Anybody else's XM trial end today?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here. Thanks to this board, I called the customer service number (not the number on the radio itself - that seems to be more sales-oriented), gave them my radio ID, and I was all set for my 6 month trial.

Mine did the same. Called Sirius and got a woman in the Phillipines who was very annoying. She kept saying I had to call the dealer and that they could only do a 3 month trial. I politely told her that was not the case with other LEAF owners and to please get me a supervisor. The supervisor promptly setup my new 6 month trial and apologized for the canceling of the earlier trial period.

Same as others had tried calling 800-643-2112 last week when XM stopped working 2 weeks after I bought the car and was told I needed to by a subscription. Then today after reading this thread I called 800-967-2346 and they signed me up for a free 6 months.

Like you, I had my XM stop before the 90 days trail. I also have had my Leaf clients have their XM stop early.
I called XM 800 number on channel 0ne and gave them my XM id on channel 0. I explained the situation and they activated the system for 90 days from that point. That was pretty cool.
My speculation is that the XM is turned on at the port. Many Leafs are held waiting for accessaries. Meanwhile the XM clock is ticking.
By the way I think I'm the only salesman in San Diego County who bought a Leaf. I thought it was a no brainer with all the incentives.
My teacher wife has been driving just under 60 miles round trip at 15-20% of the fuel cost of driving her Maxima.
I enjoy all technogeek info about the Leaf. The guys at work think I'm turning into a technogeek. I really don't think I'm smart enough. We have a well informed sales staff because of the high volume of Leaf sales. I pass on a lot of the form info.

Read back earlier in this thread and you'll find information on exactly why it happened and how...

bpeachy said:
Like you, I had my XM stop before the 90 days trail. I also have had my Leaf clients have their XM stop early.
I called XM 800 number on channel 0ne and gave them my XM id on channel 0. I explained the situation and they activated the system for 90 days from that point. That was pretty cool.
My speculation is that the XM is turned on at the port. Many Leafs are held waiting for accessaries. Meanwhile the XM clock is ticking.

Mine ended yesterday. I followed the directions on this thread, and within 10 minutes my subscription was activated for an additional 6 months. Thanks for all the useful information No run around, no hassle, no confusion. Excellent experience.

After signing up for a 1-year XM subscription, I had to call and add the traffic (LA) to my 1-year subscription, at a cost of $32.95 for the year. $3/month is really cheap (at one traffic-jam avoided per month, I'd consider it a bargain), but the lesson is that if/when your trial or re-trial ends, do NOT rely on the customer service rep to notice that your trial includes traffic, and to mention that you need to extend that as well. I didn't, and the addition is a bit of a pain:

1. Write down XM phone number and your radio number (AB99CDE9F or somesuch).
2. Call rep, explain situation, get quote, confirm order.
3. Run out to your car and turn the Map on for 10-15 minutes to 'activate' - this took some time on mine.

Apparently the only send out the Activation signal for a limited time, because she took pains to give me a special (866) number and web link to repeat the activiation code if the first one didn't 'take'.

Well, my XM trial ended at the same time as all others, but I never called to complain since I didn't use it anyway. Wednesday I noticed that I was getting traffic info again on my display and found that my XM service was reauthorized! Checked again this morning and it's still working, we'll see how long.

DarkStar said:
Well, my XM trial ended at the same time as all others, but I never called to complain since I didn't use it anyway. Wednesday I noticed that I was getting traffic info again on my display and found that my XM service was reauthorized! Checked again this morning and it's still working, we'll see how long.

EricH said:
3. Run out to your car and turn the Map on for 10-15 minutes to 'activate'

Hmmm.....was it Wednesday that I complained of my traffic not working for the first 15 minutes of operating the car? I wonder if they reauthorized every single LEAF?

Edit: Yes, it certainly was:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4468&p=107870

Has anyone else noticed a change in format for the traffic info, post-reauthorization? It used to be solid colored bars that overlaid the freeway, but now it seems to be thinner bars that run alongside the freeway, in discreet segments that seem to indicate the geographic placement of the speed sensors embedded in SoCal freeways. In other words, the information seems more granular now.

EricH said:
Has anyone else noticed a change in format for the traffic info, post-reauthorization? It used to be solid colored bars that overlaid the freeway, but now it seems to be thinner bars that run alongside the freeway, in discreet segments that seem to indicate the geographic placement of the speed sensors embedded in SoCal freeways. In other words, the information seems more granular now.

Mine has always been alongside the freeway.

Ditto. It was that way before and it is still that way. However, the representation DOES change based on what scale factor you have the nav set to... Perhaps you changed yours? That is one of the reasons why I use a split screen display with two different scales as per one of my posts elsewhere.

mwalsh said:
EricH said:

Mine has always been alongside the freeway.

mogur said:
Ditto. It was that way before and it is still that way. However, the representation DOES change based on what scale factor you have the nav set to... Perhaps you changed yours? That is one of the reasons why I use a split screen display with two different scales as per one of my posts elsewhere.

I routinely zoom in/out, but it doesn't seem to change -- the fact that the lines are made up of segmented arrows isn't evident unless you Zoom In to at least some extent, but the lines always appear to be in the outer emergency lanes of the freeways now. I'll check on the split display option as well...

thanks to everyone in this thread i was able to get my xm back to a 6-month trial after it quit working on the 10th or so! much appreciated.

Haven't checked the traffic recently and only just noticed it was gone (not sure when it went out for me). Read thru this thread & gave XM CS a call (at 800-967-2346), saying I'd just bought the car and wanted to activate the XM + traffic free trial. They looked up my radio id and informed me it was on a Nissan account that had expired, but that the manufacturer had recently renewed the free trial period for *24* months, starting 7/8/11!! She asked me if I wanted to convert it to a personal account, which I did (in retrospect I maybe should have left it, but figured it'd be easier to deal with if I had connectivity problems in the future). She took my name, phone, address and e-mail for the account, then congratulated me on the 24 months.

I was initially thinking I wouldn't use XM much since it was only supposed to be for 3 months, but now this XM trial looks like a pretty good deal! Has anyone else heard of the 24 months free trial?

Just to add another datapoint, I called the CS number to register my free trial. The representative only gave me a 3 month trial. I was reasonably persistent in asking if there was any way to get 6 months, and mentioned that several acquaintances had been offered 6 months on their Leafs. She put a 'note' on my account, which she said would result in a callback after they researched the situation.

For what it's worth, I called both XM and Nissan CS and they activated a 90-day trial. They could not be persuaded to give a longer trial. Thank you for creating this thread and posting all this information, very helpful.

maidez said:
Just to add another datapoint, I called the CS number to register my free trial. The representative only gave me a 3 month trial. I was reasonably persistent in asking if there was any way to get 6 months, and mentioned that several acquaintances had been offered 6 months on their Leafs. She put a 'note' on my account, which she said would result in a callback after they researched the situation.

Not the deal others have been getting in my case as well. On my first call, the rep only activated the xm radio without weather/traffic. I called back to enquire about the traffic, this time got another rep and he took down more info like street address, created an account number etc. Then asked me if I was "American"? To which I answered, "What difference does it make?". He said "Nothing". Anyhow he volunteered he was Egypt and just wanted to know where I was from. At the end of the day, I got a 3 month trial as well. I also mentioned many others with the same car got a 6 month trial. He didn't budge. Anyway, I will take it. Once it expires, I will use Google nav on my Android phone which has better traffic info anyway. The music I don't care for much.

My XM is back online. Didn't call in. Weird. But since it is XM..... Nothing surprises me. They probably hacked my finances somehow. Watch your credit cards!

Back