TSLA stock price discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boomer23 said:
WetEV said:
Nubo said:
The real impetus behind autonomous vehicles is
1) people who consider driving to time better spent playing with their smartphones.
2) tech companies "marveling at their own magnificence as they give birth to AI", to paraphrase Morpheus.
3) People who can't or shouldn't drive. Visually impaired and similar would find a self-driving car wonderful.

Until the car says "Unable to compute speed or detect lane markers, collision may be imminent. Vehicle released to human control."
If that's a common occurrence then of course they won't be acceptable, but that assumes that they can never be improved to an acceptable level, which is unlikely.

Considering the number of accidents every year involving drivers impaired by health or alcohol, I expect that there will be a huge safety and economic benefit to society with the advent of autonomous cars, just as there has been with stability control and many other safety features - I don't know if there's enough data yet to show a major reduction in rear-enders and similar accidents for cars equipped with ACC and collision warning with auto braking, but I expect it to show up soon - here's some theoretical calculations: http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/esv/esv20/07-0450-O.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and here's some early data showing modest reductions:

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/crash-avoidance-features-reduce-crashes-insurance-claims-study-shows-autonomous-braking-and-adaptive-headlights-yield-biggest-benefits" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And there's this article from last year rating different cars:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/09/27/autos/iihs-crash-avoidance/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then there's the even larger social benefit of autonomous cars to an aging population, who will retain their independence and thus a higher quality of life for much longer. I know when my dad had his license pulled at 88 his world just shrank, and he felt trapped in his own house. Being dependent on someone else to take you on your errands on their schedule, or to socialize with friends is very frustrating, especially if, like my dad was, you're naturally impatient. Of course, it may be that this is the last senior generation which feels a need to get out of the house to do errands or socialize; maybe they'll just do everything via the web. But I doubt it, because for most people there's still a desire for direct human contact from time to time, even for an unsociable misanthrope like me. :D

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...h-american-material-amid-pollution-worry.html
Tesla Motors Inc. (TSLA), the electric vehicle maker co-founded by Elon Musk, plans to use only raw materials sourced in North America for its proposed $5 billion U.S. battery factory.

The Silicon Valley company won’t look overseas for the graphite, cobalt and other materials needed for its so-called Gigafactory, said Liz Jarvis-Shean, a spokeswoman.

“It will enable us to establish a supply chain that is local and focused on minimizing environmental impact while significantly reducing battery cost,” she said in an e-mail.

It all sounds good on paper and I'm sure Tesla's (and others') stock price will love it, but realities will likely dictate otherwise for at least a significant number of years...

AndyH said:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...h-american-material-amid-pollution-worry.html
Tesla Motors Inc. (TSLA), the electric vehicle maker co-founded by Elon Musk, plans to use only raw materials sourced in North America for its proposed $5 billion U.S. battery factory.
The Silicon Valley company won’t look overseas for the graphite, cobalt and other materials needed for its so-called Gigafactory, said Liz Jarvis-Shean, a spokeswoman.
“It will enable us to establish a supply chain that is local and focused on minimizing environmental impact while significantly reducing battery cost,” she said in an e-mail.

TomT said:
It all sounds good on paper and I'm sure Tesla's (and others) stock price will love it, but realities will likely dedicate otherwise for at least a significant number of years...

AndyH said:
Tom - what do you suggest the 'realities' might be?

AndyH said:
TomT said:
It all sounds good on paper and I'm sure Tesla's (and others) stock price will love it, but realities will likely dedicate otherwise for at least a significant number of years...
Tom - what do you suggest the 'realities' might be?
Not trying to answer for Tom, but I think the article lays out the potential issues quite well.

TomT said:
Yep!
GRA said:
Not trying to answer for Tom, but I think the article lays out the potential issues quite well.
Thanks Tom and Guy. After a couple of re-reads I think Bloomberg misses the mark with this article.

Tesla's preference for synthetic carbon makes the state of Chinese graphite mining irrelevant. Heaven knows we have plenty of petcoke to refine - the Koch bros will do their part...

While the article talks about the South American lithium supply and their expansion prospects, it ignores the lithium available in the US. http://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-G...thium-Deposit-could-Meet-all-U.S.-Demand.html

Both the US and Canada have active cobalt mines, though most of the US production has been mothballed for 20-30 years.

We have old mines re-opening, new mines in production, and plenty of exploration in the US. I suspect Elon will have his North American supply chain in place when the factory opens.

AndyH said:
TomT said:
Yep!
GRA said:
Thanks Tom and Guy. After a couple of re-reads I think Bloomberg misses the mark with this article.

Tesla's preference for synthetic carbon makes the state of Chinese graphite mining irrelevant. Heaven knows we have plenty of petcoke to refine - the Koch bros will do their part...

While the article talks about the South American lithium supply and their expansion prospects, it ignores the lithium available in the US. http://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-G...thium-Deposit-could-Meet-all-U.S.-Demand.html

Both the US and Canada have active cobalt mines, though most of the US production has been mothballed for 20-30 years.

We have old mines re-opening, new mines in production, and plenty of exploration in the US. I suspect Elon will have his North American supply chain in place when the factory opens.
Andy, that assumes that there will be absolutely no hiccups anywhere in any of those processes, which is hardly realistic. Tesla has been consistently late and/or overbudget on every one of their cars and projects; why would you think that any of the other companies, especially the extractive ones, will proceed smoothly uninterrupted by the real world? ISTR that the Keystone XL pipeline was first mooted back around 2008? Molycorp Minerals just got fined by the EPA for lack of hazardous waste containment, solar plants in the desert have been delayed for years or put off entirely due to environmental and cost issues, and so on. At the moment some of Tesla's Superchargers are being delayed by easement and/or permitting issues. I don't believe Tom or I is saying that this will never happen, only that there are likely to be numerous delays and interim accommodations necessary before Tesla arrives at their ultimate goal, and it's likely to come in costing considerably more than they claim.

+1

It certainly will happen at some point, but it will happen much later and for much more money than the article and Tesla alludes to...

GRA said:
I don't believe Tom or I is saying that this will never happen, only that there are likely to be numerous delays and interim accommodations necessary before Tesla arrives at their ultimate goal, and it's likely to come in costing considerably more than they claim.

GRA said:
Andy, that assumes that there will be absolutely no hiccups anywhere in any of those processes, which is hardly realistic. Tesla has been consistently late and/or overbudget on every one of their cars and projects; why would you think that any of the other companies, especially the extractive ones, will proceed smoothly uninterrupted by the real world? ISTR that the Keystone XL pipeline was first mooted back around 2008? Molycorp Minerals just got fined by the EPA for lack of hazardous waste containment, solar plants in the desert have been delayed for years or put off entirely due to environmental and cost issues, and so on. At the moment some of Tesla's Superchargers are being delayed by easement and/or permitting issues. I don't believe Tom or I is saying that this will never happen, only that there are likely to be numerous delays and interim accommodations necessary before Tesla arrives at their ultimate goal, and it's likely to come in costing considerably more than they claim.
No - it doesn't assume anything. We're not talking about the KXL, solar plants in the desert, or charging stations so your points are dead on arrival. Hiccups are a concern with a single point of supply, but that's not a factor either. The fact remains that the raw materials the project needs are available in the US and Canada today, and in addition new sources are being developed.

As the price of oil continues to climb, emissions requirements on ocean-going ships tighten, and China continues to advance their progress on climate change, it's going to be more cost effective to source in NA than ship across an ocean. That gap continues to widen as we move into a more carbon-constrained future. Mining stock prices are already rising, the industry's already reacting to the announcement.

AndyH said:
GRA said:
No - it doesn't assume anything. We're not talking about the KXL, solar plants in the desert, or charging stations so your points are dead on arrival.
My points were to illustrate the sort of 'friction' (to borrow from Clausewitz) that inevitably occurs in any major project, especially one subject to environmental review, not those specifically related to this project.

AndyH said:
Hiccups are a concern with a single point of supply, but that's not a factor either. The fact remains that the raw materials the project needs are available in the US and Canada today, and in addition new sources are being developed.

As the price of oil continues to climb, emissions requirements on ocean-going ships tighten, and China continues to advance their progress on climate change, it's going to be more cost effective to source in NA than ship across an ocean. That gap continues to widen as we move into a more carbon-constrained future. Mining stock prices are already rising, the industry's already reacting to the announcement.
Sure, and none of them will suffer any delays, or cost more than the alternatives. Just to take a single case, you mentioned lithium production in Nevada. You might want to get ahold of "Bottled Lightning: Superbatteries, Electric Cars, and the New Lithium Economy", by Seth Fletcher. Fletcher devotes a chapter or two to world lithium supplies and production, and visits projects in Chile, Bolivia, and the one you're referring to in Nevada. The one in Chile is established, on an industrial scale and benefits from the fact that unlike Nevada the lithium can be extracted via evaporation ponds, i.e. a major cost advantage. Bolivia has the world's largest reserves of lithium and would have similar extraction benefits, but their attempts to develop it (at least at the time the book was published in 2011) are small scale, amateurish, and inefficient. Nevada has some major companies involved, but is still small scale, and not only are the wages and salaries they'll have to pay higher and their extraction and purification costs greater, but they also have to comply with stricter environmental and safety regulation than is the case in South America or most of the rest of the world where mineral resources are extracted; transportation remains a very small part of the total cost, even assuming tighter environmental regs on shipping (see http://www.amazon.com/Ninety-Percent-Everything-Shipping-Invisible/dp/0805092633" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). At the moment, on-shoring is being driven largely by higher wages and salaries in China, not shipping costs (although as you point out that may change, depending on fuel costs).

But every single one of those new sources that Tesla will need will require environmental permitting, development, financing, etc. Tesla has conflicting requirements: they _want_ to source here, but they _must_ seriously reduce the price of batteries to make the Model E affordable. Given Tesla's track record to date, being late and/or overbudget on every project they've started (and that was sourcing most of their stuff off-the-shelf from already established suppliers with excess capacity), the Model X just being the most recent case, the odds of them being able to be the moving force behind establishing multiple new supply sources in several different high capital areas, while _simultaneously_ reducing their costs are somewhere about nil. At the moment they can't even convince Panasonic to invest in the Gigafactory, and they're Panasonic's best customer.

So, while they may get there eventually, initially they'll have to go for low cost and available over ideal. At the moment they benefit from a near complete lack of competition, but that's unlikely to be the case in the future.

GRA said:
... you mentioned lithium production in Nevada.
Actually, I didn't. I did, however, link to a report that suggests Wyoming can supply the Li.

University of Wyoming researchers found the lithium while studying the idea of storing carbon dioxide underground in the Rock Springs Uplift, a geologic formation in southwest Wyoming. University of Wyoming Carbon Management Institute director Ron Surdam stated that the lithium was found in underground brine. Surdam estimated the located deposit at roughly 228,000 tons in a 25-square-mile area. Extrapolating the data, Surdam said as the uplift covered roughly 2,000 square miles, there could be up to 18 million tons of lithium there, worth up to roughly $500 billion at current market prices.
And no, this won't increase the price, it'll actually reduce the price:
Several fortunate factors converge to make the lithium- CO2 storage reservoir concept more than merely feasible. While lithium production from brines requires sodium carbonate (soda ash), transporting soda ash to lithium production facilities is often a significant expense the Rock Springs Uplift CO2 storage site is located 20-30 miles of the world’s largest industrial soda ash supplies, so costs of soda ash delivery would be minor. While magnesium must be removed from brines before they can be used for lithium recovery, the Rock Springs Uplift reservoirs contain much less magnesium than brines at existing, currently profitable lithium mining operations. While brines must be heated and pressurized before lithium can be extracted, the Rock Springs Uplift brines lie so far underground, they are already at a higher pressure and temperature than brines at existing lithium operations, allowing any potential operators largely eliminate the step, further lessening costs.

Guy - Tesla announced their intention to purchase raw materials from North America. The suppliers are the ones that must do THEIR jobs - and they'll supply the materials or they won't. While I understand some here are fans of 'cheaper is better' or 'economics always wins', we've turned the corner and are in a different world. I would have thought that first indication of this would have been Musk's statement that he intends to buy "local" rather than based on price. Unlike you and I, Guy, he's not only a skilled entrepreneur and business owner, but is waaaaay out on the pointy end of the spear - he's making history, not following in some mystery author's footsteps.

Time will tell. Until that day, I'm done with this.

edit...added quotes from previously posted link. Wyoming Lithium Deposit

http://texasgreenreport.wordpress.c...any-makes-a-proposition-to-the-big-oil-state/

Elon's got "Governor GoodHair" thinking...should we be scared? ;)

Texas, specifically San Antonio, is one of the most desirable sites for the gigafactory. By placing the factory in Texas, Tesla would extend its influence from California to second largest state in the union. Texas has an ample number of skilled workers available to fill positions at the new plant, and it is also the only state that isn’t landlocked which makes it perfect for exporting new goods.
Wherever the new Tesla plant is built, the factory itself will represent a giant step forward in the effort to create new technologies that reduce our carbon footprint. While adding more fuel-less cars on our roadways would reduce our mobile emissions, Tesla seems to also be mindful of the impact that production of such vehicles can have on the environment and climate. Tesla plans to source only North American raw materials for battery production, and post-production of the battery will only need to be transported to their headquarters in California. The factory itself will be run on solar and wind sources operated at the plant, while using batteries to store excess generated energy.
Amazingly, Governor Perry seems to side with Tesla, acknowledging that “the cachet of being able to say we put that manufacturing facility in your state is hard to pass up.” Perry believes legislatures need to have the discussion about whether the “antiquated” law still needs to exist, though he has opted to not bring the Legislature back for a special session to consider the issue. The question as to whether the company will wait until 2015 to decide on the location of the new plant – when the Texas Legislature comes back to Austin for its biennial regular session – remains to be seen.

AndyH said:
Time will tell. Until that day, I'm done with this.
Indeed. Let's check back in 2017 and see how things are going. BTW, thanks for the link to the Wyoming deposit, that would certainly help costs, assuming they've got the capital to get this into production (and the Lithium is at a high enough concetration, and they don't have to drill too far or remove any overburden, and etc. etc.). So here's one for you, the USGS world Lithium summary current up to the end of 2013:

http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/lithium/mcs-2014-lithi.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hmmm ... $316 a share? No posts in quite awhile and with the recent rise once again thought it worthwhile to resurrect this thread.

http://blogs.barrons.com/stockstowa...s-316-here-we-come/?mod=yahoobarrons&ru=yahoo

Of course all this is speculation but as long as you can afford to lose it, still have skin in the game -- there are times where I wish I bought more earlier but others when I'm glad I don't have too much riding on it --- even at current price levels the $316 would be a 30% uptick which is still pretty amazing

A reality check from Morgan Stanley about EVs and Tesla?

"1. EVs are failing categorically on a global scale. Tesla aside, nearly the rest of the auto industry’s efforts to successfully commercialize pure electric propulsion have fallen well short of the mark. In fact, many of the world’s largest OEMs appear to have put major EV development on ice. We would not underestimate the influence of the global industry to lobby for a substantial revision of existing CARB rules to slow down the pace of milestones they have little hope of achieving (besides Tesla). In fact, we expect a revision.

2. China demand growth may be severely limited by Tesla’s ability to develop the supporting dealer and service infrastructure. Tesla is not interested in achieving short term profitability at the risk of disappointing new customers, particular in the world’s largest, fastest growing car market. We believe demand for the model S and X in China will far outstrip Tesla’s ability to meet it…

3. Democratization of EVs is going too far, as it requires breakthroughs that may be too unreasonable to take for granted as a base case. Gigafactory benefits should be expected to make the Model 3 a better product, not a cheaper product. We view Tesla as a niche player, not a mass manufacturer.

4. In an autonomous world, why will people buy a Tesla? Our 15 year DCF coincides with the end of human driving and the dawn of crowd sourced mobility and mega fleets. Assuming people even buy cars at all, what will determine Tesla’s strategic and competitive advantage as a provider of mobility?"

Elon must have made the last commission payment to Morgan on $3B bond 'float' done six months ago.

LOL. TSLA is down because of this cr@p from MS ?

Main reason I think it is overvalued is that people assume there will be no competitors.

What was released from Morgan Stanley is indicative of what a joke the financial markets have
become, i.e. the same basic market informative was known six months ago when MB forecasted
a near term TSLA price of $320 and underwrote Tesla's convertible bonds for $3.2B. Furthermore,
no significant EV market data has changed from the 1Q 2014, notwithstanding info in this thread
which is essentially rumors.

But what do you expect when you have all those QE dollars from the Fed causing asset inflation
especially in the financial markets? MB needs to find its next "momentum" stock to 'pump',
aka Alibaba, and 'milk' while dumping TSLA?

lorenfb said:
What was released from Morgan Stanley is indicative of what a joke the financial markets have
become, i.e. the same basic market informative was known six months ago when MB forecasted
a near term TSLA price of $320 and underwrote Tesla's convertible bonds for $3.2B. Furthermore,
no significant EV market data has changed from the 1Q 2014, notwithstanding info in this thread
which is essentially rumors.

But what do you expect when you have all those QE dollars from the Fed causing asset inflation
especially in the financial markets? MB needs to find its next "momentum" stock to 'pump',
aka Alibaba, and 'milk' while dumping TSLA?
This is exactly why analysts predictions/forecasts/statements are near worthless. They release stuff that moves stocks when little or nothing may have changed.

This is why one of my friends who is an options and technical analysis guru couldn't care less about "fundamentals" or what other people (esp. analysts) think. For many stocks, esp. momentum stocks like TSLA, their price has little to do w/the company's fundamentals (e.g. PE, PEG ratio, etc.)

cwerdna said:
This is why one of my friends who is an options and technical analysis guru couldn't care less about "fundamentals" or what other people (esp. analysts) think. For many stocks, esp. momentum stocks like TSLA, their price has little to do w/the company's fundamentals (e.g. PE, PEG ratio, etc.)

+1 Accurate analysis of what the Stock Market has become.

Beanie Babies for Adults.

Back