SOC-Meter Kit DIY Assembly

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the story on the 8 unused wires? Since you ask us to bundle and tape them rather than cut them, Is there possible future capability on these wires?

I won't be able to make further progress until after I return from my trip early next week.

Primarily, avoid shorts:
1. Cut off the stripped bare wire ends so they are less likely to short with each other, and
2. tape (or otherwise fix) them such that nothing shorts against the resulting cut ends.

The 2 wires from the AV-CAN buss would be the only thing that might (unlikely) be useful.

Have a safe trip.

garygid said:
2. tape (or otherwise fix) them such that nothing shorts against the resulting cut ends.

I cut each wire at different lengths, either just a bit longer or shorter than the next. That way you only have to tape the bundle, and each wire's insulation protects it from shorting against another.

mwalsh said:
I cut each wire at different lengths, either just a bit longer or shorter than the next. That way you only have to tape the bundle, and each wire's insulation protects it from shorting against another.
I followed this advice. I have made substantial progress, finishing all soldering. I also followed your advice on length of cable, shortening it by 17".

I had to re-solder several joints after inspection with the magnifier. I did make one mistake early on: after soldering the green wire, I noticed another green wire. Upon close inspection, I finally saw a thin black stripe on the first wire - it was actually green-black.

Below are shots of the tools I have used so far. The tools are various ages, some nearly as old as I am. The magnifier lens and spot lamp are new, both purchased at Target for this project. The magnifier is poor quality, but the 4X spot insert did the job for inspecting the quality of the solder joints. The rubber-jawed vise was very handy for holding the small parts while soldering. The LED spot lamp is excellent ($30), with a very nice bright white, not ghostly, lens-augmented beam.

I would be glad to bring these tools to any kit assembly work-shop to assist others.

IMG9404-M.jpg

IMG9405-M.jpg

Here is my work, ready for the mechanical part. I will do a final triple check before I summon the courage to run the test procedure. I probably won't get to that until the end of the week.

IMG9401-M.jpg

IMG9402-M.jpg

IMG9403-M.jpg

The instructions (Rev 8) look accurate, but there are still a few places where there might be some possibility of confusion. For example, on Page 4, B.1.b, Housing 2x4, Top Row, you might add:
Black (Part 17) from Black PB and on Bottom Row, Black (Part 14) from display.
It would also be more reassuring to state that the 6x1 and 4x2 blocks are symmetric on the side that mates with the headers on the computer board, and therefore they have no preferred orientation before the crimp-pins are inserted, even though the crimp-pins have to be inserted with the correct orientation to snap-in. For you folks who do this a lot, this is probably obvious, but it was not to me.

Tom,
Good progress.
From your picture of the 4x2 header in the push-button picture, I cannot tell if the Red wire is in the BOTTOM row (left-to-right):
top: B,n,n,n
bottom: B,R,n,n

Ready for smoke test?
See you Saturday, I hope.

New firmware (F1.08) should be available ...
to "flash" (write) into your SOC-Meter at our Gathering.

garygid said:
Tom,
Good progress.
From your picture of the 4x2 header in the push-button picture, I cannot tell if the Red wire is in the BOTTOM row (left-to-right):
top: B,n,n,n
bottom: B,R,n,n

Ready for smoke test?
See you Saturday, I hope.

New firmware (F1.08) should be available ...
to "flash" (write) into your SOC-Meter at our Gathering.
Yes, the red is in the bottom row, 2nd position from left, next to black from display ground.

I can work on it Tuesday, Thursday, and part of Friday, so there is real good chance I can finish before Sat meeting. I work slowly and carefully to achieve best results.

1.3 KW (6 panels) more solar was installed this AM.

Thanks Gary for the nice kit and thorough instructions.

I was able to assemble my kit over the weekend and I am now waiting for the glued display to dry before final assembly. I did test the project once soldered just to make sure things were wired/soldered correctly. It passed with flying colors!

The instructions were thorough and accurate. I would reiterate the previous comment that I did have some initial concern on whether the header connectors were symmetric. Also maybe a little more direction or picture of how the components will be placed in the box for final assembly would be nice.

Gordon

flashgc said:
Thanks Gary for the nice kit and thorough instructions.

I was able to assemble my kit over the weekend and I am now waiting for the glued display to dry before final assembly. I did test the project once soldered just to make sure things were wired/soldered correctly. It passed with flying colors!

Remember that mine went pear-shaped once I got everything stuffed into the box. Make sure to use plenty of electrical tape on the back of the display circuit board! ;)

FYI....it's just been pointed out to me that my pictures show the single row wiring block on EXT2 sitting one pin over from where it's supposed to be (the one end of it is actually sitting over the blank space at the end of EXT2 instead of on the first pin). Please watch out for that, if you're using my pictures as a guide!

I am shooting for the record of longest assembly time :) . I am reporting my progress details to help prepare others who are considering ordering the kit. Today, Thursday, I completed all the drilling and filing.

Fortunately last year I purchased a nice 21st century Sears 12V 3/8" Li-ion drill. It is quite light, enough torque for me, with 2 speed ranges and a light. For this project I did have to go back to Sears for the 9/32" drill size.

I have completed filing out the milled rectangular hole so the display fits in it snugly, and I cut and filed the slot for the cable. I have tested that the buttons and the switches fit in their respective holes, and that the cable snaps into its slot.

Tomorrow I will do a final wiring and soldering check before running the test procedure. If it passes, I will complete the mechanical assembly. I will apply the electrician tape as necessary as advised.

I do have a few more suggestions for clarifying the instructions just a little more. These suggestions refer to rev 8.

C.1.c Carefully fold (a sharp crease) the template on the 4 pairs of double lines where the template goes over the edge (rim) of the box . . .

C.1.f . . . template securely in place. You might want to add tape at the outside corners to keep the template tight. The box has a slight taper, so the sides of the template will not quite close.

C.2.a . . .Check for fit. Use a small file as necessary to remove plastic burrs from the drill holes.

C.2.d . . . that you drilled. You could also cut the slot with diagonal cutters and use a file for final fit.

D.a Install the two push-buttons . . . Just the hex nut outside, and no other hardware inside. Remove and discard the lock washers on the push-buttons to increase the minimal clearance between the switches and the display board. (Is this right ?)

One wants to mount the push-buttons as high up (through the plastic box) as possible, to give a little more clearance between the solder lugs (on the bottom of the switch) and the display card.

So, most likely, no hardware inside on the push-buttons is best.

Friday, Aug 29 was physical assembly day. Orientation confusion proved to make this section challenging and error-prone for me.

First I needed to plug the 6x1 and 4x2 Blocks into the EXT2 Header. It was not completely clear how to orient the processor board so that the Header’s orientation matched that of the wiring diagram, because no pin labels were visible on the board. Gary explained that pins 1 and 2 are labeled on the opposite side of the board. You can see these labels in the lower left corner of the photo below. In the correct orientation, the lettering on the side you plug into (the board’s “bottom” side) is right-side up.

In this photo, the Zener diode looks dangerously close to another connector pin. This has been corrected.

IMG9425-M.jpg

Next I installed the buttons and the switches. The washers on the buttons should be removed to provide a little more clearance on the inside from the display board. For the switches, retain the lock washer for the outside, but discard the keyed flat washer. Be sure the hex nut on the inside is screwed down all the way before mounting each switch to the box, because it is difficult to turn this nut afterwards in the cramped space.

Despite careful study of both the instructions and the wiring diagram, I managed to install both switches upside down, so the toggles point the wrong way. The source of the confusion was that I assumed that when either double-throw switch’s toggle was “up,” its center contact(s) were connected to the “top” contact(s). Actually, the switch action is reversed, so when the toggle is “up,” the bottom contact(s) are connected. In my next post I will submit detailed editing suggestions to help insure no one else makes these mistakes.

While stuffing the computer board, connector, and cable into the box, I broke the connection between the red wire from the Zener diode and the power switch’s center terminal. The Zener diode itself is stiff, and it seems I had soldered it on the “wrong” side of the cable in some sense. Because I didn’t want to start all over with the assembly, I needed to re-solder the connection inside the box, on the other side of the cable, and this proved embarrassingly difficult. I finally managed it late Friday night. I didn’t want to test HTB’s policy on soldering at their tables :) .

For either testing a kit or updating the firmware, Gary applies power to the 2-pin white header in the upper right corner of the photo. It was encouraging to see the display cycle through its test patterns successfully. I liked the safety of doing this first test without the car connected. It validated the processor, display, and button connections, but only connection to the car can validate the cable and switch connections. It would be nice to have a test socket to emulate just enough of the car’s signal levels to give confidence that there are no wiring errors or shorts that could damage the car’s bus, but this might be difficult. When I did plug my unit into my car, it was great to see my battery’s SOC :p .

Gary uses the 10-pin header in the upper left corner of the photo to load firmware updates. This is why he does not need to disturb the packaging.

When replacing the box cover, Gary advises that you first gently turn the little screws backwards until they drop into the threads previously cut into the plastic. Otherwise there is a danger that the metal screws will cut new, weaker threads.

Congrats Tom,
I am pleased that your LEAF and SOC-Meter get along.
I test the ones I build in my LEAF, before and after the assembly.

I just posted a slightly-improved version of the Hole Template (now Rev 1d)
pdf file that now includes the hole diameters and slightly improved labeling,
including which way is "up" for the display. ;)

I hope to get your other suggestions added to the Assembly Instructions
before too long, but right now I have a lot of other urgent things to do.

I had some problems installing the meter in the box. I don't have the wires leading efficiently to where they go which puts stress on the contacts. Worst is the Zener diode which got bent about 135 degrees almost touching the 9-pin housing! I am afraid to bend it back in case it breaks the lead.

The SOC meter works great and the new firmware shows the amps, voltage and power of the battery.

Did you cut BOTH ends of the Zener's leads to about 5/8"
(or less), or did you leave one lead way too long?

You may bend it back, the leads are fairly tough.

If not, slide some of the Black tape in the too-close gap
and I will fix it for you when I next see you.

Looks like I need to add a physical assembly section.

garygid said:
Did you cut BOTH ends of the Zener's leads to about 5/8"
(or less), or did you leave one lead way too long?

You may bend it back, the leads are fairly tough.

If not, slide some of the Black tape in the too-close gap
and I will fix it for you when I next see you.

Looks like I need to add a physical assembly section.
Yes, I did cut the leads down and put some tape between the diode and the the connector already.

Directions that show how to efficiently route the wires would be helpful for us neophytes. It might look like a can of worms but it works!

Received the wheels from tangokilo and will deliver them to you on September 10th. I will be in Costa Mesa all day the 8th as well.

Today I tried a "filter" (a piece of a sheet of red plastic) over a Red SOC-Meter's 4-digit (Red LED) display.

The hope was that the filter would cut down the amount of reflected sunshine, improving the contrast of the display when sunshine falls on it.

Using a reasonably-matched "filter" makes a substantial improvement in sunshine-lit visibility of the 7-segment digits.

Back