TSLA stock price discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trading under $200 again. Still has some downward momentum, so I'm not quite a buyer yet, but time to start paying attention to the stock again looking for a buying opportunity.

palmermd said:
Trading under $200 again. Still has some downward momentum, so I'm not quite a buyer yet, but time to start paying attention to the stock again looking for a buying opportunity.
I bought a little more and will keep an eye out for further bargains.
I base my optimism on two things:
1) Every time I walk into a Tesla store it's active with people inside and outside the display car asking questions and checking it out. I see no diminishment in desire.
2) Last night I was charging at the Oxnard Supercharger and chatted with a fairly new Model S owner. She's had the car for 4 months. Absolutely loves it and couldn't imagine going back to a gas car. She tells all who ask about it that "it's just a better car". I see no diminishment in owner satisfaction.
Those are good signs.

I don't expect we'll ever see any shortage of materialist gawkwers at malls. The real question is how deep is the pool of wealthy buyers, or perhaps more importantly, those with the capacity to borrow. I'd be more concerned about stock market or general economic downturns hitting them.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I don't expect we'll ever see any shortage of materialist gawkwers at malls. The real question is how deep is the pool of wealthy buyers, or perhaps more importantly, those with the capacity to borrow. I'd be more concerned about stock market or general economic downturns hitting them.
I agree that a pool of wealthy buyers is still a Tesla requirement for continued success. However, inventing and then sustaining, desire, is complex and hard to reduce to a formula. It's more important to TSLA pricing than $60/barrel oil IMO.
Adjacent "materialist gawker" stores Lulu Lemon and Sony were ghost towns by comparison. Apple Store seemed to possess a "materialist gawker" tractor beam.

So when is model x first delivery date now? I think those will sell like hotcakes! They will perfectly compliment Model S owners as their significant other preferred ride.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/17/investing/tesla-oil-prices/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$60k price point for model 3. Who knows, maybe the market likes that. Commodity stuff is probably another decade away.

Funnily enough I was watching the launch video yesterday. 2012. hmmm. Is there some over-promise issues going on?

sparky said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
I agree that a pool of wealthy buyers is still a Tesla requirement for continued success. However, inventing and then sustaining, desire, is complex and hard to reduce to a formula. It's more important to TSLA pricing than $60/barrel oil IMO.
Adjacent "materialist gawker" stores Lulu Lemon and Sony were ghost towns by comparison. Apple Store seemed to possess a "materialist gawker" tractor beam.

Don't forget to factor any future competitive products. Higher range EVs at much lower cost will put a dark spell on Musk's price creep tradition and could seriously hurt his bottom line depending on actual sell prices. With a reasonable disparity in price for a premium or status product it can work but it gets tough when the difference is much wider for high sales numbers.

EVDRIVER said:
Don't forget to factor any future competitive products. Higher range EVs at much lower cost will put a dark spell on Musk's price creep tradition and could seriously hurt his bottom line depending on actual sell prices. With a reasonable disparity in price for a premium or status product it can work but it gets tough when the difference is much wider for high sales numbers.

Yeah, let me know when Tesla has ANY competition. GM's "Bolt" is not in the same class, and doesn't exist yet. Tesla has no competition to date.

mitch672 said:
Yeah, let me know when Tesla has ANY competition. GM's "Bolt" is not in the same class, and doesn't exist yet. Tesla has no competition to date.

The way it looks to me is that the Bolt and the long range Leaf will be in competition. They appear to be about the same size and layout and pricing, will be close in range and battery size. It will be interesting to see when they start to publish some real specifications in a year or so.

mitch672 said:
EVDRIVER said:

If any of these show up, they will qualify. Via ievs.com:
Mercedes-Benz & Audi To Take Aim At Tesla With Upcoming 250-Mile Electric Cars
http://insideevs.com/mercedes-benz-audi-to-take-aim-at-tesla-with-upcoming-250-mile-electric-cars/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mwalsh said:
It's fun to see Musk have to trot himself out like a dancing bear to help stop the slide. :D

Umm, you might want to re-state that. He CAUSED the slide in the first place, by casually mentioning that China sales are way off in the 4th quarter.. If you're going to comment, at least know the facts,

mitch672 said:
Umm, you might want to re-state that. He CAUSED the slide in the first place, by casually mentioning that China sales are way off in the 4th quarter.. If you're going to comment, at least know the facts,

Yeah? And what has he done since then...spout as much bullshit about as much stuff as he could. Hell, I'm surprised he didn't bring up sending people down vaccum tubes again. "Hey, look...something shiny over there!"

too bad, so sad. seems like someone missed the TSLA express
Elon is the most innovative person on the planet, right now.

Builds Electric cars, better than anything else existing, better range & performance: check
Deploys it's own DC fast charging network worldwide, to enable the cars to replace the ICE: check
Designed his own rocket, delivers supplies, and soon people to the ISS: check
Sits on the board of director's of Solar City, which his cousins run: check
Designed the concept and will build a test track to test capsules for the Hyperloop (which will when eventually deployed replace air travel): check

The stock market is very myopic, looking at short term profits, that's not what wins the race. long term, steady growth and becoming a world class EV leader, that everyone tries to be like (though vey poorly), wins the race. Long term I am not worried about TSLA at all. Lead, Follow, or get the hell out of the way :)

mitch672 said:
too bad, so sad. seems like someone missed the TSLA express
Elon is the most innovative person on the planet, right now.

Builds Electric cars, better than anything else existing, better range & performance: check
Deploys it's own DC fast charging network worldwide, to enable the cars to replace the ICE: check
Designed his own rocket, delivers supplies, and soon people to the ISS: check
Sits on the board of director's of Solar City, which his cousins run: check
Designed the concept and will build a test track to test capsules for the Hyperloop (which will when eventually deployed replace air travel): check

The stock market is very myopic, looking at short term profits, that's not what wins the race. long term, steady growth and becoming a world class EV leader, that everyone tries to be like (though vey poorly), wins the race. Long term I am not worried about TSLA at all. Lead, Follow, or get the hell out of the way :)

"Builds Electric cars, better than anything else existing, better range & performance: check"

Not really, the MS design is basically like most other BEVs, i.e. off-the-shelf components, without
any real leading-edge technology. When you're in an inelastic product market where consumer
cost is not a factor, almost any feature, e.g. long range, can added and not affect sales. The real
test will come when the so-called model 3 arrives, if it ever does along with "Giga".

"Deploys it's own DC fast charging network worldwide, to enable the cars to replace the ICE"

That's an absolute necessity to sell the MS. Hardly any benevolence there toward society in
replacing ICE vehicles. China's 2014 sales shortfall is a perfect example of this.

"Designed his own rocket"

SpaceX physicists and engineers did!

"Sits on the board of director's of Solar City, which his cousins run"

And so do other board members.

Berlino said:
Lots of hate coming from Lorenfb. Is this recent with regards to Tesla, or was he one of those saying the company would go bankrupt in 2008?

No, it's just my view of reality. The MS is well made just like most vehicles being produced today whether
it's and an ICE or a BEV. There's nothing exceptional about it that other automotive OEMs couldn't
produce if they wanted to enter that segment of the market.

Back