2013 Clarion QY7210 upgrade to 2016 QY8200 (Non-Bose Navigation stereo)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYev

Hoping for a better user experience (including spoken text messages) and the possibility of newer firmware supporting Android Auto (what I later learned is a very expensive proposition from https://xanavi.net/), I bought the non-Bose navigation stereo system (Clarion QY-8200) out of a wrecked 2016 Leaf to replace the stereo in my 2013 Leaf SV (QY-7210). When removing the unit from the 2016, I scavenged all of the wiring pigtails that connected to the stereo just in case I needed them. More on that later. Long story short, I now have a seemingly working 2016 stereo in my 2013 Leaf.

I referred to the stereo connector "terminal layout" from Section AV: AUDIO, VISUAL & NAVIGATION SYSTEM of the 2013 Leaf service manual, but was unable to find an equivalent service manual for the 2016 Leaf. 2015 used the same basic setup as my 2013. [REQUEST: Does anyone know what the brown mini USB connector is on the 2016 stereo, or do you have a 2016 Leaf service manual you can point me to?] Fortunately, the closed-caption English translation from Xanavi's 24 kWh to 30 kWh stereo adapter video filled in some blanks for me.
https://youtu.be/ADLVLkGa-hI

In general, the 20- and 40-pin connectors and the pink satellite radio antenna connectors are plug-and-play. The 2016's grey AM/FM radio antenna connector is wider (with the same number of pins present), but I was able to use a small, flat screwdriver to pop the pins out of the 2016 connector housing and install it on the 2013 stock wiring. For the GPS, I could have bought a cheap FAKRA C GPS antenna and mounted it under the dash, but I instead ordered a "GT5-1PP HRS grey male to FAKRA C jack cable for Car Infiniti Q50 Sport radios" from eBay. Had I been thinking at the time, I may have tried scavenging the GPS antenna directly from the 2016 Leaf, but it probably would have been a pain to remove.

One adapter I needed to make was for the wiring from the USB jack on the center console below the stereo. In 2013, a blue 4-pin square connector was used on the back of the stereo, while the 2016 used a mini USB with special connector housing. I bought an AXXESS Integrate AX-NISUSB-2 adapter cable for 2010-2013 Nissans. I think I saw a USB-A to mini USB stereo connector on AliExpress, but because I had the pigtail from the 2016 wiring harness, I spliced that in place of the USB-A end of the adapter using the matching wire colors.

Here's a visual summary of my connections:

53165676790_d3981eb388_c_d.jpg

My 2013 Leaf has a telematics connector that went to the stereo, but I taped that off and left it unused. The 2016 stereo has an additional brown mini USB connector. Not sure if that uses the USB portion of the telematics or if that is for a second USB connector elsewhere in the newer cars. Either way, the Nissan dealership had already disabled my 3G TCU, and having nothing plugged into the brown mini USB doesn't appear to affect functionality. According to LeafSpy, I do have a few DTCs with the newer stereo, though these don't really surprise me considering the telematics connector is currently unplugged:
  • >U1300-01 09 MULTI AV AV Comm Circuit AV-93
  • >U1000-01 09 MULTI AV CAN Comm Circuit
  • >U1266-02 09 MULTI AV TCU Comm AV-92
  • U1A08-00 08 TCU Tel Antenna No Conn AV-201
  • >U1A05-00 0B TCU USB Comm AV-199
  • Some BCM codes that appear to be related to TPMS, but I forgot to check for DTCs before the hardware swap; may be unrelated

Has anyone else completed a similar retrofit? I've not determined what issues the above trouble codes may actually cause, but the car and stereo otherwise function as expected. I completed the installation today and will provide an update if anything changes.

Hi , very good description, and detailed with pictures , just I have questions , new unit paring with your phone via Bluetooth,?

Ivko788 said:
Hi , very good description, and detailed with pictures , just I have questions , new unit paring with your phone via Bluetooth,?

Thanks! Yes, the Bluetooth connects to our phones perfectly well.

This is super cool! I'm wondering if you needed a can filter like from Zelemar (https://zelemar.eu/product/nissan-can-filter-security-emulator/) or did the radio just work in your Leaf as-is? Or any other kind of trickery, or did it just work?

FinnishCoffee said:
This is super cool! I'm wondering if you needed a can filter like from Zelemar (https://zelemar.eu/product/nissan-can-filter-security-emulator/) or did the radio just work in your Leaf as-is? Or any other kind of trickery, or did it just work?

The two radio antenna pins are identical between the two units. The only difference between them is the grey plastic connector housing. Annoyingly, I misplaced the connector from the 2016 stereo, so that's the one thing (besides telematics) that I don't have hooked up. I rarely listen to the AM/FM radio, so I'll get to it eventually. But I am 99.9% confident that the radio should work otherwise. And in the meantime, I have fully functional Bluetooth and XM radio.

DIYev said:
FinnishCoffee said:

The two radio antenna pins are identical between the two units. The only difference between them is the grey plastic connector housing. Annoyingly, I misplaced the connector from the 2016 stereo, so that's the one thing (besides telematics) that I don't have hooked up. I rarely listen to the AM/FM radio, so I'll get to it eventually. But I am 99.9% confident that the radio should work otherwise. And in the meantime, I have fully functional Bluetooth and XM radio.

I think , he ask about radio unit '' Secured" when replaced unit from another car radio unit lockrd itself , need some procedure for decoding or just plug and play. ?

Oooooh, my bad. No, nothing fancy like that. Everything was plug-and-play as mentioned above.

I was fortunate that the 2016 Leaf was functional at the junkyard, so I could verify that the stereo worked and that the map SD card was present.

The navigation map SD card can only be used in the stereo in which it was originally activated. I'm no expert on that, but there are discussions about it in the forum.

Yes, I have done the same swap! The brown USB connector goes to the TCU and is unused in the 2013 since our 3G TCUs are boat anchors…..I still need to get the dealer to do the manual VIN update so some of the VCU data will display and I think it will clear the U1000-01 09 MULTI AV CAN Comm Circuit DTC.

The USA radios are plug and play (mostly) but the head units overseas need the Zellemar mods to work.

Back