Is the CCS to CHADEMO adapter legitimate?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osumartin

Does anyone know if the promoters of this are legitimate?

I was in the Nissan leaf forum on Reddit, and I came across this post.

This company is claiming to have a ccs to CHADEMO adapter.

Here is a link to the Reddit post.

https://www.reddit.com/r/leaf/s/zPzH55XdoA
The YouTube video promoting this is here.

I am not sending the link to the actual product, because I don't know if it is legitimate.

Dala is a well-known and respected member of the international EV community. I have no direct knowledge of that adapter but I'd believe anything that Dala says in the YouTube video and IIRC, he thought it worked. When it will be available for sale, at what price and what after-sales support would be are still TBD.

Be advised that Dala is in Europe and they have CCS-2, North America uses CCS-1, make sure any adaptor you order can be plugged into by a CCS-1 if in the US/
There was a link posted yesterday in another thread here (I can't find it now) that had the CCS-1 version. Appeared to be from the same manufacturer, only for CCS-1.

Still pretty early in all this, but Dala's endorsement is huge. With as fickle and unreliable as DC fast charging can be, I wouldn't be surprised if the experience is less reliable than usual using this, but it's gotta be an improvement over the dwindling population of Chademo ports.

That is good news. I trust Dala's opinion on things, and would take his recommendation. However,unless I mis heard the video he is doing beta testing, which means they are still working out problems that may crop up. If you are looking for a full functioning, no problems product, I'd wait until Dala says all the bugs have been worked out.

This is where Dala's patreon program could benefit Leaf owners in the US.

Not many of us in the US will be eager to Pony up that kind of money for an adapter, and guinea pig our vehicles with a quick charger.

Even if Dala does not have a ccs1 vehicle to test an adapter, he can open up a sample unit and check the wiring and the firmware. He could then ship it to the US to a trusted collaborator who is willing to test it out.

I haven't seen any discussion by Dala on this specifically, but as a patreon supporters, we can encourage something along these lines.

Dala has a previous video where he opened up the adaptor. He found it well made but needing a bigger internal battery with a USB charging socket. This has now been done.
There are CCS-1 and CCS-2 versions now available on Alibaba (the odd one on eBay also). The price is around £1,500 at the moment.

I would buy one myself, but it's a big money gamble. I'm sure I could return it for a refund or fight with my credit card company about it, but I would rather see a video review of one being used on a CCS-1 here in the USA at a Nissan/EA/Evgo/etc station first before I would take the plunge as it would help with my frequent road-trips I already do in my Leaf. I did notice it's limited to 62.5 kW, but it's not often I find 100 kW ChaDeMo stations anyway, so if anything, less heat generated. 🤣

But, I guess we could get enough trusted members here to pool money together to test it, maybe mail it back and forth to each other to see how it works in different regions around the country?

There's also this CCS1 to CHAdeMo adapter "coming soon" from a Canadian company.
The company posted recent pictures of the product on Facebook.
Hopefully it is NOT just someone buying a bunch of the Chinese adapters to pass them off as though they made them. I only say that because they look identical in the pictures. What are the odds that a Canadian Company designed an adapter that looks exactly like the Chinese adapter?

The CCS2ChaDeMo thing is real.
Apart from that, we have a fixed CCS chargeport in our 2014 Tekna.
It is not only installed, it also works - I tested it.
The chargespeed can be set to what one desires.

Hopefully it is NOT just someone buying a bunch of the Chinese adapters to pass them off as though they made them. I only say that because they look identical in the pictures. What are the odds that a Canadian Company designed an adapter that looks exactly like the Chinese adapter?
If the Canadian company will guarantee them then it might be worth a small upcharge.

Much harder to do a return to China.

Although I fully support this adapter and look forward to the price drop in the future so we can all use it, would it not be cheaper and more reliable to retrofit the Leaf with a CCS port instead of Chademo?

Although I fully support this adapter and look forward to the price drop in the future so we can all use it, would it not be cheaper and more reliable to retrofit the Leaf with a CCS port instead of Chademo?
CCS uses different protocol to DC fast charge than CHademo. It isn't as simple as changing the outlet in the front. Not say it can't be done, but requires more than just a wiring and receptacle change.

Back