Poll : $100 a month replacement offer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your reaction to the about $100 a month replacement offer ?

• I like the rental deal

Votes: 20 5.6%
  • I don't mind a rental deal, but need more details

Votes: 57 16.0%
  • I don't mind a rental deal, but need an exit price

Votes: 60 16.8%
  • I don't want a rental deal, I want a buy price

Votes: 198 55.5%
  • I'm going back to ICE !

Votes: 22 6.2%

• Total voters
I drive over 15,000 miles per year. I want my next car to be an EV, but I don't want to lease it. I want to own it, drive the wheels off of it, and then get rid of it. If I'm going to drive the car for 15 years, I'm going to probably need a replacement battery- but I don't want to be tied to a mileage limit (that would be like being stuck in a lease), and I don't want to have to deal with all the complexities involved with terminating the rental.

With that in mind, it's very simple:
I cannot consider Nissan as an option if they are not willing to release replacement battery cost. That sucks, because I really do love my LEAF.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Rondawg and Daveinoly all valid points but my capacity to make poor personal financial choices for a cause is not without limits.

well, I think we all agree that Nissan's decision needs to be examined as there are parts I will find hard to accept and its not a perfect solution for sure. What I am hoping is Nissan either goes with unlimited mileage on the lease like Honda or at least offers a 20,000 mile/year option. 15,000 is proving to be way too short of what I need despite having an extra 4,000 miles this year due to carry over from the first two years.

+1[/quote]+3[/quote]+4[/quote]

+5 and they can stick that warranty joke plan where the sun don't shine.

Ian B[/quote]

+6
Bought my Nissan in 2011 hoping replacement will be supported. Nissan lost touch my resale values just went down the tube! Nissan buy my car back and I take your new lease deal instead of leasing me a battery at $100 month.

klapauzius said:
Again, I could understand Nissans positions NOT to commit to numbers right now, but a statement along the lines of

"We will offer a replacement battery for sale in the future and will pay a fair market value for the used OEM battery in exchange" would give me some piece of mind.
+1. It may be 6 more years before I have to replace the battery, and I recognize that no one has a crystal ball to predict accurately what the state of battery technology will be at that time, or how Nissan's approach to this problem might change by then, so I don't really know what to think about this announcement. But I will say that it feels like a big kick in my gut right now. Their recent actions have not helped instill any confidence in their support for early adopters who purchased the car for long-term usage rather than leasing. If this information had been available in 2011, my decision to buy vs. lease would have been very different. But that can also be said about the other information we were fed by Nissan regarding battery degradation, which has changed so radically since 2010-2011 (from losing 30% capacity in 10 years to losing 30% in 5 years!) At this point, I am not sure I could believe anything that Nissan says anymore, so what's the point of any reassuring statement like that anyway? I feel totally betrayed as a customer at this point. All I can do is hope that time heals the wound and provides an aftermarket solution for my desire to keep this car for 20 years.

TT

I see I voted with the majority :) They promised a price; they did not give us one. I took that survey, carefully answered the cost-of-battery questions. I guess they did ask about a lease deal, but I guess I answered "probably not interested" and I didn't pay close attention to those numbers.

There may come a time when I need to do something about the battery, but that is a ways off. The only thing I want to know is what something like that costs. THEN I can consider alternatives. Not until. Everything else is currently off my radar.

Unfortunately for me, I am in that early adopter crowd, a disposable demographic in the eyes of Nissan. I drive an EV because it is the coolest ride I can get, and I confess I would do any number of stupid things in order to have that.

I look at everything simply. And this is what should have happened:
- Announce a price.
- LET US DECIDE that it's too much money. Don't help us by "protecting us from fright".
- Then announce, "or, you can have this lease deal..."
- Everything would follow as intended, except we wouldn't be sitting here spewing off reams of comments and adding to our lists of how Nissan doesn't understand what we want. And they wouldn't have to sell batteries because no one would pay that much for them. And even if they did, how would that hurt?

I generally don't do math, but...

"About $100": Does anyone think that later this year (Dec 31, of course) they will come back and say, "Surprise! The lease is only $89 per month!" Me, neither. There are countless examples (Tesla S for "about $50,000") of how those estimates "grow", so I'm expecting at least $129 per month, and I am a great underestimator.

"$12,000 for a battery or worse": So be it, but, if I have to give up the battery I bought and paid for, I'm thinking a 70% battery might be worth half its original value. So, I just hand over 6 thousand dollars worth of hardware, and when the lease terminates, my car has NO battery? That won't help its resale value much :D

I voted back to ICE. I own the LEAF free and clear and have 10 months to go until my CVRP commitment is satisfied. My best guess is I will replace the LEAF with an EREV or go back to a hybrid in 10 months. My best guess is that Nissan will not provide an option for me to replace the LEAF battery I own in the car I own with a new battery that I own.

I like to own my cars and drive them for about 7-8 years/120,000 miles. I always expected to replace the LEAF battery to get 7-8 years of use. I was not expecting the range of the car to be so much less than the 100 miles that was promoted. I was not aware that I could only use 80% of the battery capacity to get longer battery life. The reality of BEV ownership has been disappointing for me, and I am ready to step aside and watch where things go.

I suspect this battery rental scheme is accounting methods that allows a company that manufactures batteries to shift corporate tax burden back to citizens by claiming business loss on depreciated rented batteries. They can claim the battery cost is whatever outrageous number they want for tax purposes and then depreciate down to 0 in a few years. This scheme falls apart the minute they make a cost public.

Randmac said:
I suspect this battery rental scheme is accounting methods that allows a company that manufactures batteries to shift corporate tax burden back to citizens by claiming business loss on depreciated rented batteries. They can claim the battery cost is whatever outrageous number they want for tax purposes and then depreciate down to 0 in a few years. This scheme falls apart the minute they make a cost public.
You might be right about this.
But I'm not going back to ICE.
In trying to be fair about the Nissan LEAF, we probably are better off than the people with electric conversions.
Great car, better than many conversions. Less cost. A major OEM dealer network to service it.
But wait the electric conversion owner can buy a replacement battery, and has a variety of suppliers for all replacement parts, including electronics / motor.
Nissan LEAF owner can't buy a battery.
Maybe we aren't better off. :eek: :shock: :? :eek: :shock: :?

I may never need to replace my battery during my ownership of my Leaf, but I want the option to do so without any other encumberance against the vehicle (permanent rental, etc).

+1+3+4

Ian B

+6
Bought my Nissan in 2011 hoping replacement will be supported. Nissan lost touch my resale values just went down the tube! Nissan buy my car back and I take your new lease deal instead of leasing me a battery at $100 month.

Wow! So the consensus here is that Nissan will never offer a replacement pack for purchase? I suspect they WILL at some point.. right now that replacement cost is just too high to publish. Nissan doesn't want headlines like "Nissan announces Leaf battery replacement cost at $12,000" (or similar) for a large variety of reasons. The lease offer was probably an attempt to further delay publishing a real number. Seems to have backfired, but I can't blame them for trying. If you're waiting for ANY manufacturer to announce a $5000 EV battery replacement I believe you'll be waiting a while.

where is the "I don't care" option?

I'm a low mileage driver in a cold-ish (NH) climate. I don't ever anticipate replacing the battery. In fact, i'm kinda figuring it will be a good car for my daughter to drive to high school (she's 5 now...)

All that being said, I'd much rather have the cash price (both with and without core charge).

GregH said:
+1+3+4

Ian B

+6

Wow! So the consensus here is that Nissan will never offer a replacement pack for purchase? I suspect they WILL at some point.. right now that replacement cost is just too high to publish. Nissan doesn't want headlines like "Nissan announces Leaf battery replacement cost at $12,000" (or similar) for a large variety of reasons. The lease offer was probably an attempt to further delay publishing a real number. Seems to have backfired, but I can't blame them for trying. If you're waiting for ANY manufacturer to announce a $5000 EV battery replacement I believe you'll be waiting a while.

$12000 for a new battery would be as good as the current "rental deal", even assuming very conservatively that the degraded pack had a residual value of only $2k. This is assuming 8 Years to go from 100% to 70%.

Back