Mossy Kearny Mesa & Poway

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate the discussion. Do you think Nissan will let one or even a couple of dealers get an overwhelming number of cars and just let the others (who also have orders but not as many) go without? They have to play both sides. They have to fill the orders placed while making sure of a distribution across the area. They have to roll out the cars over the area because the dealers have made an investment each of about 50k each to sell the car and need to get a return. I understand all of the consumers here feel very empowered with this oprder process as you should, but you need to step back and see it from the bigger view.

All the while I thought that that only depends on the buyers position in the reservation system.

For example, two buyers with approximately the same position in the reservation system and in the same city should get the Leaf around the same time (assuming they submit their booking at the same time too), even if one picked an out-of-city dealer. Is this assumption wrong?

But the cars aren't going to all cities....so they would have to pick dealers that are in the first wave...

If you are in San Diego and order from Albuquerque, well that would be stupid :), but it would also delay your order...

Now if you are in San Diego and order from LA...now that is a gray area...LA wasn't a roll out area at first, I am not sure it was incorporated or not into the "first delivery area".

But where you order from does make a difference for many...I surely can't order from my home location even though I put in my deposit on day one...I would have to wait for over a year.

Gavin

Mmmm, that is interesting Leon...so you are suggesting that some dealership will hit their limit? And that limit will likely be only a few cars since they only have some many for each area?

Now you are offering a big discount...would that mean I should be careful dealer with anybody offering a discount as they will likely hit their limit very fast...that it would be better to go with a tiny dealership that might only get a couple of LEAF pre orders?

Gavin

mossyleaf said:
I appreciate the discussion. Do you think Nissan will let one or even a couple of dealers get an overwhelming number of cars and just let the others (who also have orders but not as many) go without? They have to play both sides. They have to fill the orders placed while making sure of a distribution across the area. They have to roll out the cars over the area because the dealers have made an investment each of about 50k each to sell the car and need to get a return. I understand all of the consumers here feel very empowered with this oprder process as you should, but you need to step back and see it from the bigger view.
I appreciate the irony in your post. Earlier, you indicated that you have the second highest number of Leaf orders. Now do you think Nissan is going to restrict deliveries to your dealership? ;-)

mossyleaf said:
I understand, that is a really aggrssive offer and I don't blame you for letting it capture your interest. a couple of facts you should know about. By the end of march 2011 there will have been roughly only 3300 leafs delivered nationwide. They initially wanted a lot more 10k, but they decided to launch in japan in january which diverted 2/3 of the cars. So of the 3300 they are parsing them out at a few hundred a month over the 4 months dec-end of march. There is also an order to the markets. They are launching the car first in the etec markets. San Diego, Portand, Nashville, Houston, Tuson-Phoenix corridor because this is where the infrastrucxture will be first, and they need that up in order for the car to be successful. So for anyone who is in an etec market who wants to join a dogpile and get into the non-etc ready dealer line they can, but they won't be getting their Leaf as quickly. I'm not saying you won't get it, you will, but you will cost yourself some time. Not trying to disuade you or anything like that, but I know that information is really scarce out there and I think it's only fair that you know all sides of the story. I have the second most highest Leaf reservations in the country, I'm not hurting as far as customers, but I'm trying to be the dealer that really communicates with you guys and tells you whats going on from the backside. I think theres value in that, and based on the massive response I have received many of you agree.

Leon
This is the earlier post I was talking about. I added the emphasis.

If the "hitting the limit" issue delays delivery of a car that's been ordered thru a discounting dealership, that would be bad, real bad. I would feel cheated. The only way to solve this conundrum would be a delivery date being guaranteed when the dealer sends the customer the quote, BEFORE the customer accepts it.

From the EV live chat this morning.
Here's my take-away line: "The deliveries are based on the reservation address the order timing given to you was based on your reservation market."
Still kind of obtuse but seems to indicate that if you have say an Aug-Sep order; that is your priority per roll-out market. Or, maybe not... confused?

Sparky:
Hi Jesse, I'm on the August order list; does the dealer I choose have any impact on delivery schedule?

Jesse:
We appreciate your interest in the Nissan LEAF. I would be happy to help you today Sparky.

Jesse:
The dealer as long as in the same market should not affect delivery dates.

Sparky:
Well , I'm in the Los Angeles area. Is that the same priority as say, San Diego?

Jesse:
They would be considered two separate markets. The information we have goes by the state.

Sparky:
That's confusing me. They're in the same state, no? But you don't know if the priority is different?

Jesse:
We do not have the market by market details. The order timing was sent based on your reservation address.

Sparky:
Well, can you see my concern? I'm close enough to San Diego to order from a dealer there. But, I would only do that if it means my delivery would be sooner since I'm trying to qualify for the CA $5000 rebate. So, it's sort of a matter of $.

Sparky:
WHat if I haven't selected a dealer yet?

Jesse:
You will select a dealer for a quote when you request an order quote.

Sparky:
Ok. But there's no way to know when I select dealer #1 if they will be allocated my car for delivery after dealer #2 because dealer #2 is in an earlier rollout area?

Jesse:
The deliveries are based on the reservation address the order timing given to you was based on your reservation market. Any other details would need to consult from the dealer once orders start.

There is obviously some kind of allocation "fight" going on between Nissan & dealers. I'm sure dealers want some allocation to each of them - while Nissan probably wants to go purely by customer location.

Read back through the threads and you will see I was responding to an etec market customer who was considering buying from a non etec market dealer. Also the number of reservations you have has to do with the number of emails sent to reservation holders and so on. So because I have more reservastions, they assign more cars to this region for orders to be placed...I have to say there is an inherent unfairness in that Nissan is favoring (slightly) the San Diego area because we really are "the launch market". San Diego because of it's size, demographics, and most importantly being the Prius hotbed of California makes us a priority. That is not made up, those words have been uttered from the manufacturer, the utlilty, ecotality, etc. The largest group to buy Leafs are Prius owners. So I am not concerned about my ability to fill the orders because I know that my district is already a Priority with the manufacturer, and for thoses who do not know Mossy is at 6 out of the 7 Nissan dealers in San Diego. So let's just say the communication between the manufacturer and myself is Excellent. Not saying others aren't going to get there cars, they will, again just sharing some of what I believe to be Nissan's view.

There is obviously some kind of allocation "fight" going on between Nissan & dealers. I'm sure dealers want some allocation to each of them - while Nissan probably wants to go purely by customer location.

Yeah...it will be a bit of a tightrope walk...Nissan can't piss off or lose dealerships, Nissan can't piss off customers.

Tight spot. At least for a while. Once all the pre orders are filled, then the dealerships will be the ones ordering, not the customers...but that will be at least a year...what do dealerships do if they have no LEAFS to sell for a year? Get Mad? Don't advertise the LEAF...heck they could actually fight against the LEAF by pushing the Versa and other Nissans and actually dissing the LEAF outright to customers....why not, if they have none to sell why wouldn't they do everything they can to sell the cars they do have...

Gavin

mossyleaf said:
I understand, that is a really aggrssive offer and I don't blame you for letting it capture your interest. a couple of facts you should know about. By the end of march 2011 there will have been roughly only 3300 leafs delivered nationwide. They initially wanted a lot more 10k, but they decided to launch in japan in january which diverted 2/3 of the cars. So of the 3300 they are parsing them out at a few hundred a month over the 4 months dec-end of march. There is also an order to the markets. They are launching the car first in the etec markets. San Diego, Portand, Nashville, Houston, Tuson-Phoenix corridor because this is where the infrastrucxture will be first, and they need that up in order for the car to be successful. So for anyone who is in an etec market who wants to join a dogpile and get into the non-etc ready dealer line they can, but they won't be getting their Leaf as quickly. I'm not saying you won't get it, you will, but you will cost yourself some time. Not trying to disuade you or anything like that, but I know that information is really scarce out there and I think it's only fair that you know all sides of the story. I have the second most highest Leaf reservations in the country, I'm not hurting as far as customers, but I'm trying to be the dealer that really communicates with you guys and tells you whats going on from the backside. I think theres value in that, and based on the massive response I have received many of you agree.

Leon
------------------------------------
So, Leon, there wasn't any mention of Leaf distributions to the California market in the months of Dec-March?? Are we Californians out of the loop this round??

Gavin said:
And nothing in Washington State till March or later?

Gavin

I think he just missed it. Basically the EV Project areas will get the cars first ...

There will be 3300 total on the ground U.S. by the end of March, or at least that was the # from them on Monday (it changes alot). Before March I don't think other than the 5 launch markets will see much at all, they are controlling this effectively through the order waves I have'nt met many other than southern Ca reservationist who have August order ability. The August order people will get their cars in Dec, Jan, and maybe Feb at this point. So where does that leave everyone else? Pushed back a little.

mossyleaf said:
...The August order people will get their cars in Dec, Jan, and maybe Feb at this point. So where does that leave everyone else? Pushed back a little.
So Leon, does this statement mean if I'm an August order person, delivery date is still dependent on which dealer in SoCal I place the order with?

mossyleaf said:
I appreciate the discussion. Do you think Nissan will let one or even a couple of dealers get an overwhelming number of cars and just let the others (who also have orders but not as many) go without? They have to play both sides. They have to fill the orders placed while making sure of a distribution across the area. They have to roll out the cars over the area because the dealers have made an investment each of about 50k each to sell the car and need to get a return.

So you agree with me then? LOL! ;)

evnow said:
Gavin said:
And nothing in Washington State till March or later?

Gavin

I think he just missed it. Basically the EV Project areas will get the cars first ...

I don't think they will. Roll-out areas will get cars in order of order placed. There may be some distribution based on how many cars are going to certain locations, so that they can be transported together to maximize efficiency. But I think that's as far as it will go.

mossyleaf said:
They initially wanted a lot more 10k, but they decided to launch in japan in january which diverted 2/3 of the cars.

Are you saying in Japan the launch is moved to January ? The launch earlier in Japan was December as well. Considering they have fewer reservations in Japan (which don't even need the $99 fee), I don't think they will divert 2/3rds to Japan.

I think Nissan's earlier projections of 13K cars made by Mar '11 is no longer considered likely. They have scaled back the production numbers - shouldn't be surprising given all the complexities involved. May be they will even make 13K cars, but deliver only 10K by Mar '11.

May be they will make 10K cars.
- 3,300 go to US
- 3,300 go to Japan
- 3,300 got to EU ?

Or

May be they will make 7K cars.
- 3,300 go to US
- 1,600 go to Japan
- 1,600 got to EU ?

mossyleaf said:
...they are controlling this effectively through the order waves I have'nt met many other than southern Ca reservationist who have August order ability.

There are a lot of San Francisco area people with August order dates ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back