Ok, I need more range. What mods can I make

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ht2 said:
Ingineer said:
Of all the ideas you suggested, a well-executed grill block would definitely improve aerodynamics, which is a factor in the winter with denser air, especially if you are driving fast.
What is the best way to block the grill?
The cheapest way is some cardboard/painter's tape. Looks real ugly, though, and isn't durable.

A step up is to build some brackets and use chloroplast, which is a corrugated plastic typically used for signs. Inexpensive and easy to cut to shape.

Another step up is to mold one from fiberglass.

The trick is to figure out how much you can block without overheating anything. The LEAF does use the radiators for the A/C and cooling the motor/inverter - ideally you'd monitor temps and have an active grill block which opens/closes the grill based on actual cooling requirements.

If you browse the forms at at ecomodder.com and cleanmpg.com you can get lots of ideas. Most common mods found there are grill blocks, underbody trays (LEAF is already very flat, so little improvement here to be found), flat wheel covers, wheel skirts and boat tails.

smkettner said:
I would consider a car hauler before a generator.
Why so much hate for generators? Last time I ran the numbers it looked like you could get about 30 mpg charging the Leaf off a generator. Sure they might not have all the fancy emissions controls cars are required to have, but it's clearly way better than a tow truck / car carrier. And for something that will obviously be used infrequently and helps solve one of the biggest shortcomings of EVs it seems to me we should be excited to see people coming up with creative solutions, and looking for ways to make them work better.

fooljoe said:
smkettner said:
Why so much hate for generators? Last time I ran the numbers it looked like you could get about 30 mpg charging the Leaf off a generator. Sure they might not have all the fancy emissions controls cars are required to have, but it's clearly way better than a tow truck / car carrier. And for something that will obviously be used infrequently and helps solve one of the biggest shortcomings of EVs it seems to me we should be excited to see people coming up with creative solutions, and looking for ways to make them work better.

generators burn gas. that is a pretty compelling reason right there. after all, ICE drivers seem to hate us and have much less justification for the hate.

figured they would appreciate a few less people in front of them at the gas station but, guess different people look at things different ways

Not sure if it's been brought up, but in regards to the OP's winter concerns: a good insulating job might significantly reduce the amount of energy needed for heating. Dynamat or other types of insulating materials are available body panels, roof, etc.. A lot of work, but so are some of the other "mods" being discussed.

fooljoe said:
smkettner said:
I have a small generator that will charge my LEAF at full L1 rate. At the same time I would not leave on a trip with generator on the back. I would just take the Subaru. TonyWilliams drove his LEAF the entire USA west coast without a generator and this guy cannot get around the city :roll:

Yes I think hauling the vehicle is more practical than sitting roadside for 4 to 8 hours charging at L1 each way.

At least get a 5kW rated 240v generator to charge at L2 speed.

smkettner said:
See, that's what I'm talking about! Ways to improve the situation... ;) Of course "just take the Subaru" is the standard option when faced with a trip that the Leaf can't make, but if the disdain for generators is based on an aversion to gas-burning no matter what (as Dave points out) then that doesn't really make much sense.

Perhaps we can appreciate that while most of us probably have 2nd cars on hand for such situations, others don't. And that limitation is likely keeping many prospective Leaf buyers from taking the plunge. If there were a viable option for single car Leafers to extend their range every so often with a generator trailer or something similar, it would only lead to increased EV adoption and therefore less gas burning overall.

fooljoe said:
smkettner said:
See, that's what I'm talking about! Ways to improve the situation... ;) Of course "just take the Subaru" is the standard option when faced with a trip that the Leaf can't make, but if the disdain for generators is based on an aversion to gas-burning no matter what (as Dave points out) then that doesn't really make much sense.

Perhaps we can appreciate that while most of us probably have 2nd cars on hand for such situations, others don't. And that limitation is likely keeping many prospective Leaf buyers from taking the plunge. If there were a viable option for single car Leafers to extend their range every so often with a generator trailer or something similar, it would only lead to increased EV adoption and therefore less gas burning overall.
I agree; but there's no need to purchase/haul around a portable generator. There is already a car with just such a capability. It's called the Chevrolet Volt. :roll:

derkraut said:
I agree; but there's no need to purchase/haul around a portable generator. There is already a car with just such a capability. It's called the Chevrolet Volt. :roll:
Buying the Volt *is* purchasing/hauling around a generator. Except instead of just hauling it around the couple times a year when you need it, you're forced to haul it around 100% of the time, and you have all the maintenance of a traditional ICE car, and you're paying more for a smaller battery.

Now, if we're getting back to OP's situation, then yes a Volt might be a good solution, but a longer range EV like a Rav4 or Tesla or even Coda is better. But for the very occasional long range need our tangential discussion is about the Volt is just a terrible compromise. And besides, "you shoulda just bought a different car" is a terrible answer to the question of how best to extend the capability of our existing Leafs.

just making sure we realize that the generator talk was due to someone who is taking their LEAF for its inspection and battery check, etc. so

** taking the Subaru; not an option

** getting a Volt; not an option

** trailering it; I guess we "could" consider it an option but keep in mind; he only "might" need a small boost just to crest the next hill (of which there are many!)

Hartleaf said:
At last I am going to have to give in and consider to do some modifications to extend the reduced winter range of my leaf. Thoughts are:
1. Seal off front grill in bumper during the winter when range is most affected by sub zero temperatures
2. Light aero rims and thinner low rolling resistance tyres
3. Led bulbs all round as in winter this should have an impact
4. Lighter racing front seats
5. 12v lead acid battery replaced by lithium ion battery
6. Lower car to improve aerodynamics
7. Remove anything that is not needed eg jack, owners manual, etc
8. Smaller wing mirrors
9. Aluminium pedals
10. Remove the heater
11. Marine flexible solar panel on boot spoiler
12. Somehow warm the batteries to get summer range.
12. Anything else .....
Or should I just put in heating in the garage, to avoid loosing 10% range when it gets cold.
How about just putting the heat where you need it most. The EV that I built before the LEAF was ever available had lead acid batteries that would loose about 50% capacity when it got close to zero F outside. http://www.evalbum.com/3175" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My solution was to install a bunch of KAT's battery heaters underneath all of those golf cart batteries.
http://www.amazon.com/Kats-22600-Watt-Battery-Heater/dp/B000I8VL16/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1355198282&sr=8-10&keywords=kats+battery+heater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any time that I knew range was going to be an issue I would plug in those battery heaters then night before and warm those babies up. Next morning it ran like it was spring time again. As they say YMMV ( Your mileage may vary )

DaveinOlyWA said:
just making sure we realize that the generator talk was due to someone who is taking their LEAF for its inspection and battery check, etc. so

** taking the Subaru; not an option

** getting a Volt; not an option

** trailering it; I guess we "could" consider it an option but keep in mind; he only "might" need a small boost just to crest the next hill (of which there are many!)
Just so. Thanks Dave.

I think that people are overlooking the fact that for some of us getting our LEAFs to work beyond our normal driving routines is part of the fun of owning one. It isn't a burden, it is an interesting problem to solve. Like the OP's question about ideas for range improvements. "Buy a Tesla or a Volt" misses the point, IMHO.

I did not realize the pic was someone trying to make it to the dealer for service.

I am far more inclined to find electric charging spots rather than pondering a weak generator set up. This will be improved substancially with 2013 6.6kW OBC. And make the pictured L1 generator option even worse in comparison. To each their own.

smkettner said:
I did not realize the pic was someone trying to make it to the dealer for service.
The pic of someone charging off a generator is so far unexplained - dgpcolorado chimed in with his own experience of taking a generator along on his trip to the dealer. Either way, dgp's explanation of why it's interesting to talk about using a generator and not just post dismissive comments like "buy a volt" or "find a charging station" sums it up nicely I think.

Has anyone tried a Yeti generator?
http://www.goalzero.com/yeti1250.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am in the same situation as the OP and I was thinking a Yeti tied into an extra 12v Lithium or Marine battery (and maybe even the optional solar panels) would be enough to give me another ~15 miles of range minus about ~5 miles for having to lug around another 150lbs or so.

jeremyjmu said:
Has anyone tried a Yeti generator?
http://www.goalzero.com/yeti1250.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am in the same situation as the OP and I was thinking a Yeti tied into an extra 12v Lithium or Marine battery (and maybe even the optional solar panels) would be enough to give me another ~15 miles of range minus about ~5 miles for having to lug around another 150lbs or so.

That's as funny as the name.

drees said:
ht2 said:
Ingineer said:
Of all the ideas you suggested, a well-executed grill block would definitely improve aerodynamics, which is a factor in the winter with denser air, especially if you are driving fast.
What is the best way to block the grill?
The cheapest way is some cardboard/painter's tape. Looks real ugly, though, and isn't durable.

A step up is to build some brackets and use chloroplast, which is a corrugated plastic typically used for signs. Inexpensive and easy to cut to shape.

Another step up is to mold one from fiberglass.

The trick is to figure out how much you can block without overheating anything. The LEAF does use the radiators for the A/C and cooling the motor/inverter - ideally you'd monitor temps and have an active grill block which opens/closes the grill based on actual cooling requirements.

If you browse the forms at at ecomodder.com and cleanmpg.com you can get lots of ideas. Most common mods found there are grill blocks, underbody trays (LEAF is already very flat, so little improvement here to be found), flat wheel covers, wheel skirts and boat tails.

Thanks.
I use blue painter's tape and seems gain some range.

ht2 said:
Thanks.
I use blue painter's tape and seems gain some range.

ht2, how did your grill block turn out? Have you had consistent improvements? Did you cover the whole grill or only parts of it?

I am a bit worried about overheating, have you seen any tendencies?

johnqh said:
shouldn't rear wheel skirt be the easiest range mode for high way driving?
For '13 LEAF S owners, flat wheel covers ought to be the easiest.

Skirts are good, but not all that easy to fab up well unless you have experience.

drees said:
johnqh said:
shouldn't rear wheel skirt be the easiest range mode for high way driving?
For '13 LEAF S owners, flat wheel covers ought to be the easiest.

Skirts are good, but not all that easy to fab up well unless you have experience.

I am surprised that nobody is selling an after market wheel skirt for EV.

GM EV1 has drag coefficient of 0.16, Leaf at 0.28. That skirt must contribute part of the difference.

Back