2012 VSP Off switch gone?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tps said:
Stanton said:
The back-up part of the VSP is actually useful; I can only hear the low-speed part when I'm pulling in the garage. However, when I'm driving/sitting in a parking lot I often turn it off (just don't like the dull whirrrr).
Does the VSP turn off when you put the LEAF in neutral/park? When the car is moving in a parking lot is a prime situation when I'd think the VSP should be on.

Yes: the back-up beeps stop when you put it in park (and neutral--because i coast down my driveway). If you really want to get someone's attention, you need to use the horn (which I replaced).

TickTock said:
This isn't my experience. My wife says it sounds like an airplane landing (in a cool way, but also a loud way). Backup, too. I always feel embarrassed whenever I am backing up around people (only recently realized the VSP button also turns the backup off - hey, I'm a little slow OK?). If the disable button is removed on the next model, I think a LOT more people will be considering more permanent options.
+1. The forward sound is a lot less noticable to me than the back-up beep. I turn the noise maker off by habit now when starting up and only leaf it on when generating some noise to alert pedestrians is required (busy parking lots, for example).

drees said:
I turn the noise maker off by habit now when starting up and only leaf it on when generating some noise to alert pedestrians is required (busy parking lots, for example).

I largely leave it on except late at night as any noise seems amplified in my quiet neighborhood. Still, I don't think people generally associate that whirring noise as a vehicle. I was driving in a parking lot behind a pedestrian who was casually strolling down the middle of the road towards the supermarket, and she didn't turn her head once despite the fact that I was following behind for a good 20 seconds... Was almost tempted to honk, but was scared she might have a heart attack with the upgraded horn I put in...

GroundLoop said:
It really doesn't seem to do what it claims to do.

If you're in an environment where a pedestrian can't hear your wheel noise, it just doesn't seem that VSP gets their attention either.

A small "non-horn" sounder under driver control seems like the best alternative. A meep meep that is more polite than aggressive. Maybe something melodious, or a chime.

But not a full-time noisemaker

I agree with this comment. That would be the best solution in my opinion!

Well, if they removed the off-button, then I wouldn't be surprised to see some Leaf owners cutting the wires to the sound device.

I can certainly hear the VSP on mine, but usually in the garage or in places where there is a wall or something next to the car that reflects the sound back.

I can see it now
Leaf hits 84-year-old woman, she did not hear the car coming as the owner had disabled the warning device in the car.
The family is suing the owner for disabling the warning device

I honestly do not understand why you would want to disable it. A backup alarm in a truck has saved my ass on more than one occasion.

Is it that much of an annoyance?

More people might appreciate the beauty of the Leaf if they heard that futuristic whine as you drove by, along with all the decals announcing 100% electric from windmills etc.. maybe a flashing led scrolling led display at the back with how much $$ you saved at the pump so far.

Herm said:
More people might appreciate the beauty of the Leaf if they heard that futuristic whine as you drove by...
Don't forget a pulsing strobe on the roof alerting your presence so everyone around you that can see realize you drive an EV :p Since the government is now involved it would not surprise me.

adric22 said:
Well, if they removed the off-button, then I wouldn't be surprised to see some Leaf owners cutting the wires to the sound device.

I can certainly hear the VSP on mine, but usually in the garage or in places where there is a wall or something next to the car that reflects the sound back.

The VSP of button is still there on 2012 Leafs in Europe, at least on mine ;)

Brightonuk said:
... A backup alarm in a truck has saved my ass on more than one occasion. ...
I quite agree, although I do disable it when backing out of my long driveway early in the morning or late at night. I otherwise prefer to make a little noise, especially backing up.

garygid said:
Yours is the 2012 model (C not B in the VIN)?

If so, how is the SOC-Meter working on the 2012 LEAF?

There is neither a C nor a B in my VIN. I guess european VINs are different. It is supposed to be a 2012, it has the cold weather package and all that.

Mine is the first one delivered to a regular customer in Norway.

The SOC-meter is working beautifully.

NHTSA made a rule disallowing the driver the ability to turn the VSP (Vehicle Sound for Pedestrian) off. That's why it is gone for 2012 in the US, but Europe can still have it. Please thank the federal government regulatory authorities who are following the administrations guidance to eliminate unnecessary regulations -- NOT. ;)

This thread has become so long it reminds me of something from another forum I'm part of...

useless%20without%20pics.jpg

But seriously, all of your answers are on PDF Page 19 of 354:
2011 Nissan Leaf Owner's Manual
2012 Nissan Leaf Owner's Manual

kovalb said:
NHTSA made a rule disallowing the driver the ability to turn the VSP (Vehicle Sound for Pedestrian) off. That's why it is gone for 2012 in the US, but Europe can still have it. Please thank the federal government regulatory authorities who are following the administrations guidance to eliminate unnecessary regulations -- NOT. ;)

I bet that the capability is there, just the button is gone. Not that I am advocating disobeying the law... just saying it still might be possible to turn it off without cutting wires. :twisted: I did do some reading on the subject.. http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/rulemaking/pdf/QuietCar-noi-draft.pdf and it seems it would violate some law.

kovalb said:
The only law passed is the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2010. It requires NHTSA to conduct a rulemaking to establish a Federal motor vehicle safety standard requiring an alert sound for pedestrians to be emitted by all types of motor vehicles that are electric vehicles or hybrid vehicles (EVs and HVs). (http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/rulemaking/pdf/QuietCar-noi-draft.pdf)

This doesn't require the sound the Nissan Leaf has, just that a sound be required. The NHTSA could determine that the natural sound emitted by the vehicle is sufficient and no additional sound be required. This determination hasn't occurred yet. :D

Good! Maybe one of us will check and see if the VSP off default device will work on the 2012s. And modify it so VSP can be turned on again too. :D

Back