So, owners what range are you getting ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been seeing a few posts on the internet about improvements in the 2013 battery packs, though I know Tony Williams tests showed otherwise, it seems subjectively that range may have improved a little given some of the recent posts.

Can't wait to get my leaf and see for myself

freshleaf said:
Today I drove around 33 miles so far and only used 3 Bars.
Since you have a 2013 you can also select range% on the dash using those same buttons dpcolorado described. It's the next display after the energy display and shows a percentage inside an outline of a battery cell. That's much more accurate than counting bars for seeing how much of your battery you have used. I seem always to hit the first low battery warning at 17%, and the two times so far I got to the 2nd warning were at 8%. These numbers agree well with Tony's range chart for a new battery.

Ray

So few more New numbers on Drive Back to home.

Hwy 90% Streets 10%, Temp 82F, Use AC for 1/5 of the driving to cool it down, Windows closed.
Went as high as 72mph, mostle use ECO, B and few times Neutral.

GOM shows 90 and I drive 27.9 miles and GOM shows 68 at the end.

Energy Economy on Dash Board for this Trip after a Reset = 5.1
From NAV Display Energy info = 4.6 but this was not reset before so that was from miles 177.
Bars used = 3
Battery = 6 bars

I have pics of Readings but dont know yet how to Inserts them.

I put 25,000 miles on my 2012 Nissan Leaf in the last nine months. My trip to work is 108 miles round-trip. I also have to climb over a mountain both ways. If I drive 50 miles an hour or less and dive for all the traffic jams I can do it on one full charge. Generally I drive around 55 and I charge a Blink Quick Charge station in Los Angeles about 10 miles on my trip home with threer bars remaining.
The charging normally takes 23 minutes and is about 1 mile from the freeway and then 1 mile to get back on the freeway. I arrive home with four bars remaining. I usually charge at home until 90% before I start my day. At the quick charge I charge to 90% also. I have not seen any loss in range or charge bars. Thanks to the Blink charging station I am able to drive basically normally to and from work as I did in previously in my Prius which I traded in for my leaf. I love not buying gas.
Don't get me wrong though the Leaf is fun to drive. Often on the last part of my drive home I will tear down the freeway in the diamond lane at 80+. This is a great car.

apvbguy said:
FWIW:
the one drawback to that chart is that it is using a constant speed as it's data point, my speeds vary throughout the trips I take.

That's not correct. The chart is based on ECONOMY * USABLE kWh = RANGE

What you're looking at is a SPECIFIC speed and parameters that equal a particular economy. In the future, I'm going to change to chart to reflect miles/kWh on top, and in smaller font, with the parameters, reflect the speed that reflects that economy.

So, if you're driving around town, I usually got about 4 miles per kWh economy. Speeds all over the place, hills, stop and go, etc. I still got:

4 * 21 = 84 miles range

Notice speed isn't part of the equation?

DougWantsALeaf said:
I have been seeing a few posts on the internet about improvements in the 2013 battery packs, though I know Tony Williams tests showed otherwise, it seems subjectively that range may have improved a little given some of the recent posts.

Me, too !!! Looking forward to your report. I think you'll enjoy the challenge of figuring out how far you can go.

Thanks Tony

Have you done any more range tests since the earlier this year? You got great coverage with your Leaf comparison tests (in terms of range with nearly constant speed 62mph).

TonyWilliams said:
apvbguy said:
FWIW:
the one drawback to that chart is that it is using a constant speed as it's data point, my speeds vary throughout the trips I take.

That's not correct. The chart is based on ECONOMY * USABLE kWh = RANGE

What you're looking at is a SPECIFIC speed and parameters that equal a particular economy. In the future, I'm going to change to chart to reflect miles/kWh on top, and in smaller font, with the parameters, reflect the speed that reflects that economy.

So, if you're driving around town, I usually got about 4 miles per kWh economy. Speeds all over the place, hills, stop and go, etc. I still got:

4 * 21 = 84 miles range

Notice speed isn't part of the equation?

The manual says 2013 SV has 24 kWh. so 21 should be 24 then ? that s why I am gettin almost 110+ range by doing 5.1 kWh. getting lot of regeneration in B mode and if lift the foot of the pedal then sees lots of Green power

freshleaf said:
The manual says 2013 SV has 24 kWh. so 21 should be 24 then ? that s why I am gettin almost 110+ range by doing 5.1 kWh. getting lot of regeneration in B mode and if lift the foot of the pedal then sees lots of Green power
24 kWh total capacity, 21 kWh usable capacity.

21 * 5.1 = 107.1, but since your LEAF is brand new, you might have up to 22 kWh usable right now.

TonyWilliams said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

Me, too !!! Looking forward to your report. I think you'll enjoy the challenge of figuring out how far you can go.

It is very difficult to control all the variables in a LEAF range test.

Many have tried.

And many misleading results have been posted on this forum, and elsewhere.

For the most accurate comparison of 2013 LEAF efficiency and range and the 2011-12 MYs presently available, you might want to consider the EPA test results:

...we have the final ratings for the 2013 Nissan Leaf compact hatchback: It's rated at 115 MPGe, up from the 99 MPGe for 2011 and 2012 models.

MPGe stands for Miles-Per-Gallon-equivalent, and it's a measure of the distance a plug-in electric car can travel on the same amount of energy that's contained in 1 gallon of gasoline.

That 115-MPGe rating is made up of two components: 129 MPGe on the city test, 102 MPGe on the highway cycle. (Nissan had earlier posted a 130-MPGe city rating, but has now corrected its site.)

The 2013 Leaf is also rated at 75 miles of range, up from the 73-mile rating of the 2011 and 2012 models.

Although, as Nissan explained several weeks ago, that rating is deceptive, because it's now an average of the range offered by an 80-percent charge (66 miles) and a 100-percent charge (84 miles).

The 2011-2012 rating of 73 miles was based entirely on a 100-percent charge, so it compares directly to the 84-mile distance--a 15-percent improvement...

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1084193_2013-nissan-leaf-final-ratings-issued-115-mpge-75-miles-of-range" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As posted here:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/evsbs.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you are trying to do your own range tests, the first thing to understand is that the dash m/kWh is the least useful data your LEAF displays, as it demonstrably reflects a constant error in miles driven (in all LEAFs, AFAIK) and a variable error in kWh use (in many or all LEAFs).

DougWantsALeaf said:
Thanks Tony

Have you done any more range tests since the earlier this year? You got great coverage with your Leaf comparison tests (in terms of range with nearly constant speed 62mph).

Well, I've done a series of tests, starting in Phoenix on Sept, 15, 2012. The next test that I'd like to do is this car:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=293189#p293189" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun said:
...If you are trying to do your own range tests, the first thing to understand is that the dash m/kWh is the least useful data your LEAF displays, as it demonstrably reflects a constant error in miles driven (in all LEAFs, AFAIK) and a variable error in kWh use (in many or all LEAFs).
Not true. My dash meter is entirely consistent with my measurements from the wall (within a few percent, a trivial amount by any reasonable standard of utility). Perhaps yours is different.

dgpcolorado said:
edatoakrun said:
...If you are trying to do your own range tests, the first thing to understand is that the dash m/kWh is the least useful data your LEAF displays, as it demonstrably reflects a constant error in miles driven (in all LEAFs, AFAIK) and a variable error in kWh use (in many or all LEAFs).
Not true. My dash meter is entirely consistent with my measurements from the wall (within a few percent, a trivial amount by any reasonable standard of utility). Perhaps yours is different.

Of course, the dash economy reading can be both quite reasonable and significantly at error between any two cars. As we have seen in many, many tests now, there is just no way to know in advance if a car will be "that car" that isn't quite right.

Both of my LEAFs were certainly reasonably accurate. Both 2013 LEAFs we tested were good.

dgpcolorado said:
edatoakrun said:

+1! My 2011's m/kW h dash was really accurate. My 2013's dash m/kW h is EXTREMELY accurate. I can also add that the DTE on my car is EXTREMELY accurate. On relatively flat terrain, Nissan has really improved the DTE gauge.

admittedly, I am a novice still, but the GOM on our leaf has been pretty good about adjusting to our driving, and given my limited range experience seems to be pretty accurate (once it adjusts for say freeway driving once at speed for a mile or two).

DougWantsALeaf said:
admittedly, I am a novice still, but the GOM on our leaf has been pretty good about adjusting to our driving, and given my limited range experience seems to be pretty accurate (once it adjusts for say freeway driving once at speed for a mile or two).

Yes, driving on relatively flat terrain, it is extremely accurate, much more than the '11/'12s. Nissan said they would fix it and they did. I've never seen it at 110 or higher to start like the other one being 130-140.

When we first bought the car and were doing almost exclusively 15-30 miles an hour around town at one point the meter did say 121. But since I have run it on the freeway for 20 or so miles, its been pretty consistently in the mid 90's on a full charge. Given I don't take it above 55 since my tests, I would say that's pretty accurate.

Took delievery 3/29/2011, and now have 29,500 on the odometer. Did a trip yesterday, starting at 100% SOC. After 50 miles, 95% freeway no faster than 60 mph, no A/C, windows up, was depleted into the red zone. Nissan markets this car as a "100 mile EV", but if this is going to be the norm, especially for people who did a purchase vs. lease, Nissan is going to need to fix it. My 2002 RAV 4 EV did much better than this at 30,000 miles. I recall no noticeable range loss on that one until well after 100,000 miles. My hunch is that in a rush to get the Leaf into production and out the door, temperature management for the battery pack was not dealt with appropriately. Perhaps there are a few modules that are in a position not to be cooled effectively by the passive scheme, and some kind of active cooling is really necessary. The old RAV had some huge blowers that would run, but look at the longevity! BTW - this is in coastal San Diego, not Phoenix.

Is Nissan still as quiet as a church mouse on this issue? They can fix it if they want to, but my guess is that they would rather sell entire cars. Good thing mine is on a lease that comes to an end in ten months. Maybe the new RAV4 EV is a better deal, unless the 2014 has some real changes included. I'm a promoter of EV's, believe me, but this is taxing my patience. I started out charging most days to 80%, but with this range loss, can no longer tolerate that.

The problem is that few of us are lucky enough to drive on flat terrain. There is virtually nowhere I go in the range of my Leaf that is flat in my part of the world... So the most accurate DTE meter on the planet would still be worthless for me unless it could take in to account elevation changes...

LEAFfan said:
I can also add that the DTE on my car is EXTREMELY accurate. On relatively flat terrain, Nissan has really improved the DTE gauge.

Back