Feature requests/input for MUXSAN 45kWh replacement LEAF battery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great information and really admire your work on all the developments, I'm building an EV Land Rover, based on a 2019 40Kwh Leaf, the battery pack and charging using a Resolve_EV controller's a challenge, as then I discover later Leaf won't run Chademo with that controller, may have to use an older PDM, but the info above regarding the cooling on the rear section of the battery pack is interesting. In this EV conversion, it would be necessary to split the cells up and position around the vehicle, so my guess is, this would help to some degree, but significantly so?
Yeah, it seems like you can somewhat safely depend on stacks of 3-4 modules at a time, but more and you'll run into thermal and end-of-life mechanical issues (cells swelling up and popping your constraints)

My second dream idea would be to design an extender pack that fits into the empty space where a spare tire goes in some.markets (not in the US or EU I think). It's just wasted space.right now, and if you could get a design with 8-10 kWh into that space it would be a nearly no trade offs way of expanding range.
We tried that, in fact I've done a few 3D scans back in the day (with a kinect, before we had a proper 3D scanner) to see how it would fit. You can get 20+ kWh in there, but it's a terrible position for a battery. There's little protection against the elements, the space is very irregularly shaped and the battery space interferes with a bunch of optional elements like the electric parking brake on gen1 and tow hitches. It's a challenge to get a battery underneath there.

Yeah, it seems like you can somewhat safely depend on stacks of 3-4 modules at a time, but more and you'll run into thermal and end-of-life mechanical issues (cells swelling up and popping your constraints)

We tried that, in fact I've done a few 3D scans back in the day (with a kinect, before we had a proper 3D scanner) to see how it would fit. You can get 20+ kWh in there, but it's a terrible position for a battery. There's little protection against the elements, the space is very irregularly shaped and the battery space interferes with a bunch of optional elements like the electric parking brake on gen1 and tow hitches. It's a challenge to get a battery underneath there.
Incredible! Thank you again for taking the time to answer. While 20kWh would be amazing, even 10 carefully jammed in there would make the Leaf Plus a doable long ranger. Didn't think about the tow hitch delima though.

Guessing market for a 10K USD upgrade for the Leaf extender spare tire pack might be limited.

Back