SOC-Meter Kit DIY Assembly

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't speak for them, but I know that most of us here would certainly appreciate that! I wouldn't want to take any money out of your pocket though, considering how much time and effort you have invested in this!

garygid said:
Perhaps I can help them a bit?

I now have parts for about 25 SOC-Meter Kits,
so the Kits can ship quickly.
Fully Built and Tested units usually take a few days.
To make things easier, payment via PayPal can be arranged.

garygid said:
The Logging port can be added to an SOC-Meter. I did mine like this:
(assuming you have the needed hardware)

1. Remove the "lid" (back)
2. un-plug the AVR-CAN board (3 places) and set it safely aside.
3. use the newest Hole Template and mark the 6 holes on the Right End of the box with a awl.
4. carefully drill 1/8 inch holes at the six indicated locations, then drill about nine more near the edges of the "D" slot, to aid in cutting out the slot.
5. using an eXacto knife (or similar), cut the plastic to fit the solder-side of the D-connector.
6. solder the 3 wires (one end on each) as shown in the Logging Port Assembly Instructions (posted on-line)
7. shape the wires
8. get all the plastic "chips" out of the box
9. install the D-connector (2 screws and nuts)
10. re-connect the AVR-CAN board
11. insert the 3 Logging Port wires (as shown)
12. check connections, re-insert the AVR-CAN board into the box, and check connections again
13. re-install the lid
14. test the SOC-Meter, then test Logging
15. some UB-to-RS232 adapters will not work well. A GOOD adapter will not produce "garbage" messages.
Thanks, Gary!! I am getting my SOC meter back today--I lent it to a fellow SF BayLEAF for a couple weeks. It was a great confidence builder for him. He was able to make 2 trips to SFO to pick up and drop off guests, while getting an hour charge each time. Made it home with 6 miles to spare (but he didn't say what %charge, LOL). Hopefully I can get some time to install the connector in the next 2 weeks.

garygid said:
Perhaps I can help them a bit?

That's really nice of you to offer your help gary. Do you want me to ask them if they want the help or would you prefer to call or email them yourself? Thanks!

Since you have the established relationship and contact, you can ask them what they need, and if we (or I) can help them in some way.

If they read these threads, they should already know about CAN-Do, and our Logging and Recipes.

We COULD even start a thread here: "ScanGauge-III Collaboration".

However, they might want the interaction to be more "private", and they can PM me, or you can PM me their preferred technical contact information. :D

Brightonuk said:
I would hope that if they do inlist the help of Garygid they may be inclined to offer a discount to members of this forum?

Possibly, but if you already have their ICE version, when they finish the LEAF version, they will exchange it for no cost.

Being made in quantity with a circuit board designed for the job, the ScanGauge II is sold for about $160, a very reasonable price. I have one myself, and I use it on my Prius and other cars. I support their fine efforts.

Our LEAF-specific SOC-Meter Kit uses off-the-shelf components, so it costs more. However, it can do CAN-bus logging of the EV-CAN and Car-CAN buses in the LEAF, and we have made software to support the Logging.

Since a fully-built and tested SOC-Meter is hand-made, it takes time and costs even more, but that is why I have made the Kit (and parts list, with sources) available on this forum to all of you. Really, we are in this "EV Revolution" together, and it will not be an easy journey, since there will be many roadblocks along this "un-popular" path.

By posting new Firmware, and encouraging "flashers" in each LEAF-Branch, we can "evolve" our functions faster. I appreciate all of you who are willing to help others learn and contribute.

I am trying to encourage LLLs (Local LEAF Loggers) who will be able to help other Loggers in their area, and gather more helpful data under conditions I do not have available here.

Yes, we are just beginning a bumpy hundred-year journey!
Welcome Aboard.
Sincerely, Gary Giddings

garygid said:
I am trying to encourage LLLs (Local LEAF Loggers) who will be able to help other Loggers in their area, and gather more helpful data under conditions I do not have available here.

Yes, we are just beginning a bumpy hundred-year journey!
Welcome Aboard.
Exactly! That's why I got mine back. I want to log a 100 mile trip (including hills and bridges) in 3 weeks time. So, I've got to knuckle down and get the connector mod done because I'm not going to have the board out of the case while on the road.
Another good SOC meter experience today. Didn't charge all weekend and knew I'd be close to the bottom with today's commute and errand running. I figure a full charge is good for 85 miles. After my last stop, 4 miles from home, I had no bars and 6 miles of range. Fear not though, as the trusty SOC meter said I was in good shape. Arrived home with 86 miles on the dash, 4 miles range, and 9.9% charge left. I just might be able to squeeze 90 miles out of this car.

The SOC Meter is just repeating a value that it reads from the LEAF.

But, the LEAF probably gets things wrong ("lies") occasionally, so please
BEWARE of possibly (occasionally) misleading (lower) percentage values
that are too optomistic about the useful energy left in the battery.

But, your Logs will be great to see.
Have Fun, Gary

Apparently the "LeafGauge3" prototype uses the ScanGuage2 hardware, slightly modified for the LEAF's EV-CAN bus (with new firmware, of course).

So far, I am told, they just show a % SOC value, but I do not know if it is the same value that we are using.

However, it is a good start, and I/we might be able to help them a bit.

gascant said:
Let us know what features they have (aside from the LCD screen).

All they have right now is the SOC%. When I charge to 80% using the LEAF setting, it only shows 76.8% SOC with the LEAF showing 10 bars. Sometimes it shows the same %, but with nine bars, so it appears this % is fairly close to the SOC chart. It doesn't vary the percentage with the high or lower ambient temps in the garage. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. For those of you that already have the ScanGaugeII, they use the same box. On the screen it says 'LEAF' in the middle at the top and then below that 'SOC = 76.8 %' with a bluish lighted background at night. The narrow cable fits nicely down the side of the console and fits well inside the steering column. The old SGII's background colors could be changed.

Since this new "ScanGauge-for-the-LEAF" will not work with "normal" cars (due to different pins being used for the EV-CAN bus, if nothing else), I suggested that they call it the "LeafGauge". Or, possibly the "ScanGauge-EV" or "ScanLeaf", but that might be too general, since this would be specific to the LEAF, and it MIGHT even be specific to the 2011 LEAF.

IF the LeafGauge uses a different divisor (not 281, but 300), that would explain their readings of 76.8% instead of 82.2% after a Charge-to-80% session.

So, for now, I will assume that the 300 "gids" equals 100% is what they are doing, and thus LEAFfan's somewhat low "soc%" readings are explained.

Next week I will talk with their "technical" guy, and probably find out more, perhaps even give them some useful advice.

garygid said:
So, for now, I will assume that the 300 "gids" equals 100% is what they are doing, and thus LEAFfan's somewhat low "soc%" readings are explained.
Is that a new technical term "gids" ?? We'll have to add that to Wikipedia ;)
The thread reminds me, though, that I need to send you my test drive file zipped.

Finally found some time to work on assembling my meter.

Hit a, very minor, snag. I had Gary cut the hole for the display. Nice rounded corners, straight lines everywhere, much better then I'd ever do. Turns out the display would not fit in the hole. We had rounded corners and a square display. A couple of strokes with a file took care of that. Once the display is installed one will never notice any slips.

I'm also looking at a small change. Instead of hardwiring the OBD cable I am running a short length of cable to a DB15. If I had room on the outside of that project box I'd mount the DB15 there. I've found a ODB to DB15 cable that I'll then use to plug into the car. (The cable that came with the kit will eventually have a DB15 attached also).

Carl

Back