Ordering 2012 model today

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kmp647 said:
it seems our 10 day lead on the general public is being burned :oops:
Well, it is not the # of days that matter - just your place in the queue.

BTW, if anyone remembers, even the first time in Aug, the ordering started a couple of days later than originally announced. But this time it looks like an un-announced delay.

Yup , it will get fixed and they will be building 2012's soon if not already.

Won't be too long from here

I figure 2nd week of October to 1st week November latest for deliveries to start

kmp647 said:
This didn't happen on the may 1st orders?

Why is it happening now?

Nothing really changed with the May orders. Looks like they're having trouble getting all the Tier 2 dealers in the system. Or something...

kmp647 said:
Yup , it will get fixed and they will be building 2012's soon if not already.

Some blog (didn't hear it from Nissan directly so take it for what its worth) reported that Nissan would start building the 2012 model starting after Labor Day.

See, this is what Nissan gets for firing Magnet International and deciding to do their site in-house! :p

Still no news on when the dashboards will be fixed.

Laura: I'm Sorry for this inconvenience, at this time we have no new information on when the website will be fixed. We are hopeful that this issue will be resolved today. I can give you a call once the website is back up if you would like.

Wow, this must be some serious issue. As a SW guy myself, I really wonder what's gone so wrong here. After all, the system WAS tested: by live users in the first wave states - all they should have had to do is update the dealer-specific data. Unless they changed some other logic in response to issues encountered in the first wave and then didn't retest?

For those of you on Twitter, I'd like to encourage y'all to use a new #Tag I've coined to get the message across to Nissan that we're royally cheesed off: #LEAFAssessmentBug

Let's get that #Tag to go postal everyone! I wanna see it Everywhere until this problem's fixed!

I wonder if there's a #Tag equivalent on Google+? Suffix+?

the lack of urgency is just incredible.

I still cant imagine what could possibly be wrong here?

those of you who know programming and website stuff , what do you think?

it would seem someone key is on vacation? or the whole company that does this is out?

server down? power outage, data loss ?

imagine if the amazon site was down , what would be done to fix it

they would have evryone in the company working at a solution

they would get it running even if they had to pedal bike to make electricity !

Not knowing the symptoms, since I am in a wave FIVE state, I couldn't even guess. It would seem that any professional programmer would have a test area to make sure his/her changes worked correctly. I do unit testing on the stuff I change and then it goes to a group of people who's job it is to see if they can break my code. Only then when it is thoroughly tested does it go to production.

Even knowing the symptoms, a programmer would need to know something about the system to have any clue about what is wrong. If Nissan has changed suppliers for the web site software perhaps that is why it is taking time to correct it.

oh I bet thats it , they prob had a contract that ended and had to switchg support

the new people they hired are trying their best but cant getr it straightened out?

is this possible explanation?

kmp647 said:
the lack of urgency is just incredible.

I still cant imagine what could possibly be wrong here?

those of you who know programming and website stuff , what do you think?

it would seem someone key is on vacation? or the whole company that does this is out?

server down? power outage, data loss ?

imagine if the amazon site was down , what would be done to fix it

they would have evryone in the company working at a solution

they would get it running even if they had to pedal bike to make electricity !
The standard way to make a change to a website is to have a second, internal server with the beta testers hammering it and when it's ready to go live, you switch the domain to the beta server (or take the primary server down and dump-copy beta server to it). Then, when it goes live, you keep your IT staff late so that if there are still bugs, you quash them ASAP.

My guess is it's a) a database issue (at the schema level, which are usually the hardest to repair) and b) a manager who said Well done guys! Now, go take a vacation!. I bet he had pointy hair too! :)

kmp647 said:
oh I bet thats it , they prob had a contract that ended and had to switchg support

the new people they hired are trying their best but cant getr it straightened out?

is this possible explanation?

In the general sense, yes, this is possible. In the practical sense, it's unlikely they'd have switch mid-stream since they already cancelled their contract with Magnet years ago. They may still be farming the work out to a cut-rate web design firm, but the Magnet cancellation was years ago so it wasn't that per se.

Good news: I got a call from CS saying the site is fixed.

Bad news: Looks like my assessment waiver is disabled again, so I'll have to call back to ask them to re-enable it.

Worse news: I cannot get an informal quote from any local dealers that is anywhere near MSRP. Still calling around though.

I'm getting angry

2012 LEAF: Sloppy Seconds? said:
As my regular readers know, I'm usually trying to put a positive spin on a number of things, but every so often, I feel the need to get nasty and I think with the constant delay visa vi ordering of the 2012 Nissan LEAF, I can't help but ponder a bit the changes between this model year car and the previous one.

I've already reported that the price difference between the 2011 and 2012 model years is $1,490 for the base SV trim and $1,900 for the base SL trim and I stand by that. Any site which exaggerates this price difference is likely to get a comment from me seeking to rectify the situation since I'm all about the truth.

After all, you're getting a complimentary Cold Weather Package with that cost increase, and the TEPCO plug on the SL trim, so a lot of the cost is just those items carried over from the previous model year as standard. Then again, how useful is the Cold Weather Trim in Florida?

But what else is new in the 2012 LEAF? Did they add the 6.6kW charger option? No, not even as an option! Have they made improvements to the batteries or the charge capacity? No. Have they improved the Software? Yes, but 2011 drivers are getting that update for free. Have they improved the motor or the aerodynamic? Have they added a new audio or driving comfort option? No, apart from what's already included in the Cold Weather Package. The Cold Weather Package isn't even exclusive to the 2012 LEAF: it was an option the 2011 LEAF late in the model year.

So what do you get for your $1,490 - $1,900 in new model year premiums? Nothing! You don't get anything for this cost increase. If you're in the original Tier 2 states of AL, DC, FL, GA, MD, NC, SC and VA:
  • not only was your ordering window delayed by 7 months and now 4 more days
  • not only were you kept in the dark about Nissan's plans for Tier 2
  • not only were you forced to listen to Nissan rant and rave about how great a car the LEAF is even though you couldn't (easily) buy it
  • not only were you still denied the long sought after 6.6kW charging option that the Ford Focus Electric is beating the LEAF's ass on
  • not only were you denied the color Green, a natural for a car called LEAF
  • not only were you given the same set of Port Options / Accessories as 2011
Not only all of that, but you're also going to have to pay about 5% more for it.

Thanks a lot, Nissan!

Originally, I was all in favor of those of us in Tier 2 getting first pick of the brand-spanking-new 2012 model year under the assumption that it would be an improvement, all be it a slight improvement, over the 2011 as a reward for braking their commitment and forcing us to wait an extra half-year to order the car we've been pining for since at least 20 April 2010. Now I say, bring me the Smyrna 2013!

After all, you're getting a complimentary Cold Weather Package with that cost increase, and the TEPCO plug on the SL trim, so a lot of the cost is just those items carried over from the previous model year as standard. Then again, how useful is the Cold Weather Trim in Florida?
You know, I'd love to get that cold weather package (for the heated seats etc) - but can't.

me too :cool: heated seats are a must here, and a heated wheel !

I love to be able to buy nissans $38,000 car , but I cant

the website wont let me :|

help

Back