Tesla Cybertruck

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's an entirely new way to think about a truck. It looks different and acts different. My old pickup has a dozen dents and the sides of the bed were pounded out several times before I quit trying to fix them. Between the thin sheetmetal and my wife's driving, the exterior sheetmetal on the bed looks like a funhouse mirror. I like the idea of a body that you can't dent with a sledgehammer. The bed is a little short but I can still carry sheet goods with the tailgate down. Lockable storage is a plus. I am willing to give up my long bed for the second row of seats. I'm concerned about what the range will be with a 5000 lb, two horse trailer attached. I would probably be looking at the dual motor 300 mi version for that reason. While I 'd like the 500 mi range for insurance, not for 20K more. I don't haul long distances anyway. I have PV so an electric truck makes sense. What I'm not sure about is giving up my Leaf and driving a 20 ft long truck every day. It's an either/or situation, keep the 15 year old gasser for hauling and keep driving an EV car or sell off the truck and the Leaf and get a CyberTruck and use it for everything. I'm going to have to replace the Leaf in a couple of years anyway, so I need to see what makes the most sense for me.

The CyberTruck is ugly but It's growing on me. I have questions about crumple zones, passenger protection, and required equipment. I don't know if the front lights are adequate either. I'd like more details on the frunk and the side storage compartments. I want to know how towing affects range. I want to actually drive one.

jlv said:
This looks just weirder than weird.

I think the reveal last night helped get Rivian a bunch of deposits. For the R1T, you only need to get over the silly headlights.
I still think it looks weird, but it's growing on me, especially after seeing more pictures of it over the weekend.

I still don't think it will appear at all to the stereotypical "truck guy". But those same people won't buy the R1T because of it's headlights.

I think the base truck will end up costing $60K or more -- they'll make a token effort to offer the $40K one (like they did on the Model 3), but I strongly suspect they won't be able to sell it at that price.

jlv said:
I still don't think it will appear at all to the stereotypical "truck guy". ...

I think it will win over some real "truck guys". For someone who really cares about "tough", an armored badass that pulls like a locomotive may be just the ticket. Now they just need to make it durable enough to live up to the image the stainless shell evokes.

To meet the specs that make it compelling old fashioned body on frame/steel stampings/etc just isn't possible with an EV given current battery technology. For that reason Rivian and Ford will fail; it will be back to the Prius argument... people will look at it and say for the extra $30k you'll never make it back in gas savings. From a marketing standpoint what they did may be genius: It isn't a truck, it's a cybertruck! You don't cross-shop it with an F150, the same way you don't cross shop a circular saw with a food processor.

Stolen from https://www.reddit.com/r/TeslaLounge/comments/e1aa1g/i_love_it/
g4kh6hse8r041.jpg

My buddy just reserved one. He runs a landscaping business and said that the adjustable ride height and built in ramp would be great for getting in and out, he likes the steel body so he doesn't have to worry about dings and scratches, thinks it looks cool, and likes that he can power or charge his electric trimmers etc... easily from the vehicle.

Whether he buys it or not remains to be seen but his current vehicle is a 2016 Nissan Frontier 4-dr and I would consider him a "truck guy". He told me it's $100 fully refundable so what is there to lose...

golfcart said:
<snip>

Whether he buys it or not remains to be seen but his current vehicle is a 2016 Nissan Frontier 4-dr and I would consider him a "truck guy". He told me it's $100 fully refundable so what is there to lose...

Two years of interest? <Rimshot>

GRA said:
golfcart said:
<snip>

At my bank's current savings account rate, that's 10 cents a year. In a money market account, $1.50/yr.

After initial knees jerk reaction - I decided to re-evaluate the Cybertruck offering from Tesla. I concluded - it it the best value Tesla ever offered to buyers. I have no doubt - they priced it way below market value even for ICE trucks, not to mention EV truck that currently floating at the >$90k. This freaking thing is pretty much indestructible with air suspension - that no other truck is offering (think about automatic leveling).
So I placed a reservation for the middle trim AWD model with FSD, yes FSD, because of I plan on keeping it for over 20 years, so musk have no choice, but to deliver on it. :cool:

GRA said:
golfcart said:
<snip>

Really? Stay tuned for 2020 announcements.

I'm not terribly impressed by announcements, especially when they come from Tesla. Products that people can actually buy at the previously 'announced' price are a lot more convincing.

This is heading up.
https://techcrunch-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/techcrunch.com/2019/11/25/ford-vp-challenges-tesla-to-a-fair-f-150-vs-cybertruck-tow-battle/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCKAE%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Ftechcrunch.com%2F2019%2F11%2F25%2Fford-vp-challenges-tesla-to-a-fair-f-150-vs-cybertruck-tow-battle%2F

LTLFTcomposite said:
This is heading up.
https://techcrunch-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/techcrunch.com/2019/11/25/ford-vp-challenges-tesla-to-a-fair-f-150-vs-cybertruck-tow-battle/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCKAE%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Ftechcrunch.com%2F2019%2F11%2F25%2Fford-vp-challenges-tesla-to-a-fair-f-150-vs-cybertruck-tow-battle%2F

Totally laughable demo!

Telsa has over 200,000 preorders as of yesterday. Planned production is 50,000/yr. That's a four year backlog. Even if 75% cancel their orders, that's still the first year's production sold. Elon may need another factory! May I suggest Mississippi or Louisiana. Cheap labor and easy shipping access.

GRA said:
I'm not terribly impressed by announcements, especially when they come from Tesla. Products that people can actually buy at the previously 'announced' price are a lot more convincing.
Ding ding ding, this guy wins.

The Cybertruck at $39k is little more than a joke. Tesla couldn't even produce a $35k model 3, despite it being the main plank of the entire damn vehicle, now we are to believe they have a huge truck at $39k. Forget it.
johnlocke said:
Telsa has over 200,000 preorders as of yesterday. Planned production is 50,000/yr. That's a four year backlog. Even if 75% cancel their orders, that's still the first year's production sold. Elon may need another factory! May I suggest Mississippi or Louisiana. Cheap labor and easy shipping access.
I can't tell if you're joking, so I will just speak plainly: Conversion rate of model 3 was well south of 50% with $1000 deposits. Tesla set the deposit amount on the cybertruck at $100 for a very good reason. I expect conversion more around 10% to be honest. These reservation numbers are utterly, thoroughly meaningless.

Do you know how many model y reservations there are? No, you don't, because they are low. Tesla set $100 so that musk could then pimp the number on twitter. Nothing more.

As another savvy member stated before. This is a horrific scam to get mucho $$$ and newsworthiness. That car, as it stands, will never be made. Just the weight that the truck would have to have in order to be so "armored", the $$$ for the batteries that would be needed, and other things could NEVER meet the $40K advertized price point.

This is just a fantasy car for men-boys to drool over, and think they are going to drive a HALO video game "Warthog" 4X4...

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
Tesla set the deposit amount on the cybertruck at $100 for a very good reason. I expect conversion more around 10% to be honest. These reservation numbers are utterly, thoroughly meaningless.

Do you know how many model y reservations there are? No, you don't, because they are low. Tesla set $100 so that musk could then pimp the number on twitter. Nothing more.
+1

(EDIT: a paragraph I did not write appeared here)

Back