Portland Oregon Group

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jfsquires said:
Can anyone recommend a good LEAF service department in the Portland metro area? From some of
the complaints I hear from friends, they're not all the same.
I've been going to Wilsonville without any issues. Tire rotations are $15 and include a free wash. They wanted to do the brake fluid flush but I declined and they didn't really push the issue. Free wifi and they have DirecTV in the waiting area.

Does anyone routinely drive up Sylvan Hill in their Leaf? Man it's scary watching your range go down as you go up that hill (although some of that comes back as you go down again). I'm still getting used to how far I can drive the Leaf so I get a little worried about it whenever I go up that hill.

gsleaf said:
Does anyone routinely drive up Sylvan Hill in their Leaf? Man it's scary watching your range go down as you go up that hill (although some of that comes back as you go down again). I'm still getting used to how far I can drive the Leaf so I get a little worried about it whenever I go up that hill.
If you use ECO I think if you look closely when you get a mile or so past the bottom (Cornell out bound/one or two exits on 405 inbound) you see that you lost one more mile of range than you traveled since before the climb. You aren't as efficient as the flat-lands, but you do get some back on the downhill. It's actually highway speed that kills you.

padamson1 said:
If you use ECO I think if you look closely when you get a mile or so past the bottom (Cornell out bound/one or two exits on 405 inbound) you see that you lost one more mile of range than you traveled since before the climb. You aren't as efficient as the flat-lands, but you do get some back on the downhill. It's actually highway speed that kills you.

Hmm, I'll watch that next time I do the trip. I don't think I used ECO mode last time either. Thanks!

I should note that the performance going up the hill is stellar. No issues at all and if you were going to have issues that's the hill that would cause them!

gsleaf said:
Yep, I notice that too, but then quickly remember that I'm going back down the hill in just a minute or so. :D

Did anyone else notice that PlugShare now shows quick charging stations every 25 miles or so from Ashland to Cottage Grove, just south of Eugene? I don't think they are all active yet bit will be soon. The Electric Highway should reach Portland soon. I like the spacing. The closest is around 22 miles while the farthest is about 28 miles apart. You could skip a station and charge up every 50 miles or so on a longer trip and have one in between for safety. The only problem is Nissan only recommends one quick charge per day. That restricts your range. It seems to me as long as your battery temp stays low enough you could QC 2, 3, maybe 4 times in a long day. What do other people think of the QC limit and the usefullness of the electric highway? What would your charging behavior look like on a long trip and how far would you go in a day?

Blackhouse said:
Did anyone else notice that PlugShare now shows quick charging stations every 25 miles or so from Ashland to Cottage Grove, just south of Eugene? I don't think they are all active yet bit will be soon. The Electric Highway should reach Portland soon. I like the spacing. The closest is around 22 miles while the farthest is about 28 miles apart. You could skip a station and charge up every 50 miles or so on a longer trip and have one in between for safety. The only problem is Nissan only recommends one quick charge per day. That restricts your range. It seems to me as long as your battery temp stays low enough you could QC 2, 3, maybe 4 times in a long day. What do other people think of the QC limit and the usefullness of the electric highway? What would your charging behavior look like on a long trip and how far would you go in a day?
It may be like getting X-rayed: Don't do it frivolously, but when the Doc needs to see what's going on, they're worth the risk. If the battery life is more a matter of charge/discharge cycles than simple years of existence, maybe Nissan was worried that their vehicle/battery warranties (which have a set amount of time as a major - if not the only - component) wouldn't hold up if a driver used QC routinely. When the stations fill in (soon, I very much hope) along I-5, I'm going to use my LEAF to visit family and friends in the Puget Sound area several times a year, even though it'll mean driving at an average speed of no better than 40MPH. Hopefully, this coming weekend will be the last time I need to rent an ICE car for the journey; so far, the rental fees are pretty much cancelling out the everyday LEAF operating savings.

we Washingtonians are very jealous of you guys... but happy for you too!!
Inauguration of the West Coast Electric Highway in Southern Oregon
http://westcoastelectrichighway.eventbrite.com/

Is plug share correct, do you really have 10 active DC QC's up and running to play with? DRRROOOOOL! :~)...

I'm not planning on holding back once ours are in place. after using fast chargers a few times and reading up on them, I'm thinking multiple 80% charges should be no big deal on occasion as long as the temp stays good and so far, I've seen almost no effect on battery temp with QCing... probably more of an issue for hot climates?

"GaslessInSeattle"]we Washingtonians are very jealous of you guys... but happy for you too!!
Inauguration of the West Coast Electric Highway in Southern Oregon
http://westcoastelectrichighway.eventbrite.com/

Is plug share correct, do you really have 10 active DC QC's up and running to play with? DRRROOOOOL! :~)...

When I check PS, seems the DCs are all inactive or unknown, in S Oregon.

If any one sees any live ones, please post.

Isn't there a grand opening ceremony at Central Point tomorrow?

Hope that means the DC will be turned on, there, at least.

if you look on Recargo, there are check-ins popping up. it appears that all 8 level 3 chargers in Southern Oregon (Ashland to Cottage Grove) are now operational.

solardude said:
if you look on Recargo, there are check-ins popping up. it appears that all 8 level 3 chargers in Southern Oregon (Ashland to Cottage Grove) are now operational.

Actually, when I check the 5 most southern sites, on recargo, it's not clear to me whether the DC chargers, and not just the L2's, are operational, at all or most.

If you visit, and post, on results on recargo, or other sites, Please report details of DC use , and not just "charge successfully", or other ambiguous report.

All free, and first-come-first-served? Do any of these DCs require registration, take reservations, fees, or are in locations where the DC is likely to be ICED or PHEVd, etc?

Looking at Central Point, the site design is, IMO, less than ideal.

http://www.recargo.com/sites/3107" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I posted previously, is it not obvious, that a $20-$50,000 DC fast charger, should have a dedicated space for short-term parking, and not have a L2 placed right next to it, inviting it's disability, by a DC incapable vehicle, seeking a L2, long-term charge????

PS-Ashland does show a DC Charge, thanks for the photo, "OL"

http://www.recargo.com/system/site_photos/2455/big/recargo52270057956039.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun said:
All free, and first-come-first-served? Do any of these DCs require registration, take reservations, fees, or are in locations where the DC is likely to be ICED or PHEVd, etc?
The stations are currently first-come, first-serve but will eventually allow for reservation. There is no fee to use the stations, however until AeroVironment comes out with their "card" you'll need to call them to activate the machines. All charging locations are marked as EV Charging Only so they aren't ICE'd.

DarkStar said:
All charging locations are marked as EV Charging Only so they aren't ICE'd.

Thanks for the info.

I'm actually, more concerned about getting there, and finding the DCs PHEVd (when there are more of them, in the future)
by car(s) plugged into, and/or waiting for, the L2s.

I live about halfway between the (proposed) Bay Area. and southern Oregon DC sites, and it looks like my first DC charge, may be up north, as soon as schedule/weather permits a trip.

The first 150-200 miles, until I reach Ashland, will take a while...

DaveinOlyWA said:
Wow like if they are occupied, wait 30 minutes and take your turn.

Asst least you have that option

My concern is that a the driver of a DC incapable vehicle, will decide to park in front of the DC, to do a level 2 charge, or to "wait their turn" for the L2, being used by another parked vehicle.

So that wait could be more like 6 hours, or even longer, if they decide to spend the night nearby, and are in no hurry...

Will the DC cord reach the other "EV only" space, at all of these chargers?

Proper signage should help, but, IMO, charge station design should exclude all "attractive nuisances", encouraging any non-DC-charging vehicle, to park in a DC charger blocking space.

Is there any rational reason not to put the L2s 10 feet away, beyond charge cord range?

i agree having both charging stations that close does suck. if each station could access 2 spots (preferably 4) then it would be easy to "queue" up the cars but i dont anticipate a line anytime soon

DaveinOlyWA said:
i agree having both charging stations that close does suck. if each station could access 2 spots (preferably 4) then it would be easy to "queue" up the cars but i dont anticipate a line anytime soon

From the PNW thread, a few days back:

...This afternoon, a co-worker walked by the QC here in Bellingham and there was a guy charging his Plug in Prius on the L2 charger but parked in front of the QC...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=620&start=1070" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only 1 or 2 PHEVs, could ruin your whole (DC) day.

And pretty soon, I expect that there will be thousands of them, on the I-5.

Hi All,
When's the next LEAF-Gathering?

I have a friend (Brian) in Hillsboro (97123, 10 miles West of Portland) who would like to observe QC, and carefully measure the connectors.

Perhaps somebody in the area has not yet tried their LEAF's QC port?
Do you know if it even works?

With the new QC stations South on I-5, how close is the one nearest to Portland (that is working)?

If you want an excuse to try your QC (warning, it is addictive), maybe Brian could meet you and possibly ride along?

PM me if you're up for it.
Thanks, Gary

garygid said:
With the new QC stations South on I-5, how close is the one nearest to Portland (that is working)?
I assume you know that there are two QC's in Portland (at PSU and the Hollywood Fred Meyer), unfortunately they seem to be inoperable more often than not. However either would seem more practical for your Hillsboro buddy.

Back