Poll : $100 a month replacement offer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your reaction to the about $100 a month replacement offer ?

• I like the rental deal

Votes: 20 5.6%
  • I don't mind a rental deal, but need more details

Votes: 57 16.0%
  • I don't mind a rental deal, but need an exit price

Votes: 60 16.8%
  • I don't want a rental deal, I want a buy price

Votes: 198 55.5%
  • I'm going back to ICE !

Votes: 22 6.2%

• Total voters
It is a bit annoying that the insurance will cost about 1/2 of the cost of leasing a new LEAF these days. The economics just don't make sense for the owner.

Cinnabar said:
It is a bit annoying that the insurance will cost about 1/2 of the cost of leasing a new LEAF these days. The economics just don't make sense for the owner.

If it's any comfort, Volt insurance is about the same (or at least it was for me). In CA, I think you have to drive an old clunker to get a half-way cheap insurance premium.

In the UK there are insurance group tables, so you can see what group a certain car will be in before you buy it. It's gives you a rough idea of how expensive it might be to insure. For example, a Chevy Spark (ICE version) is a Group 1 car in the UK, and thus (theoretically) amongst the cheapest to insure. The Volt and the LEAF are both Group 22, so around the middle of the road. Groups go to 50, and group 50 features mostly premium sedans and SUVs. Anything like that over here?

Here is a table of the cars in Group 22. As you can see (especially if you check some of the other groups), there is not a lot of rhyme or reason to any of it:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/insurance/car-insurance-groups/?ig=22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At first I, too, thought he was talking about vehicle insurance... But now I believe he may have been referring to the $100 a month Nissan battery insurance plan...

mwalsh said:
Cinnabar said:
If it's any comfort, Volt insurance is about the same (or at least it was for me). In CA, I think you have to drive an old clunker to get a half-way cheap insurance premium.

I'm hoping that in 7 to 10 years I can pull into a Pepboys and change my whole LEAF battery for $1295.00 installed! LOL

Lasareath said:
I'm hoping that in 7 to 10 years I can pull into a Pepboys and change my whole LEAF battery for $1295.00 installed! LOL
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Even $2495 is a bit unrealistic :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Speaking of which...we've wondered out loud what would happen if we were to quit paying the $100 a month rental fee. Repossession? Remote termination of the pack's ability to charge?

Well, for the Renault Zoe, it appears they might have chosen the latter:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20131108/09350825182/renault-introduces-drm-cars.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mwalsh said:
Speaking of which...we've wondered out loud what would happen if we were to quit paying the $100 a month rental fee. Repossession? Remote termination of the pack's ability to charge?

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20131108/09350825182/renault-introduces-drm-cars.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scary

mwalsh said:
Remote termination of the pack's ability to charge?

And how would the car get this termination notice? Carwings, perhaps?

Ah, so reliable. I'm just thrilled. Would it be as simple as just turning it off, or not pushing the "OK"? Amusing.

dm33 said:
mwalsh said:

Scary

1-800-litigat(e)

if they dont offer a reasonable buy option to folks who bought the car before they SYB program was announced.

mwalsh said:
Just unplug the antenna on the car before you quit making payments.

Vehicles use the majority of OIL, over 50% . Read fact below.

When we import the OIL is cost our country about $8-10 a gallon.

It takes more electricity to refine OIL into gas than driving on that electricity.

A gallon of gas burned in a car is only 15% efficient, (85% wated) Weighs 9 lbs and makes 20 lbs of pollution by combining with good clean oxygen and making deadly carbon monoxide, dioxide etc !

FACT=
A barrel of crude contains 42 gallons. Each barrel yields about 19.15 gallons of gasoline. So roughly half.a barrel makes these percentages of products that are made from 44 gallons of crude oil for 2007: 19.15% gasoline; 9.21 % diesel fuel; 1.75% other distillates (heating oil); 1.76% heavy fuel oil (residual); 3.82% jet fuel; 1.72% liquefied petroleum gas (LPG); and 7.27% other products.

TomT said:
The problem with that whole argument is that it is overly simplistic and petroleum is used for SO many other things than gasoline that, even if every gas car disappeared today, we would still be heavily dependent on it, even just to manufacture the EV gas vehicle replacements and components...

jstack6 said:
...It takes more electricity to refine OIL into gas than driving on that electricity...
This is not true. While it takes quite a bit of energy to refine oil into gasoline, much of it comes from natural gas, co-generation, and the burning of components of the crude oil. Some time ago someone took that energy number, expressed in kWh, and assumed, incorrectly, that it was the electricity input into the process. Not so.

The DOE is funding a program named JCESR that has goals to provide batteries within 4 more years that are 1/5th the current cost of Lithium Cells, and with 5 times the energy density. I think the after market will provide replacement batteries for the Leaf that will meet these goals sometime within the next 4 years.

The last place I consider buying parts is at a Dealer and the last company I would give control of my car would be a car maker. This is exactly what you do when you agree to buy a car and then rent the battery from the same monopolistic source. I like competition and believe it keeps prices within bounds. Have you ever thought about this being very close to the same as renting the gas tank in your ICE car from the dealer and if he wants to shut you down, He reprocesses the tank?

Link to JCESR: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEHs3X75IDo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately, your "facts" are simply wrong...

jstack6 said:
Vehicles use the majority of OIL, over 50% . Read fact below.

When we import the OIL is cost our country about $8-10 a gallon.

It takes more electricity to refine OIL into gas than driving on that electricity.

A gallon of gas burned in a car is only 15% efficient, (85% wated)

It's not legal in this country to sell a new car that doesn't run. This is what stopped the battery lease and the battery swap plans. Apparently, it may be legal to sell you a car and then get the battery back later somehow. What's "later"? Three days? Let the battery swap plans resume!

What this has to do with distilling petroleum, I have no idea.

I stand with a majority here which may or may not reflect the larger owner community I suppose with all the leasing deals; we bought not leased our '12 in Dec '11 and would hope to keep it a long time and simply purchase a battery when the range dropped to no longer being useful as a commuter car. Perhaps at this point its wishful thinking but we'll see when the time comes -- we live in a moderate not hot climate and at almost two years, no battery degradation and have close to only 18K miles so have quite a ways to go before we should have to start thinking about it ...

Back