Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bravo Nissan! Bravo Carlos Ghosn!
After lurking here for years, decided to buy an (old) new 2011 demo this past March. I am very happy with that decision.
I hope that the Canadian price is identical, otherwise I'll drive for a couple of days (no QC, 3.3 kw Charger) to the US when the time comes :)

myleaf said:
TomT said:
The residual is ridiculously high and way beyond what the car is worth

Wouldn't this announcement increase the resale value of LEAFs?

The new information may or may not be reflected in resale values, eventually, but I went to a dealer this evening to see if they could pull forward the lease on my 2012 to a new lease on a 2015. It was very clear that they, really, really, really did not want my 2012 back.

Actually, I do not expect it to have any practical affect... It would be like saying that this ICE is suddenly worth more because you can now spend six grand and get a new engine for it... The resale market simply does not work that way. MAYBE to a private party, but very unlikely to a dealer or auction house.

myleaf said:
TomT said:
The residual is ridiculously high and way beyond what the car is worth
Wouldn't this announcement increase the resale value of LEAFs?

TomT said:
It would be like saying that this ICE is suddenly worth more because you can now spend six grand and get a new engine for it...

But isn't it like saying that this ICE is worth more because you can now spend six grand and get a new engine for it, and before you did not know if you could get a new engine for it or how much the engine would cost?

I don't beleive you will ever see a retrofit battery offered by Nissan that has more than the original 24Kwh capacity...

ILETRIC said:
My point is, maybe it's worth our while to just wait 2-3 years and get a 120-and-up mile battery instead. I'm definitely willing to buy a spacer kit for that. :)

myleaf said:
TomT said:
It would be like saying that this ICE is suddenly worth more because you can now spend six grand and get a new engine for it...

But isn't it like saying that this ICE is worth more because you can now spend six grand and get a new engine for it, and before you did not know if you could get a new engine for it or how much the engine would cost?

I'm with Tom. It will have little to no effect on second hand values. Just this evening I was quick charging at a gas station and a group of dudes in a pickup truck (who smelled of beer) leaned out and asked "Is that gas you're putting in there"? - they were being serious BTW. Faced with that level of public consciousness, they won't act any different today towards a LEAF as they would have yesterday.

They were astounded I could do my commute for $30/month, a dude in the back seat yelled he'd spend $30/day if he had my commute. They scratched their heads when I told them the electric was free for 2 years if you bought a LEAF.

No charge to charge will impact car demand and used values much more than a battery replacement program.

This program is really for us who own/lease 2011-14 Non-Lizard Battery Leaf's. there is no second hand market to speak of yet. Dealers typically auction the Leaf's they trade, they can't shift them.

TomT said:
I don't believe you will ever see a retrofit battery offered by Nissan that has more than the original 24Kwh capacity...
To which I always say...everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

I mean, it's a start. I want to wait and see what this battery will do, what my current battery will do, what other opportunities arise, such as aftermarket, and what's next for the Leaf 2016 or 17. All that before I plunk down 6 grand for 20 or so miles. So far I'm holding steady at 60 range in mild weather. It is what it is, for now. Got Spark that does 80+ and want to look at MBB.

And then, of course GM 200 and Tesla E. Unless I win the lotto in which case 6 Gs won't matter.

Maybe you can make a cathode and anode and turn that beer electrolyte in to the higher capacity battery ... :lol:

ILETRIC said:
TomT said:
I don't believe you will ever see a retrofit battery offered by Nissan that has more than the original 24Kwh capacity...
To which I always say...everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

LTLFTcomposite said:
DaveInAvl said:
thankyouOB said:
Not to mention...

"Disposable car", RIP :D
You may be overestimating the enthusiasm people will have for spending that kind of money on an older car. Not like this is the only thing the car will need as it ages.

It won't need much more. The things that go on a gasser aren't on a Leaf: timing belt (which destroys your engine if it breaks), tranny, exhaust system, etc.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Not like this is the only thing the car will need as it ages.

Good point. If the motor, controller or DC/DC inverter went bad 3 weeks after you coughed up the best part of 6K you'd be sick. Mr Brockman only mentioned warranty coverage on the new battery, it would appear the rest of the drive-train does not benefit from a renewed/extended warranty as part of the deal.

For me as I approach winter and face a commute that has once again been extended thanks to an office move 2 weeks ago, I may or may not be able to make it one way without a topoff. I'm not as devoted as Steve Marsh and won't be stopping twice a day to quick charge. In that eventuality I will probably plump down the 6K. Its refreshing to have that option rather than be forced to trade up to a new/used LEAF and take the depreciation hit, or drive my wife's Altima and go back to the 20th century. I can continue to drive my LEAF for as long as I want to, and that is huge.

BTW have you noticed how the comments have changed from "I want to know the price of a new battery" to "Well, I'm gonna wait until xyz". Not many saying "great, where do I sign up"? Fancy that :cry: Who'd a thunk it?

I bet a couple CV boots will set you back six hunge. Probably several things in that category. Still plenty of things to drain your wallet.

The basic parts of the car still wear out and degrade regardless... Spending $6K on a battery would not make economic sense beyond a certain age...

pkulak said:
It won't need much more. The things that go on a gasser aren't on a Leaf: timing belt (which destroys your engine if it breaks), tranny, exhaust system, etc.

Nice surprise, been keeping an eye for used Leaf's in the Southeast Michigan area. Wonder how much the labor will be to swap the packs though :?:

LTLFTcomposite said:
I bet a couple CV boots will set you back six hunge. Probably several things in that category. Still plenty of things to drain your wallet.

Excellent point!!

A good service writer will detect this risk and offer the anxious battery pack purchaser a "one time, never to be repeated" deal on an extended security+ vehicle warranty. "Just in case".

You can pay now, or you can pay later.

Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in.

Now I have to seriously give some thought about buying out my lease. I really like my car. I'm pretty sure I would also really like a 2016 LEAF too. :)

mikeyd810 said:
Nice surprise, been keeping an eye for used Leaf's in the Southeast Michigan area. Wonder how much the labor will be to swap the packs though :?:

3 labor hours, which could be anywhere from $250-$500, depending on the dealer.

Back