Official Renault Zoe thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aqn said:
Regarding the various numbers being cited in the press and in Renault's press release(s): I seem to recall another number being bandied about around this time last year: 100, as in "range of 100 miles". I don't think people should get too excited about the Zoe's numbers yet.
Ferrrrrrrrrr said:
That information is outdated. Oficial now is >100 miles. Unnoficial 160 miles.
Understood. I was referring to the early claim of "100 miles range" for the LEAF (this is mynissanleaf.com, after all :) ) which turns out to be mostly bogus.

TonyWilliams said:
Nissan has already announced that the battery for year 2015 will be made of lithium nickel manganese cobalt oxide cathode (say that five times fast), can go for 1,000 charges and has a range of 186 miles--double the range of current batteries. Nissan also claims that it won't be any more expensive than batteries already on the market.
The Lithium NMC cathode was developed by Argonne National Lab, according to this:
http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2011-01/gm’s-new-battery-chemistry-it’s-already-chevy-volt

A 1000 charges....??? That's not even three years. :shock: Or did you mean to say 1000's of charges???

TRONZ said:
A 1000 charges....??? That's not even three years. :shock: Or did you mean to say 1000's of charges???

1000 full charges it is. With a 150-mile pack that is 150.000 miles or easily 10 years before 20% capacity loss in the battery.

Correction/clarification about my Argonne National Lab report. I cannot find any confirmation that Nissan is licensing Argonne's cathode technology. There are many reports from 2009 that Nissan has been working on similar NMC (Nickel-Manganese-Cobalt) cathodes that would offer almost double the battery capacity.

Now, the Renault Kangoo ZE is available (physically) in 400 Renault dealers in France.
3 models are sold : 2 seats (without windows), 2 seats (with windows) or 5 seats.
kangoo1.jpg

Maximum speed: 80mph
Autonomy according to the European cycle NEDC : 105 miles (like for the Leaf).

And, cherry on the cake, some french public (or parapublic) companies have just bought more than 15600 Kangoo ZE !

tbleakne said:
Correction/clarification about my Argonne National Lab report. I cannot find any confirmation that Nissan is licensing Argonne's cathode technology. There are many reports from 2009 that Nissan has been working on similar NMC (Nickel-Manganese-Cobalt) cathodes that would offer almost double the battery capacity.

Nissan (¿NMC?) batteries at Flins (France) to 2014:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/09/renault-nissan-idUSL6E7M96A520111109" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And Zoe with 350 km (219 miles) of range:

http://www.bfmbusiness.com/toute-linfo-eco/transports/renault-fait-reposer-sa-strat%C3%A9gie-%C3%A9lectrique-sur-zoe-124787" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TonyWilliams said:
...Nissan has already announced that the battery for year 2015 will be made of lithium nickel manganese cobalt oxide cathode (say that five times fast), can go for 1,000 charges and has a range of 186 miles--double the range of current batteries. Nissan also claims that it won't be any more expensive than batteries already on the market.

I'd love to see this happen, but am very skeptical.

Got any better support for this than over-2-year-old-anonymous-source reports?

Hello fellas, new person here.

The production version of the Zoe has been revealed in Geneva. Range is 125 miles NEDC, top speed 84 mph, 338 liter trunk. Comes with an integrated tablet, priced from 15,700 to 17,500 euros ($19,500 to $21,800) in France. Battery is rented for 80-120 euros a month, depending on how much you drive.
http://blog.renault.com/en/2012/03/06/renault-zoe-quite-simply-revolutionary-and-yet-a-reality/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDGXR_ri7pI[/youtube]

UK range 130 miles (Leaf 109 on same test)

UK price £13650 on the road, with £59 monthly battery lease.

3 Phase 43kW charging is also very significant in Europe because we have lots of low cost 22kW and 43kW Charging Stations being deployed.

I think this is the first mass market EV in Europe.

Apparently its a similar battery to what the Leaf has, in a smaller car.

So it has a built-in 43kW 3 phase charger?.. seems a bit too much

Herm said:
So it has a built-in 43kW 3 phase charger?.. seems a bit too much
sorry but I don't have a problem with 80% charge in 30 minutes almost everywhere I stop from a Charging Station that costs less than £500... what's the issue for you?

I like a 43kW built-in charger also, is it correct or did something get lost in translation?.. it sure beats the Leaf's 3.3kW charger.

Renault says:

"ZOE is the only electric vehicle to feature the Chameleon charger. Patented by Renault, this charger is compatible with all power levels up to 43kW. Charging batteries at a charging station can take between 30 minutes and nine hours. For example, ZOE can be charged in an hour at 22kW. This intermediate power level extends battery life and puts less pressure on the power grid than the fast-charging of batteries at 43kW. Fast-charging stations are currently equipped with high-power chargers. Now that the Chameleon charger is fitted to the vehicle, there is no longer any need for chargers at charging stations. New fast-charging stations will be opened which are easier and more cost-effective. They will cost less than €3,000, a quarter of the cost of existing fast-charging stations."

http://blog.renault.com/en/2012/03/06/renault-zoe-quite-simply-revolutionary-and-yet-a-reality/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks pretty clear to me.

edward said:
Renault says:

"ZOE is the only electric vehicle to feature the Chameleon charger. Patented by Renault, this charger is compatible with all power levels up to 43kW. Charging batteries at a charging station can take between 30 minutes and nine hours. For example, ZOE can be charged in an hour at 22kW. This intermediate power level extends battery life and puts less pressure on the power grid than the fast-charging of batteries at 43kW. Fast-charging stations are currently equipped with high-power chargers. Now that the Chameleon charger is fitted to the vehicle, there is no longer any need for chargers at charging stations. New fast-charging stations will be opened which are easier and more cost-effective. They will cost less than €3,000, a quarter of the cost of existing fast-charging stations."

Looks pretty clear to me.
This is a game changer. Why wouldn't every Renault/Nissan have this?

I'm guessing it's a new development so they couldn't integrate it in other models yet. Also other models were not originally designed to be electric, except for Twizy which doesn't need a big charger anyway.

Back