it, I'll repost it again here:

I had an interesting conversation with one of their Tier 3 techs... It seems that XM does not know from Adam about any of the free trials or radio IDs in new vehicle audio systems. It works like some OEM software licensing arrangements. Nissan (or whomever) gets a volume authorization and applies that to all their radios of a particular model. The date that the trial is to expire is hard coded in to the authorization and has no bearing on when it was actually authorized in the radio. He said that normally, a vehicle manufacturer gets a new block every month or so with a new date code in it so it isn't a big deal... Apparently Nissan's Leaf codes were somewhat "stale" and led to this problem. When the radio reaches the date code (the date is sent as part of the radio data stream), it simply deauthorizes. Thus, that is why when you call in, XM has no idea who you are and knows nothing about your specific radio: your radio ID has never hit the system since it all happens without any direct contact with them... For future reference, what they CAN do is, when you pick up your car give them a call right away and they can then create an account with your radio ID and create a 6 month trial for you from that point forward. If you wait a while it is apparently much harder for them to do this for reasons that could not be explained to me (probably marketing or fraud prevention).

mogur said:
...For future reference, what they CAN do is, when you pick up your car give them a call right away and they can then create an account with your radio ID and create a 6 month trial for you from that point forward...

I tried to be proactive like that. When I got my car, I heard from the forum that the XM trial clock had already been ticking, so, even though the XM was still working, I called and said "I just got a new Leaf, and want to make sure my trial starts now." The CS agent said "sure"... Got my info... "You are all set for 6 months..." Then a few weeks later it shut off just like with everyone else here. So I called back again, went through the same song-and-dance and now am working again (hopefully for a full 6 months this time.)

So I don't know what went wrong with my first call. Maybe they didn't actually process my request? Or a technical glitch? In any case, trying to do it ahead of time didn't seem to help. But with a big batch of Leafs all going dark at once I guess they have instructed them to re-auth the trials expediently now.

mogur said:
I posted this way back in this thread (note to newbies: it is important to read all the way through a thread or you may miss valuable information) but as it appears many have not seen it, I'll repost it again here:

I had an interesting conversation with one of their Tier 3 techs... It seems that XM does not know from Adam about any of the free trials or radio IDs in new vehicle audio systems. It works like some OEM software licensing arrangements. Nissan (or whomever) gets a volume authorization and applies that to all their radios of a particular model. The date that the trial is to expire is hard coded in to the authorization and has no bearing on when it was actually authorized in the radio. He said that normally, a vehicle manufacturer gets a new block every month or so with a new date code in it so it isn't a big deal... Apparently Nissan's Leaf codes were somewhat "stale" and led to this problem. When the radio reaches the date code (the date is sent as part of the radio data stream), it simply deauthorizes. Thus, that is why when you call in, XM has no idea who you are and knows nothing about your specific radio: your radio ID has never hit the system since it all happens without any direct contact with them... For future reference, what they CAN do is, when you pick up your car give them a call right away and they can then create an account with your radio ID and create a 6 month trial for you from that point forward. If you wait a while it is apparently much harder for them to do this for reasons that could not be explained to me (probably marketing or fraud prevention).

Thanks. This was helpful. My free trial only lasted about 5 weeks.
P.S. Shout out from Encino Park!

Just gave XM a call and they set me up for 6 months starting today, no problem at all. I even told him that I had it for a few months already....didn't seem to care since there wasn't an account setup as of yet. Little surprised it was that easy....

My dealer's free trial lasted for about 2 weeks, i called up when it deactivated and asked for XMNavTraffic and my free trial. Officially, the free trial is 3 months, but I asked specifically if we could make it a 6 month trial, they complied very quickly.

Yep, I picked up my Leaf on 6/7 and XM Radio expired on 6/10. I called XM Radio and they gave me a free 6 mo. trial that expires on 12/12/11.

Thanks for all of the great info. I called yesterday and they gave me a free 6 month trial, including weather and traffic. No problem since I wasn't in their system. Didn't ask me for a credit card or anything.

They told me that the dealer loads a "demo" version, hence why they expire all at once.

Whatever… just happy I got some music back for a bit. :)

Its too bad the car doesn't support weather....

i'd pay extra if i could get a weather radar overlay on top of my navi screen.

I took delivery of my Leaf on May 26th. Today, when I went to use the car, I found all my XM presets gone. When I called XM, I was told in no uncertain terms that my trial period was 30 days and that's all. No 3 months. No 6 months. If I want more, I'll have to pay for a subscription. It was fun while it lasted, although I was not keen on the "commercials" for their other stations that frequently interrupted the music. I will now use my iPod for music. Goodbye XM! Too bad I can't program and relabel the XM button "iPod".

Our XM stopped working yesterday for whatever reason. (19 days after delivery.) Called XM, and started a 6 month trial as a new customer.

Back