The Market will Respond to After-Market Battery Demand

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
electricfuture said:
The only way to protect yourself is by periodically requesting the individual cell check and ask for a copy of the printout.
But most dealers will not provide that free. My dealer would do it, but indicated it takes a while and would cost around one hour of labor time.
It is not done as part of the annual battery "test" apparently.
A few people have had their dealer provide it to them at no cost, but I don't think most dealers will do this.
More practical to monitor individual cells and log the date with Leaf Spy Pro.

TimLee said:
But most dealers will not provide that free. My dealer would do it, but indicated it takes a while and would cost around one hour of labor time.
It is not done as part of the annual battery "test" apparently.
A few people have had their dealer provide it to them at no cost, but I don't think most dealers will do this.

As we will be paying for the annual report from year 3 onwards, it might be cost advantageous to get a full cell report in addition to the 5-star BS report for Nissan. After all, I've been quoted (IIRC) $37 for that, which has to represent around a half-hour of tech time. Surely a tech should be able to do both within an hour, since there has to be significant labor crossover?

Looks like you can buy used modules (58 Ah measured on 4.2V-2.8V discharge at 20A) for $109/ea or new modules for $125/ea. Half a pack available for $2,160 / $2,450 respectively, or $4,320 / $4,900 for a full pack respectively.

On eBay from seller hybrid.parts:
http://r.ebay.com/ZLyOFx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - The new modules
http://r.ebay.com/11mgc7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - The used modules

Their web site:
http://hybridautocenter.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like they're in Vegas. Hope they're storing those cells in an air conditioned space and at nominal voltage!

It appears that they are pulling the used modules from salvaged cars. I'm _very_ curious as to where they are getting the new modules from. They claim to be able to get both MY'11-12 and MY'13 style modules.

drees said:
Looks like you can buy used modules (58 Ah measured on 4.2V-2.8V discharge at 20A) for $109/ea or new modules for $125/ea. Half a pack available for $2,160 / $2,450 respectively, or $4,320 / $4,900 for a full pack respectively.

It appears that they are pulling the used modules from salvaged cars. I'm _very_ curious as to where they are getting the new modules from. They claim to be able to get both MY'11-12 and MY'13 style modules.

Nice find!

drees said:
... It appears that they are pulling the used modules from salvaged cars. I'm _very_ curious as to where they are getting the new modules from. They claim to be able to get both MY'11-12 and MY'13 style modules.
Great find drees :!:
Maybe the so called "new modules" are from salvaged vehicles that were scrapped while relatively "new". They might not be truly recently manufactured "new".
Hard to see how they could be managing to get their hands on truly "new" modules from Nissan's HV battery supplier for $204 per kWh :?: :? :?
If it is actually a new battery at $4,900, why would Nissan refuse to give a replacement price :?: :?:

Look at the graph I found on Hybrid Parts website:

Sure looks like they tested these cells recently (Nov). Also, they show pallet freight shipping to Continental US at only a couple hundred bucks. This sure looks like a reasonable path to a pack refresh for someone like me that is almost out of warranty...

Excellent Work!, With a source and price numbers, we can plan.

If someone rebuilds a pack, please let us know; with details please, youtube?

Here is a web site that I follow. They build and run LiFePO4 battery packs without using a BMS. their approach is to bottom balance each cell before assembly. I know the Leaf is a different chemistry; but, the idea of bottom balancing might be worth study. But, I get ahead of my self, anyway.....
http://www.evtv.me" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fotajoye said:
Excellent Work!, With a source and price numbers, we can plan.

If someone rebuilds a pack, please let us know; with details please, youtube?

Here is a web site that I follow. They build and run LiFePO4 battery packs without using a BMS. their approach is to bottom balance each cell before assembly. I know the Leaf is a different chemistry; but, the idea of bottom balancing might be worth study. But, I get ahead of my self, anyway.....
http://www.evtv.me" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I absolutely and completely disagree with the "bottom balance" theory for our batteries. No current major auto manufacturer does it, nor do I expect them to.

mwalsh said:
I wish people would stop posting those numbers for the various online parts sites. Those are not battery packs!
What are they then? The picture seems to clearly show the battery pack?

fotajoye said:
@TonyWilliams:

Interesting comment! One worthy of debate, but, off topic here.

Do you have a link for this subject?

Well, the only person who would debate in support of this is the guy who does it (and I'm sure he has legions of followers).

Is there any chance in the future of manufacturers earning CARB-ZEV credits for selling you a new battery?

If so, we might not have to look at after-market 3rd-parties.

You see these various sources for repairing a cracked iphone screen; I think that is possible because Apple uses various suppliers for those parts, and there are a bunch of suppliers willing to do an end run and sell parts that fell off a truck. My understanding is there is only one supplier for LEAF pack modules (AESC?). The market is still relatively small, and manufacturing those modules doesn't look like an easy trick, so until there is enough of a population of cars out there for someone to see a market in that investment there will only be one source for the modules. This isn't like making water pumps for Camrys.

It would really help if Infiniti came out with the LE and maybe AESC supplied the modules to other mfrs... if that module became sort of a defacto standard. Better yet, make the subsidy contingent (or bigger) on using some sort of standard. That could inhibit innovation though. Besides, we don't want a lot of government involvement in our lives :lol:

Latest posts

Back