Official California PG&E Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to wait until PG&E makes the EV rate plan announcement. I've already second-guessed and changed strategy enough times.

I just spoke with a PG&E rep who confirmed with her supervisor that my existing smartmeter can do net metering for PV solar, while billing on the E9A TOU rate.

She also mentioned that the decision coming Dec 2 was about whether E9A/B are mandatory, or just optional, for EV users.

Looks to me that E9A is a clear winner over E1 and E6 in the winter. It's not so clear what's best in the summer. I may have to call in and switch rate plans twice a year ;)

On another note, my PV system has been operational for seven weeks, but PG&E keeps losing my E9A rate application which would get me into net metering. They're acting either very incompetent or very clever, I'm not sure which.

So far I have had two PG&E reps tell me that to have an E9A rate and also account for net generation from my PV system, I need to have an old-style net meter installed. I had an opposing rep today who confirmed with her supervisor that my existing smartmeter could do it instead.

Any bets how it turns out? Or better, any facts?

Right now, with a Smartmeter and on E1 rates, I can check PG&E's website and see than the sum of my hourly bars for a given day exactly matches my indicated total energy usage for that day. But my net generation (negative consumption) during the afternoon shows up as zero height bars and also counts as zero in the daily sum.

I haven't gone backward yet to see if my monthly bill is based off (month end reading - month start reading), or from the sum of the erroneous daily totals.

DeaneG said:
So far I have had two PG&E reps tell me that to have an E9A rate and also account for net generation from my PV system, I need to have an old-style net meter installed. I had an opposing rep today who confirmed with her supervisor that my existing smartmeter could do it instead.

Any bets how it turns out? Or better, any facts?

Right now, with a Smartmeter and on E1 rates, I can check PG&E's website and see than the sum of my hourly bars for a given day exactly matches my indicated total energy usage for that day. But my net generation (negative consumption) during the afternoon shows up as zero height bars and also counts as zero in the daily sum.

I haven't gone backward yet to see if my monthly bill is based off (month end reading - month start reading), or from the sum of the erroneous daily totals.
I have been tracking the numbers.

Since you don't have net metering yet like me, I can tell you that it is NOT based on month end reading - month start reading. Instead it is based on the erroneous daily totals. So any energy that you push back onto the grid is given FREE to PG&E. They can do this with the Smart meter.

If we still had the old style analog meter, they would not be able to cheat on the energy we generate.

greenleaf said:
I can tell you that it is NOT based on month end reading - month start reading. Instead it is based on the erroneous daily totals. So any energy that you push back onto the grid is given FREE to PG&E. They can do this with the Smart meter.

I just checked my last bill and you are correct. PG&E's bill ignores the net generation I have much of the afternoon. That's not right.

OTOH, they haven't given me the OK to operate the system yet. Did I mention it's been 7 weeks?

greenleaf said:
DeaneG said:
If we still had the old style analog meter, they would not be able to cheat on the energy we generate.
Ah, but an old-style analog meter can't give you a 6 cent/kWh rate in the middle of the night. Everything I'm reading here makes it sound like you folks need an "old-style" digital meter. That does do TOU and supports correct net use billing.

planet4ever said:
greenleaf said:
DeaneG said:
Ah, but an old-style analog meter can't give you a 6 cent/kWh rate in the middle of the night. Everything I'm reading here makes it sound like you folks need an "old-style" digital meter. That does do TOU and supports correct net use billing.
Oh, that comment was applicable only with solar PV and during the waiting period for PG&E to activate net metering.

mwalsh said:
DeaneG said:
Any bets how it turns out?

My guess would be class action lawsuit. :(
I'm in. This whole giving PG&E free power while we wait for them to switch out meters is absurd. I've now given them 430 kWh of free power, plus, on my end, I'm still having to pay my monthly solar loan payment that's around $275!!! :evil:
edit to add: And, that 430 kWh is during the rainy month of November. I can't imagine someone going through this during the peak sun months and not getting credit for their PV power generated.

greenleaf said:
My power generated so far is 204 kWh. I probably consumed about 20% of it, the rest were donated to PG&E.

40kWh/month consumption is pretty low. It seems you are way below your baseline quota.

And probably don't need a solar system :D But that might change after you get your car ;)

The baseline rate is highly subsidized and the cost to generate kW/h from solar is way higher.

leaf561 said:
greenleaf said:
My power generated so far is 204 kWh. I probably consumed about 20% of it, the rest were donated to PG&E.

40kWh/month consumption is pretty low. It seems you are way below your baseline quota.

And probably don't need a solar system :D But that might change after you get your car ;)

The baseline rate is highly subsidized and the cost to generate kW/h from solar is way higher.
Actually, I am normally in Tier 3 territory.

To clarify, the 204 kWh is generated over about 3 weeks in the daytime. Of this, I consumed about 40 kWh. The 40 kWh does NOT include the bulk of the power I used in the early morning, evening and night.

cinmar said:
.. This whole giving PG&E free power while we wait for them to switch out meters is absurd...
It's worse than that - you're not supposed to have the system turned on until you get the PG&E letter.

I called PG&E yesterday afternoon, and received an email this morning saying that someone would be out within 10 days to swap in a TOU meter. They did have 7 weeks to warm up for this though.

greenleaf said:
Actually, I am normally in Tier 3 territory.

To clarify, the 204 kWh is generated over about 3 weeks in the daytime. Of this, I consumed about 40 kWh. The 40 kWh does NOT include the bulk of the power I used in the early morning, evening and night.

Ignore me. I might have lost the context from the one of the earlier posts.

With me, I have E6 and it is working out great for me. During summer, we do most of the chores after 9pm and the E6 rate is great for that. Generally end up with positive $$$ in summer and end up consuming the credits during winter.

With all the confusion with PG&E, EVSE availability, rebates, etc. It has been hard for me to decide whether to stay with E6 or go for E9a. If rebates are available for EVSE installation next year, then I might just go for E9b and have the second panel installed. E9b will give me a new baseline.

Else switch to E9a from E6, buy a dishwasher with timer and move the laundry for weekend. Which will be a pain. Main concern with E9a is that the EV charging will eat up all my baseline. Which will push me back to Tier 3. But the good part of E9a partial-peak, is that the Tier 2 and Tier 3 are 0.11 and 0.16 respectively, which is much better than E6.

I just ordered yesterday, so thanks to Nissan, I have another 4 to 7 months to decide :D

DeaneG said:
cinmar said:
.. This whole giving PG&E free power while we wait for them to switch out meters is absurd...
It's worse than that - you're not supposed to have the system turned on until you get the PG&E letter.

I called PG&E yesterday afternoon, and received an email this morning saying that someone would be out within 10 days to swap in a TOU meter. They did have 7 weeks to warm up for this though.

I was about to ask the same question. You are not allow to turn-on till they say so. My installer turned it on for 1 day to test it. He came in the evening, got the readings and turned the switch on the Inverter to OFF position. He said I can turn it ON only after PG&E signs-off.

Hmmm...this is interesting in my case. My system was turned on for a day to test, then off the 2nd day, then back on the 3rd day until now (nearly 5 weeks later). I assume that means that PG&E allowed it to be on, but has yet to swap my meter.

cinmar said:
Hmmm...this is interesting in my case. My system was turned on for a day to test, then off the 2nd day, then back on the 3rd day until now (nearly 5 weeks later). I assume that means that PG&E allowed it to be on, but has yet to swap my meter.

It's been a while for me. But it was very quick, might been within couple of days. The only thing I remember was that when they switched me over, I was 5 or 6 days into my existing billing cycle and for that, they charged me obscenely high. Something to do with the baseline pro-rating, which landed me in the highest tier. I called them, but they couldn't fix it.

The "meter man" came out this morning to swap in a kV2cs net meter. He said to go ahead and switch on the PV. And he even knew that I was aiming for the E9A rate rather than E6. Hope it all works.

Back