Portland Oregon Group

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking for a ride back from Portland after driving Tony's Leaf the Seattle to Portland leg of it's return home. If there is anyone from Portland who is interested in contributing to this historic Baja to British Columbia EV marathon by taking a trek up north on or around June 23rd to get me back home, let me know... I will have just done all the QC's between Seattle and Portland so it should be a synch getting to Seattle. Or if you know of anyone in Seattle or inbetween who is willing to participate with me, that could work too. PM me or respond here.

I will be receiving Tony's LEAF from GaslessInSeattle at Portland's Amtrak station, at 15:40 (if the train is on time) and would like to get a head-start going south. This will happen either Saturday 6/23 or Sunday 6/24. Is someone around the Eugene area able & willing to put me up overnite at their home, ideally with L2 charging, but not critically req'd ?

Update: Sunday 6/24 Amtrak has been confirmed.

GaslessInSeattle said:
I'm looking for a ride back from Portland after driving Tony's Leaf the Seattle to Portland leg of it's return home. If there is anyone from Portland who is interested in contributing to this historic Baja to British Columbia EV marathon by taking a trek up north on or around June 23rd to get me back home, let me know... I will have just done all the QC's between Seattle and Portland so it should be a synch getting to Seattle. Or if you know of anyone in Seattle or inbetween who is willing to participate with me, that could work too. PM me or respond here.

Is the Kelso, Washington DC going to be up by then? Or do you plan for L2 in Kelso?

Edit: I meant Kelso, Washington QC. Washington DC is a bit farther than I would like to take my Leaf.

camasleaf said:
GaslessInSeattle said:

Is the Kelso, Washington DC going to be up by then? Or do you plan for L2 in Kelso?

hehehe... we might have to change that designation!!

Ridgefield has a QC so Centralia to Ridefield is quite doable with some slower driving.

camasleaf said:
GaslessInSeattle said:

Edit: I meant Kelso, Washington QC. Washington DC is a bit farther than I would like to take my Leaf.

camasleaf said:
In their forum Blink says Wood Village Walmart QC will be online "mid June" :D . Looking forward to it.

Stopped by this morning. It was powered up, an a message on the screen said it will be operational Saturday 12:00 AM. Both spots were not ICEd.

It is a setup were the two EV spots are front to front, not side to side. You will need to park really close to the curve. The cable is short, and if you park in the center of the parking spot, the connector will not reach. I will be still happy to see it up an running.

woodvillagewalmartview.jpg
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Up and running. The other side was ... CARTed. When I came out of the store, there was blue Leaf connected to the other side. I stopped mine and the charger switched to the other car, as expected.

woodvillagewalmartcharg.jpg
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

EV Live!

EV Drivers of Oregon & Washington, you are invited to attend "EV Live" on June 23rd in Portland Oregon. This is part of the eGrandPrix (http://www.evlive.egrandprix.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

A big part of the event is an EV Cruise-in where folks can display their EVs and have a show of force of local EVs.

There will be an EV ride and drive event with electric motorcycles, cars, & trucks.

EV Live runs from 10AM till 4:30 on Saturday June 23 at Portland International Raceway (PIR). You are welcome to arrive at your convenience. The first electric motorcycle practice will take place at 10:50. The event is on the South Pits parking lot. There will be signs to follow once you arrive at PIR.

We're still ironing out the details for lunchtime activities, but we'll likely include a parade lap for EVs on the track.

Some level 1 and level 2 charging is available and there are charging stations at the Expo Center nearby. There will be a Tesla charger as well (courtesy of John Wayland). The Ride & Drive vehicles will have priority at the level 2 stations. We can arrange rides to shuttle you to and from the Expo Center if you charge up there. There is some room for trailers and tow vehicles available too if you need to haul your EV there.

Gate fee is $10, age 12 and under free. If you come and go there are bracelets/hand stamps to allow re-entry. There is no restriction to when you can arrive or leave.

I'll see you there.

Quick update for the DC Quick Charger at Fred Meyer off of Cornelius Pass Road & Hwy 26. It appears they've buttoned everything up and the location is waiting for signage and final inspections. We'll keep you posted!

For those feeling withdrawal, you can pop more popcorn and start tracking Tony's car again around 6:30 AM tomorrow/Sunday morning as it begins it's long journey back to Southern California. We'll be starting from Shoreline WA and trading off in Portland around 3pm. If all goes well, we should be rolling into Portland early. We'll be charging at the QC on the Electric Avenue if anyone in the Portland area wants to come say hello!

I'll be tracking battery temp, ambient temp, and all that good stuff.

DarkStar said:
Quick update for the DC Quick Charger at Fred Meyer off of Cornelius Pass Road & Hwy 26. It appears they've buttoned everything up and the location is waiting for signage and final inspections. We'll keep you posted!

Blink says that the Hillsboro Fred Meyer DCFC will be online by Wednesday, July 4th :D

camasleaf said:
DarkStar said:

Blink says that the Hillsboro Fred Meyer DCFC will be online by Wednesday, July 4th :D
Supposedly the Level 2 unit is online, however when I stopped by on Tuesday all the spots were ICEd. I don't really blame them though since there is no signage yet. I'll stop by on the 3rd and check things out!

gsleaf said:
Is anyone going to the Washington Square Tesla store opening this Friday (7/20) morning at 10AM?
I'll probably drop by on my way home from work that evening to check things out. I know they're doing an invite-only event for Tesla owners and Model S pre-order customers on Friday, but I'm not sure at what time.

Did anybody try to reach the Timberline Lodge? I am just wondering if 80% charge at the Sandy Fred Meyer DCQC will be enough for round trip or I will need 100%.

I would charge to 100%. That is a lot of elevation to gain from Sandy to Timberline Lodge. Here is my trip report from 1/22/12 on the other side of Mt. Hood. I was driving the LEAF to both Mt. Hood Meadows parking lots this winter & always arrived with 2-4 bars and only used 1-2 bars coming home. I have been working with the sustainability director to try to get them to install L2 there. Have a great trip to Timberline, let us know how it goes.

1/22/12. Mt. Hood, Oregon hill climb today, 3736' up. I did 100% charge with preheat ending with to 1.5-2 bars left (19 on the GOM) from 30-24 degree temperatures, all on snow, total miles was 52.2. I started in Odell, OR, 725' elevation and went up to Teacup Lake Nordic ski area to cross country ski, 4461'. I drove between 35-50 mph going up and got there with four bars remaining and 13 miles on the GOM. I have 17 lb. wheels, with General Altimax Artic, siped and studded tires filled to recommended psi. I coasted back down the mountain, reaching up to 53 mph at times, but mainly was going about 40-45 mph. I used my heated seats, and only used the defrost at 60 degrees when the windshield needed it, both ways. Fun experiment. We have had snow and ice since last Wednesday and this car performs very well with the low center of gravity, traction motor, and studs. I could not be happier with the handling of the LEAF in this winter weather.

Back