Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must admit that, on first glance at least, Nissan has surprised me by taking the right and fair path... It took them far too long to get there but at least they finally did arrive at the correct answer...

One thing we will not know for some time of course is whether or not the lizard battery is actually better at resisting degradation... But that is another story.

Wow! Amazing price! So happy Nissan is pricing this to help the movement (as if they would have announced a price 2x this)

So the 2015s have "lizard" batteries? Anyone have a 2015?

From Autoevolution.com:
Until now, Nissan has been quiet as to how much a replacement battery will cost for Leaf owners, but proving how entrenched the EV community is, the automaker decided to announce the price of the battery directly on a forum rather than through its official media website.
:mrgreen:

And also, how much can I get it for at Amazon... :lol:

But seriously...who's got 6 grand laying around to get extra 25 (?) extra miles off their car?
I'll tell my wife it's available, and I am truly curious what she's gonna say. Beacuse it means dipping into my/our 401k/IRA to finance this crazy deal, good as it appears to be.

You see, we've gotten used to our 60-mile Costco/Safeway Leaf. My point is, maybe it's worth our while to just wait 2-3 years and get a 120-and-up mile battery instead. I'm definitely willing to buy a spacer kit for that. :)

epirali said:
But to be able to say you can plan the cost of new batteries as part of your ownership is an amazing plus. And it truly is very reasonable. Considering a new Tesla battery is around $40K (yes I know it is 3x the capacity) this is quite reasonable.

One thing to consider with Tesla's $40k battery is that every battery they sell as a replacement is one fewer vehicle they can sell that year. They pretty much need to build the profit of a car into the battery price for now

TomT said:
I must admit that, on first glance at least, Nissan has surprised me by taking the right and fair path... It took them far too long to get there but at least they finally did arrive at the correct answer...

One thing we will not know for some time of course is whether or not the lizard battery is actually better at resisting degradation... But that is another story.
+1. Even though I'm not directly affected, I've been one of the most critical of Nissan's decisions and especially their communication skills. So, thanks to the advisory group, plus all the rest of you who kept pounding away at this so that Nissan couldn't assume they could ignore it and it would fade away. Now, they just need to man/woman up, tell their lawyers to shut up and sit down, and eliminate the BO133 nonsense.

GRA said:
TomT said:

+1. Even though I'm not directly affected, I've been one of the most critical of Nissan's decisions and especially their communication skills. So, thanks to the advisory group, plus all the rest of you who kept pounding away at this so that Nissan couldn't assume they could ignore it and it would fade away. Now, they just need to man/woman up, tell their lawyers to shut up and sit down, and eliminate the BO133 nonsense.

--

SYB, RIP

GRA said:
Now, they just need to man/woman up, tell their lawyers to shut up and sit down, and eliminate the BO133 nonsense.

+1. There were a couple of other things I had problems with, but a price on replacement packs was one of the major objections I had to Klee (in that it didn't address that particular issue at all). I might actually be willing to opt-in again now, if the opportunity presented itself. I'm not saying for sure I would, but I might.

Took my 12 year old son down to the garage, pointed at the Leaf and told him this will be his first car.

5500 is 55 Months @ $100 a month. That is 4.5 years.

Leasing the battery @100 a month would be better if the battery were to degrade quicker than 4.5 years i.e. with the old battery leasing would be the better deal in southern "80 degrees is not hot" states.

It would appear that those of us who anticipate getting a new battery from warranty will avoid the $225 refit fee because it will be taken care of under warranty.

CmdrThor said:
epirali said:
But to be able to say you can plan the cost of new batteries as part of your ownership is an amazing plus. And it truly is very reasonable. Considering a new Tesla battery is around $40K (yes I know it is 3x the capacity) this is quite reasonable.

One thing to consider with Tesla's $40k battery is that every battery they sell as a replacement is one fewer vehicle they can sell that year. They pretty much need to build the profit of a car into the battery price for now

Well their battery design is more advanced, and has much more technology. But at end of the day 80 miles @ 6k beats 240 @ 40k no matter how you slice it.

I would guess tesla makes good money off each car/battery, and Nissan is losing money.

While I am glad that they are finally stepping up to the plate, I will still not be buying my Leaf next year for two reasons: The residual is ridiculously high and way beyond what the car is worth, and I want to step up to something more upscale and, more importantly, with more range... I will also still be withholding anything but a limited lease recommendation on the car until we have a true track record for the lizard...

4n7h0ny said:
I am soooo happy!!! I will definitely be purchasing my leaf after the lease is up....what a deal!!!

Back