TSLA stock price discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GeekEV said:
Boy, did I guess this one wrong. Should have held on instead of selling before the earnings report. :oops:

Never a bad thing to take profits.
At least you weren't shorting the stock :eek:

It would be beneficial to TSLA if more places enacted laws favoring ZEVs.

You can help by signing a petition to have a California-type ZEV regulation put in place in Quebec. Anyone who has an email address can sign. It only takes a minute. The deadline is March 3rd.

https://www.assnat.qc.ca/en/exprimez-votre-opinion/petition/Petition-4589/index.html

Though the link directs you to the page with English instructions, the body of the petition is in French. A Quebec EV site has provided a translation, accessible by scrolling down: http://www.aveq.ca/1/post/2014/02/le-qubec-pour-une-loi-zro-mission-du-rve-la-ralit.html

Quebec's population is just under eight million. If they manage to get on-board CARB-ZEV, two other pro-EV provinces, British Columbia and Ontario, could join as well. Then 25 million people in Canada (3/4 of the population) would live in zones covered by CARB-ZEV. As for the 4th most populous province, Alberta, they're too preoccupied with oil sands to consider alternatives to fossil fuels.

Zythryn said:
Oh, I know. But the unrealized gains still kinda sucks. I just keep telling myself I haven't LOST money, I just didn't make as much as I could have. Hindsight, 20/20 and all that...

GeekEV said:
Zythryn said:
Oh, I know. But the unrealized gains still kinda sucks. I just keep telling myself I haven't LOST money, I just didn't make as much as I could have. Hindsight, 20/20 and all that...

If I had perfect hindsight I would have bought 100 times what I did when the stock was at $17.50;)

The 'what ifs' do make you want to kick yourself though.

Zythryn said:
If I had perfect hindsight I would have bought 100 times what I did when the stock was at $17.50;)

Cleary what's needed is a time machine that is able to get us stock quotes on future date(s).
Now how much would a company that could build that be worth :)

mitch672 said:
Zythryn said:

Cleary what's needed is a time machine that is able to get us stock quotes on future date(s).

It would be worth nothing because the first guy to buy one would go back in time and kill the inventor so he has the only one.

Elephanthead said:
mitch672 said:
Zythryn said:

It would be worth nothing because the first guy to buy one would go back in time and kill the inventor so he has the only one.

You can't actually travel backwards or forwards in time physically with this invention, just get future stock quotes... NOW how much would you pay? :)

This should help the stock go up.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/gigafactory" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/gigafactory.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Certainly wish I could have increased my position right before the earnings report.

Every cult needs its utopian vision.

And according to the graph at the link below, the "utopian society" is only ~20 years away!

Morgan Stanley's "Utopian Society" Will Be Built By Tesla Motors Inc. Is It Time to Call a Top?

by Alex Planes, The Motley Fool Feb 25th 2014 12:17PM
Updated Feb 25th 2014 12:20PM

What's the price of utopia? Thanks to Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas, we know: It's $320 a share. That's his new target for shares of Tesla Motors, Inc. , representing roughly 33% more upside (after a morning pop) for a stock that's already gained more than 500% in a single year, a price that would push Tesla's market cap close to $40 billion. In other words, Tesla would be worth about $1.75 million for every single car it sold in 2013 and $1.1 million for every car it plans to sell in 2014.

But $320 a share, or $40 billion -- or any price at all when you think about it -- would be worth paying to reach a "utopian society," which is apparently the long-term opportunity available for Tesla...
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2014/02/25/morgan-stanleys-utopian-society-will-be-built-by-t/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Barron's gets the TSLA story only partially right IMO, in its comparison of how two corporations have exploited QE to redistribute the nation's wealth to their own shareholders.

While TSLA investors will probably provide scant future returns to investors IF Tesla revolutionizes the automobile industry, the far greater probability is that current stockholders will take huge losses when the stock price (along with the utopian vision) collapses.

...In truth, both Tesla and Apple have been taking advantage of the cheap capital provided by the Federal Reserve's quantitative easing. The former has exploited its tulip-valued shares to fund future potential growth. The latter is exploiting its balance sheet—at the behest of activist investors -- to return to shareholders cash that it cannot reinvest profitably.

The cruel irony is Tesla's stock, with a triple-digit multiple of this year's estimated earnings, may provide scant future returns to investors -- even as the company revolutionizes the automobile industry. The convertibles, meanwhile, are a richly valued bet on the future rise in the stock with little current income to compensate for the risk.

But by mailing ever-increasing dividend checks and by buying back stock, Apple's returns to its shareholders may be superior. The same may be said for an array of corporations who basically recycle the Fed's QE to stockholders.

To paraphrase Patrick Henry, if this be irrational exuberance, Tesla is making the most of it.
http://online.barrons.com/article/SB50001424053111904148504579408641769324148.html?mod=googlenews_barrons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So I take it your not an investor? I'm not sure they are telling the same story as Elon with the auto pilot in the Tesla. He is simply saying that when taking a long trip on the highway, you can engage "autopilot" and the car will take care of driving on the highway. The "pilot" will still be responsible for take off and landing (ie getting from your house to the freeway and back). Not quite the picture some have tried to make of this. Like everything else, people try to make more out of Tesla's comments than are really said, and then try and use this later to say they did not deliver on the promise (which was never said in the first place).

I've been an investor since just after the IPO, and I believe in their vision of what they are building and the direction they are taking the company. All the activity this week only strengthens my belief on the long term prospects of this company. Short term, I think we might see a small pullback, but long term they are going to be a big player in getting us off oil and onto sunshine and batteries.

evnow said:
TX is on the list purely to make them get rid off that anti-Tesla legislation.
Not likely. Texas is very business friendly, electricity is relatively inexpensive (and gets cheaper as more is used), there's a ton of new wind/solar being installed, and there's a significant work force waiting for a place to punch-in every morning.

In addition, Elon's already got a foothold here in the form of the SpaceX test facility near Waco, and an application for a spaceport in the state.
http://www.examiner.com/article/spa...land-for-possible-brownsville-texas-spaceport

Occupy Tesla is one movement I could get behind. A peaceful protest/sit in at their NJ location(s). I guess that's not appropriate on private property, but it might heighten the media focus.

Either way, Chris Christie is dead to me.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Occupy Tesla is one movement I could get behind. A peaceful protest/sit in at their NJ location(s). I guess that's not appropriate on private property, but it might heighten the media focus.

Either way, Chris Christie is dead to me.

Love it. You know, if I were a NJ resident (or even close), I'd be visiting all the dealers I could in my Model S. Sit around, chat with the dealers, while making sure to park in a nice prominent location.

edatoakrun said:
Every cult needs its utopian vision.

And according to the graph at the link below, the "utopian society" is only ~20 years away!

I think the EV revolution is much more compelling than the autonomous vehicle hooplah.

The real impetus behind autonomous vehicles is
1) people who consider driving to time better spent playing with their smartphones.
2) tech companies "marveling at their own magnificence as they give birth to AI", to paraphrase Morpheus.

If you'd prefer to have a robot drive you around in 20 years, I hope you get what you want but I think it may turn out to be a "bust".

johnny-cab.jpeg

In any case, your car will be powered by electricity.

Nubo said:
1) people who consider driving to time better spent playing with their smartphones.
2) tech companies "marveling at their own magnificence as they give birth to AI", to paraphrase Morpheus.
3) People who can't or shouldn't drive. Visually impaired and similar would find a self-driving car wonderful.

WetEV said:
Nubo said:
3) People who can't or shouldn't drive. Visually impaired and similar would find a self-driving car wonderful.

Until the car says "Unable to compute speed or detect lane markers, collision may be imminent. Vehicle released to human control."

Stealing Nissan's spokespeople. Probably not the best source for passing information from OEM to customer, but is an interesting hire.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-12/musk-s-tesla-hires-chief-spokesman-from-renault-nissan.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back