Ok, I need more range. What mods can I make

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
planet4ever said:
Hartleaf said:
at sub freezing temperatures I get home with only 10 miles on dash. I know that means approx 20 miles left, but it is just like too steassfull. In the summer all is fine as I get back with 20 miles and both red battery bars. If I could somehow get a 10-15 mile extension in range I would be happy.
Ah! So that's your problem. Have I ever got a cheap solution for you; you just need to work on your stress level.
Yeah, if you're getting home in subfreezing weather with that much on the display, you just need to chill out. Everything's fine.

As far as an actual possible marginal improvement to range when below freezing, without any modification to the car, the following MIGHT do something, and SEEMS like it did for me when I tried it, though it may just be me wanting it to do something. This is what I tried just for kicks.

If I were leaving at around 8:30 AM, set the pre-heat to come on at 6AM and set the end timer for 8:00 AM at 100%. SEEMS like I get an extra battery temp bar (5 instead of 4), and marginal improvement in rage, something like 3-5 miles, maybe, though I have not actually recorded data to determine this. So possibly will help a little, probably just crap I made up in my head when I tried it, and the net result was negligible. And it wastes a little power...

zarwin said:
As far as an actual possible marginal improvement to range when below freezing, without any modification to the car, the following MIGHT do something, and SEEMS like it did for me when I tried it, though it may just be me wanting it to do something. This is what I tried just for kicks.

If I were leaving at around 8:30 AM, set the pre-heat to come on at 6AM and set the end timer for 8:00 AM at 100%. SEEMS like I get an extra battery temp bar (5 instead of 4), and marginal improvement in rage, something like 3-5 miles, maybe, though I have not actually recorded data to determine this. So possibly will help a little, probably just crap I made up in my head when I tried it, and the net result was negligible. And it wastes a little power...

Seems logical to me. A warm battery can hold more energy, and you're essentially warming up the battery far enough ahead of time to charge it a while longer.

zarwin said:
marginal improvement in rage

However, if Hartleaf is already feeling stressed, I don't know if this is going to help ;)

walterbays said:
Here's a nice simple mod to add 10-20 miles of range. Tony would have to organize a range test to quantify the benefit accurately. Cost is about $1.49 for a bungee cord. Loop one end around the steering column. The other end goes around your right foot to help hold it up off the accelerator pedal.
rangemod.jpg
:)

For guys, how about one end of the loop to the pedal and other around your balls ?? :oops:

I saw this today, I guess it will extend your range!?

Front-1.jpg

Rear.jpg

The generator was running in the rain had a very bad exhaust smell. Not good advertising for an all electric car.

Update - These pictures were taken at a Eco-friendly CO-OP located in Mount Vernon, WA. About 61 miles north of Seattle or 34 miles to Everett WA (car dealer on front plate). I know of one QC within 10 minute drive of this location and another two within 20 minutes. The generator was sitting in a tow attachment with bungee cords.

Charging on generator is definitely not the most efficient way to travel, but the car in question appeared to be low on charge (note single charge light on dash) so it's likely they needed the charge to get wherever they were going.

Being in Washington, though where should be ample charging infrastructure (and QC stations), I have to imagine that using public charging would have been quicker, easier and cheaper (not to mention cleaner!).

Incredibly, they are charging on a generator at L1! Yes, huge waste of fuel/time and definitely dirty. The generator probably only has enough fuel for 6 hours or so, which is only going to get him 24 miles at best!

It's an SL, you'd think he'd find a QC somewhere. Where was this taken?

-Phil

Is charging on a generator to get some much needed range "dirtier" than being towed? (If that's even an option.)

I need to take my car to the dealer for the required battery check and there is no way I can make 92 miles and three mountain passes (11,018', 10,910', 10,640') in winter on a charge. I have interim charging—a motel with plugs—lined up at mile 49 (9300'). But, can I make it 43 miles from 6481 feet elevation to 10,910 feet at night in 0ºF weather, dodging deer and elk, on a 100% charge after my service is complete? That remains to be seen and the generator will go in the trunk in case the answer is "no". If I called 1-800-NOGASEV they'd probably just laugh at me when they found out where I was.

I suppose I could see if the dealer would be willing to flatbed me 15 miles or so to get the trip started, but they'll be long closed by the time I get fully charged on their EVSE.

dgpcolorado said:
Is charging on a generator to get some much needed range "dirtier" than being towed? (If that's even an option.)

I need to take my car to the dealer for the required battery check and there is no way I can make 92 miles and three mountain passes (11,018', 10,910', 10,640') in winter on a charge. I have interim charging—a motel with plugs—lined up at mile 49 (9300'). But, can I make it 43 miles from 6481 feet elevation to 10,910 feet at night in 0ºF weather, dodging deer and elk, on a 100% charge after my service is complete? That remains to be seen and the generator will go in the trunk in case the answer is "no". If I called 1-800-NOGASEV they'd probably just laugh at me when they found out where I was.

I suppose I could see if the dealer would be willing to flatbed me 15 miles or so to get the trip started, but they'll be long closed by the time I get fully charged on their EVSE.
I would guess that yes, using the generator to charge for your trip would be dirtier than a tow truck, but it's probably a lot more convenient for you to use a generator and you're a rare special case. If you were doing this all the time, I'd say you made a mistake purchasing the LEAF, but if you only have to do this once a year, no big deal.

Might it make sense to have the car towed there, without you, serviced, then towed back? Would AAA do that? Or Nissan? It would be convenient to not have to make the trek in person at all.

dgpcolorado said:

I would consider a car hauler before a generator.

Ingineer said:
Of all the ideas you suggested, a well-executed grill block would definitely improve aerodynamics, which is a factor in the winter with denser air, especially if you are driving fast.

-Phil

What is the best way to block the grill?

Ingineer said:
Incredibly, they are charging on a generator at L1! Yes, huge waste of fuel/time and definitely dirty. The generator probably only has enough fuel for 6 hours or so, which is only going to get him 24 miles at best!

It's an SL, you'd think he'd find a QC somewhere. Where was this taken?

-Phil
The license has Everett Magic Nissan on it, so presumably somewhere near Seattle.

does Great Britain not have one of the more robust public charging networks in the World? granted stopping to juice up if driving that far slowly can be a hassle but you will need something else besides tweaks in a year or two.

one options is get a portable solar array. a "decent" one will run you $3000+ and guessing England not so sunny for winter use.

i would really suggest you revisit workplace charging. I figure to have just about 75 miles of winter range driving conservatively and you might be able to eek out a bit more but...

JustinC said:
dgpcolorado said:

I would guess that yes, using the generator to charge for your trip would be dirtier than a tow truck, but it's probably a lot more convenient for you to use a generator and you're a rare special case.
I disagree that it is dirtier because it is likely that I would only need an hour or two—0.2 to 0.4 gallons of gas—to get enough extra range to make the top of the pass. A tow truck would have to cover a lot of distance to pick me up and drop me off.
If you were doing this all the time, I'd say you made a mistake purchasing the LEAF, but if you only have to do this once a year, no big deal.
Yes, I agree. I knew full well I was pushing the envelope by trying to make a LEAF work here. 7300 miles later, no regrets.
Might it make sense to have the car towed there, without you, serviced, then towed back? Would AAA do that? Or Nissan? It would be convenient to not have to make the trek in person at all.
I doubt that Nissan would do it and private towing would be very expensive if it was available. Besides, where's the fun in that? I already did the practice run to the dealer in September to make detailed measurements. The generator in the trunk is my "security blanket". I think I can make it this year although probably not next year. Burning a half gallon of gas once in a great while doesn't seem particularly "dirty" compared to 184 miles (plus another fifty or so just to get to my house) of car transport. Which is the point I was trying to make.

I think your option is the best by far. even a very inefficient and dirty generator would not generate near the level of pollution a big heavy (probably needs to be tuned up) diesel tow truck would generate to drive ?? how far? guessing 20+ miles ONE WAY.

we cant compare on a mile per mile basis.

we gotta get Phil to sell his rig to hook up to Honda eu2000i generators in a 240V (12A) arrangement! (still not a great option, but a 'two piece' 240 rig is something I'd consider for my house/car charging backup!

Back