Ordering 2012 model today

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TimeHorse said:
Well, like I said, I ordered Red and have a VIN. 5061. I guess that means five thousand, sixty-one people got their LEAF before me, grumble. :)

But anyway, I doubt it's the color in this case since you and I are going for the same, Cayanne Red.

I miss my Dashboard, even if it's nice having a car on my owner's portal. In 2 months though it won't matter because even if I don't take the car, I'll simply use my other Dashboard account to order a 2013 LEAF.

So why wouldn't you take the 2012 Leaf, and wait for the 2013 Leaf? just the upgrade from the 3.3KW to the 6.6KW charger? You realize there is also likely to be another price increase along with that. I know you have that Monster CC-100 EVSE, you are just itching to use :)

mitch672 said:
TimeHorse said:
Well, like I said, I ordered Red and have a VIN. 5061. I guess that means five thousand, sixty-one people got their LEAF before me, grumble. :)

But anyway, I doubt it's the color in this case since you and I are going for the same, Cayanne Red.

I miss my Dashboard, even if it's nice having a car on my owner's portal. In 2 months though it won't matter because even if I don't take the car, I'll simply use my other Dashboard account to order a 2013 LEAF.

So why wouldn't you take the 2012 Leaf, and wait for the 2013 Leaf? just the upgrade from the 3.3KW to the 6.6KW charger? You realize there is also likely to be another price increase along with that. I know you have that Monster CC-100 EVSE, you are just itching to use :)

A price increase is indeed possible, but the current price increase of $1,900 is largely attributed to the exchange rate and when the car is made in Smyrna there's both less transportation for the car and no major currency exchange. It will be a lot cheaper to produce and it's likely the invoice will decrease to the dealers because of it. They might try and shaft us by edging it closer to a Tesla Model S, but they might lower it to compete with the iMev too. Hard to say.

Anyway, I'm still ambivalent. November will be a fun surprise.

travisty said:
WOOOT finally! My order's in here in Colorado - well actually waiting for my dealer because this is their first Leaf - but it should all be done in the next few hours. Now just need to wait a few months for my Leaf :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D
I did an RAQ with the only dealer near me (Durango) and they came in well over MSRP. I hope that you have better luck and that you have several dealers in the Front Range to choose from. The quote I got was more than $2600 higher than my earlier order in Oregon for the same model/accessories; I guess I'll be getting mine in Oregon as planned.

dgpcolorado said:
I did an RAQ with the only dealer near me (Durango) and they came in well over MSRP. I hope that you have better luck and that you have several dealers in the Front Range to choose from. The quote I got was more than $2600 higher than my earlier order in Oregon for the same model/accessories; I guess I'll be getting mine in Oregon as planned.

But don't compare apples and oranges: if you can get a 2011 in Oregon vs. a 2012 in Colorado, get the 2011! It's $1900 cheaper than the 2012 model year and you still should have the option for a cold weather trim (if it's a very late model year) rather than being forced to accept it and the Quick Charge.

dgpcolorado said:
travisty said:
WOOOT finally! My order's in here in Colorado - well actually waiting for my dealer because this is their first Leaf - but it should all be done in the next few hours. Now just need to wait a few months for my Leaf :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D

I read about your experience in the other thread :(

I got 2 quotes from dealers who actually were excited about the Leaf (out of the 5 I called). One had MSRP + $495 for dealer handling. The other had the same but also wanted to put a 'protective' coat on the inside/outside for another $400. I went with the first dealer.

travisty said:
dgpcolorado said:

I read about your experience in the other thread :(

I got 2 quotes from dealers who actually were excited about the Leaf. One had MSRP + $495 for dealer handling. The other had the same but also wanted to put a 'protective' coat on the inside/outside for another $400. I went with the first dealer.
The Colorado dealers kind of have the Leaf fans here over a barrel because we've been waiting a long time and ordering only just became enabled. My guess is that, from a new Leaf Certified dealer's point of view, they've just spent a lot of money getting prepared to handle the Leaf and there should be some pent-up demand. By contrast, in the Tier 1 states the market is a lot more competitive by now, so $1000 under, 4% under, even 5% under MSRP can be found easily. In my case the Oregon dealer even applied the discount to the handful of accessories I ordered and the quote was "clean": no add-ons and it even included the "D&D" (Destination and Delivery) charge, so no questions about that later. They were also a delight to work with (via e-mail and phone).

I was a bit disappointed that the Durango dealer wasn't ready to deal because I would have been an easy sale, there is plenty of markup on a Leaf even at my discounted Oregon price, and it's not like they're going to sell their monthly quota of Leafs out here in the sticks. But over MSRP? Come on!

dgpcolorado said:
... My guess is that, from a new Leaf Certified dealer's point of view, they've just spent a lot of money getting prepared to handle the Leaf and there should be some pent-up demand. By contrast, in the Tier 1 states the market is a lot more competitive by now, so $1000 under, 4% under, even 5% under MSRP can be found easily. ...
If you read the old threads, you'll those discounts developed even before the first RAQs went out. They were mainly thanks to the earliest reservation holders canvasing the dealers back in August of 2010. Shame I wasn't on the board at the time...I ended up at full MSRP.

davewill said:
dgpcolorado said:
... My guess is that, from a new Leaf Certified dealer's point of view, they've just spent a lot of money getting prepared to handle the Leaf and there should be some pent-up demand. By contrast, in the Tier 1 states the market is a lot more competitive by now, so $1000 under, 4% under, even 5% under MSRP can be found easily. ...
If you read the old threads, you'll those discounts developed even before the first RAQs went out. They were mainly thanks to the earliest reservation holders canvasing the dealers back in August of 2010. Shame I wasn't on the board at the time...I ended up at full MSRP.

There was no quota system until IIRC November 2010, so any dealer before then could take as many LEAF orders as she wanted and give a volume discount. With the quota system, that's no longer very true anywhere, even in Tier 1, though now it may be more Supply over Demand there.

TimeHorse said:
davewill said:
dgpcolorado said:

There was no quota system until IIRC November 2010, so any dealer before then could take as many LEAF orders as she wanted and give a volume discount. With the quota system, that's no longer very true anywhere, even in Tier 1, though now it may be more Supply over Demand there.

Can someone fill me in on the quota system? A link to discussion or other artifact?

essaunders said:
Can someone fill me in on the quota system? A link to discussion or other artifact?

The Dealer I RAQ from (Clay Nissan), said they will only get 5 Leafs, this year. Thats not very many, so they really did not want to sell for any less than MSRP. On top of that, I did the RAQ as a "lease", and it came back as the entire sale price PER month, listed. I said, "I'm not buying your entire dealership". I don't think the New England Tier 3 dealers have much of a grip on the RAQ system yet.

essaunders said:

Dealers in this area are getting a new quota after every month based on the previous month's sales (the more quotes they send, the larger their quota the following month). For instance, I know from Bruce at Herb Gordon Nissan of Silver Spring that in August they had a quota of 5 and used them all within the first week IIRC. At that point, a dealer can produce no more quotes and anyone with that dealership selected will have to wait until the next month when new quotes can be generated.

Dealers have the option of updating me on their quotas which I will then post on my site as free publicity, but so far Bruce is the only one to have submitted. I really should give Bruce a call; it's been a while since we spoke...

Now that the official announcement post is up, I can confirm that I got a call from my preferred dealership number 1 guy, Justin Maynard and I am currently slated to get my Red Cayanne LEAF the second week of November, 15 weeks after ordering!

So much for red paint delays! :)

Week of November 8th!

Already contacted a few insurance companies (Allstate is looking good, though I may be submitting my quote requests a bit inconsistantly) and since I have my VIN I should be able to order my plates and get a 90-day financing guarantee from my Credit Union (I'm thinking $20,000 at 1.79% for 3 years should cover the bit I can't do in cash; would have been $15,000 with the 2011 LEAF!)

Pretty soon my buddy Dave won't be the only one driving a LEAF in the Mid Atlantic!

I ordered my Red SL Leaf today as well, I may well be the first local delivery in the Boston area (1 or 2 may have been shipped in, but I've never seen one yet), as the ordering only opened yesterday for our area.

I am going for the 36 month Lease, I can always buy out the lease, and its an out if there are better EVs out in 36 months (which at the rate other mfrs are moving is doubtful), also I like that the $7,500 is taken right off and no waiting or question about usability of the full federal credit on my 2013 tax filing (because its probably not arriving until sometime in Jan of 2012)

My Schnieder EVSE is already installed as well :)

essaunders said:
What do you know about delivery estimates? next year I presume?

3-4 months sounds like either the end of December 2011 to the end of January 2012, timehorse states his will be delivered in PA 15 weeks after ordering, so sounds like Jan of 2012 is more likely. Just when we want to take delivery of a new car in New England, right smack in the middle of winter :)

Pushes the tax into next year - I'm already taking a solar install tax credit this year. If I end up with a 2011 delivery it would probably make sense to lease. Might do that anyway - I haven't decided.

essaunders said:
Pushes the tax into next year - I'm already taking a solar install tax credit this year. If I end up with a 2011 delivery it would probably make sense to lease. Might do that anyway - I haven't decided.

Yep, to me leasing makes the most sense in any case. You have no concerns about getting the full $7,500, also you don't need to finance that $7,500 or wait for the credit, perhaps until your 2013 tax filing. You can still buyout the lease after the 36 months, or even as short as 3 months. I look at it as a fairly inexpensive way to hedge my future options, and put out the least amount of cash to drive the Leaf now :)

I'm almost ready to order out here in Tier 3 Colorado.

2012 SV red, no accessories. 90-120 days, 30-60 extra for red or blue.

I talked to four dealers, and as you might expect, its MSRP +$850. Some tried to tack on the $500 dealer fee, but no one is budging below MSRP for 2012. 4 orders have been placed at one dealer near me in the one day reservations have been open, 2 SV, 2 SL fron one dealer, allocations monthly of only 4-5, recharged every month.

Any hints on how to haggle the dealers in such an environment? Sigh...

TimeHorse said:
dgpcolorado said:

But don't compare apples and oranges: if you can get a 2011 in Oregon vs. a 2012 in Colorado, get the 2011! It's $1900 cheaper than the 2012 model year and you still should have the option for a cold weather trim (if it's a very late model year) rather than being forced to accept it and the Quick Charge.
I was comparing the same 2012 SV model. By late August, orders were all for 2012 models and I believe that 2011 model production had ceased. Yes, finding a 2011 orphan with the cold weather package would have been a good strategy, but I only became aware of that after the fact. Might still be a possibility though...

Trying to optimize the Leaf ordering process is like trying to juggle five balls at once!

milanski said:
I'm almost ready to order out here in Tier 3 Colorado.

2012 SV red, no accessories. 90-120 days, 30-60 extra for red or blue.

I talked to four dealers, and as you might expect, its MSRP +$850. Some tried to tack on the $500 dealer fee, but no one is budging below MSRP for 2012. 4 orders have been placed at one dealer near me in the one day reservations have been open, 2 SV, 2 SL fron one dealer, allocations monthly of only 4-5, recharged every month.

Any hints on how to haggle the dealers in such an environment? Sigh...
I think that you have limited options:

• You can accept MSRP and go with it.

• You can wait a month or two or three to see if the Front Range dealers will loosen up over time. It may be that their quotas renew on October 1st, not that it will help if they stick to MSRP.

• You can order out of state and have the car transported. [If you do, be careful ordering in California or Texas because some dealers will tack on sales tax and it can be a lot higher than the 2.9% in Colorado (according to an aquaintance in my county clerk's office). That's a nice thing about Oregon: no sales tax, one just pays the usual Colorado sales tax on registering.]

Perhaps someone else has better ideas.

Back