Nissan Connect in Australia

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nutsodeluxe

Hi everyone.
As a new owner of a 2019 ze1 e+G I'm trying to find out if it's possible to use Nissan Connect, which the car wants me to do.
It's a used import from Japan and I'm in Australia but so far I can't seem to find Nissan Connect on the (Google) app store, so I wonder if there's any way to access it.
If not, can anyone recommend some way of making more use of the car's communication ability?
Thanks

It's a used import from Japan and I'm in Australia
Nissan Australia doesn't want anything to do with grey imports; I don't know why. So even if there was a Nissan Connect network (I don't think that there is any more), they would not allow your car to connect with it.
If not, can anyone recommend some way of making more use of the car's communication ability?
No, sorry. You could add OVMS, but it's pretty expensive, and doesn't make use of the ETACs (?) unit in your car.

Per the Nissan Leaf support page, it says that only 24 and 30 kWh models are supported, but I think that's probably just an out of date page.

Nissan Australia doesn't want anything to do with grey imports; I don't know why. So even if there was a Nissan Connect network (I don't think that there is any more), they would not allow your car to connect with it.

No, sorry. You could add OVMS, but it's pretty expensive, and doesn't make use of the ETACs (?) unit in your car.

Per the Nissan Leaf support page, it says that only 24 and 30 kWh models are supported, but I think that's probably just an out of date page.
Thanks Coulomb - I suspected as much.
Just 1 question (and apologies for the ignorance): What's ETACs?

Just 1 question (and apologies for the ignorance): What's ETACs?
Ahem. That's me trying to remember the name of the Telematics ECU in the Leaf, possibly short circuiting to the MG equivalent. Sigh.

I meant to say the TCU, the Telematic Communications Unit. This is an Electronic Control Unit (ECU) that has a cellular modem, SIM card, and various other pieces of electronics to allow the car to communicate anywhere that there is suitable cellular coverage to the Nissan servers. That's how Nissan Connect is supposed to work.

Open Vehicle Monitoring System (OVMS) has its own cellular modem and other electronics. But this one is "open hardware", so the schematic and firmware are freely available. It's a shame that you can't use the hardware that is already in the car. You do get to use the car's cellular antenna though, from memory.

Back