Mossy Kearny Mesa & Poway

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mossyleaf said:
I understand, that is a really aggrssive offer and I don't blame you for letting it capture your interest. a couple of facts you should know about. By the end of march 2011 there will have been roughly only 3300 leafs delivered nationwide. They initially wanted a lot more 10k, but they decided to launch in japan in january which diverted 2/3 of the cars. So of the 3300 they are parsing them out at a few hundred a month over the 4 months dec-end of march. There is also an order to the markets. They are launching the car first in the etec markets. San Diego, Portand, Nashville, Houston, Tuson-Phoenix corridor because this is where the infrastrucxture will be first, and they need that up in order for the car to be successful. So for anyone who is in an etec market who wants to join a dogpile and get into the non-etc ready dealer line they can, but they won't be getting their Leaf as quickly. I'm not saying you won't get it, you will, but you will cost yourself some time. Not trying to disuade you or anything like that, but I know that information is really scarce out there and I think it's only fair that you know all sides of the story. I have the second most highest Leaf reservations in the country, I'm not hurting as far as customers, but I'm trying to be the dealer that really communicates with you guys and tells you whats going on from the backside. I think theres value in that, and based on the massive response I have received many of you agree.
Leon

You left out one thing: It makes no difference what dealer you order from IF you are in one of the first rollout states, there will be no delay in delivery of your car. :)
But you are telling us that if we are in an etec area and order from a dealer not in an etec area, like Fontana, CA, our delivery will be delayed? Someone talked to Nissan recently and asked about the Sept. order date. They said someone in Sept. COULD get their car before an Aug. order because Aug. 27-Sept.2 were for the Aug./Sept. ordering and they also said both would get their cars in DEC. What say you?

greenleaf said:
mossyleaf said:
I appreciate the discussion. Do you think Nissan will let one or even a couple of dealers get an overwhelming number of cars and just let the others (who also have orders but not as many) go without? They have to play both sides. They have to fill the orders placed while making sure of a distribution across the area. They have to roll out the cars over the area because the dealers have made an investment each of about 50k each to sell the car and need to get a return. I understand all of the consumers here feel very empowered with this oprder process as you should, but you need to step back and see it from the bigger view.
I appreciate the irony in your post. Earlier, you indicated that you have the second highest number of Leaf orders. Now do you think Nissan is going to restrict deliveries to your dealership? ;-)

Greenleaf...I was just thinking the exact same thing! LOL

This quote is from Gordon at Santa Barbara Nissan: "Good news...they say the ordering will be strictly controlled by WHEN you reserved. first in first out.
AND you can buy anywhere. I love the taste of fresh crow early in the morning."

leaffan said:
This quote is from Gordon at Santa Barbara Nissan: "Good news...they say the ordering will be strictly controlled by WHEN you reserved. first in first out.

The only thing I disagree with here is that I think if you dither when it comes to the ordering process, you will fall down the delivery list. I think it's massively important that you and your dealer of choice are as expedient as humanly possible with finalizing the order and getting it into the Nissan system.

Once again let me say I appreciate the discussion. It's not roll out states, Nashville is not a state, they are cities or regions. In any case let me just say that I am here as a resouce for you. I will be selling many of these cars, but that is not the only reason I joined this forum. I saw my dealer (group) not being represented her, and a vacuum for you guys as far as info. With Nissan I am pretty much their if not one of their point dealers on Leaf and I saw the opportunity to interface with you and hopefully gain some trust and become an answer guy. That doesn't mean I don't have an agenda, of course I do I'm a car guy. But i'm a slightly different breed (i think) and i don't mind being as forthcomng as possible. So the info I put up here is what I knowfrom the Nissan rep(s) I communicate with at this point once or twice a week. You may not agree with what I say or find a dealer to say something contrary, that doesn't really suprise me. really very standard in my industry. I have spoken to many of you in pm's or by email and think those that have would agree I'm a real guy that you can ask a questino to and I will give you a straight answer to the best of my ability.

Leon - thank you for posting and sharing what you know of the process. Its useful to hear what the dealers are being told, etc.

I don't think anyone but Nissan knows how this will work. I suspect from what I've heard its based on the buyers city (as indicated on his reservation) & reservation date and its assumed that your chosen dealer will be in your same city. But, who knows. In my case, I am in San Diego and your dealership is 7 miles from my home so pretty straight forward. I should guess that means I'm in a good spot but who knows. It is what it is.

Anyway, thanks for sharing what you know.
-J

Nissan has stated many times that Oppama, Japan LEAF capacity is 50,000 units annually. It would not be unreasonable (and is often the case with a new vehicle) to start production at less than maximum capacity until such time that all systems are thoroughly verified to be operational at their intended level of quality. 50,000 divided by 12 is 4,166 units per month at full production. This production is for global consumption in Japan, US and Europe. If production is reduced initially and ramped up to maximum, it is highly likely that 3,300 US deliveries for the first four months of production is not out of the question. There have already been reports that European delivery has been delayed. If vehicles are being retained for the Japanese market (which, coincidentally, has the highest LEAF sales price (almost $41,000 before government incentives)) these numbers may prove to be right on. Just something to think about.

leaffan said:
This quote is from Gordon at Santa Barbara Nissan: "Good news...they say the ordering will be strictly controlled by WHEN you reserved. first in first out. AND you can buy anywhere. I love the taste of fresh crow early in the morning."
Could Gordon specify who "they" are? Chat operators? Regional dealer reps? Mark Perry and Tim Gallagher? Did he get that info in writing?

When I asked Nissan in a chat session, they told me in no uncertain terms that I could NOT order until fall/winter 2011 because my zip code (UT) places me 20 minutes north of the border with an initial rollout state (AZ). Sounds like Nissan has reversed that policy...?

Yanquetino said:
leaffan said:
This quote is from Gordon at Santa Barbara Nissan: "Good news...they say the ordering will be strictly controlled by WHEN you reserved. first in first out. AND you can buy anywhere. I love the taste of fresh crow early in the morning."
When I asked Nissan in a chat session, they told me in no uncertain terms that I could NOT order until fall/winter 2011 because my zip code (UT) places me 20 minutes north of the border with an initial rollout state (AZ). Sounds like Nissan has reversed that policy...?

They are controlling rollout by market. Within the rollout states by reservation order. And when you get your email to order - you can order from anyone.

Phoenix and Tucson are roll out cities. Arizona is not a roll out state...though those two cities make up most of the population.

That said, change your address to a Phoenix address and ask them to change your order date.

If your address is in a roll out area, you can order from any roll out area...of course I doubt if you live in California you want to order from Tennessee. But if you live in LA you could buy from San Diego, or vice versa, if you wanted. Same with Phoenix and Tucson.

If you are not in a roll out area, well you will be first when your area opens up. So your place in line is like so....in a roll out city, area? ordered day one? you are at front of line. in a roll out city, ordered in second wave of ordering (may 15?), you are pushed back a bit, but near the front. in a non roll out area? ordered day one? you are first in line when Nissan gets LEAFs to your state.

I would have been first in line in New Mexico, as I was a day one order...but that first in line is still late late 2011. So I used my daughter's address in Phoenix...so I will likely get my LEAF in Jan or Feb of 2011...so probably 10 months sooner than waiting for Albuquerque to get any LEAFs. And if I wait that long, I would probably wait even longer and get the Fiat 500EV in 2012...or maybe the Ford Focus EV in late 2011 / early 2012.

Would have loved buying the LEAF in Dec of this year...would have bought it for sure....Jan or Feb and I will almost surely lease instead.

Gavin

Gavin said:
Phoenix and Tucson are roll out cities. Arizona is not a roll out state...though those two cities make up most of the population.
Again, apparently Nissan's right hand doesn't know what the left is telling customers. Here is what a chat operator told me about that:

Chat session July 30 said:
Me:
Okay. That's disappointing for me, as you can imagine. Second question: AZ is in the first tier, but does that launch apply to ALL dealers in the state, or only in Phoenix and Tucson? In other words, will Nissan be taking orders for dealers in the northern deserts/mountains, in Lake Havasu, Windsor, and Prescott?

Roland:
The ordering process will be for all of Arizona.
Too bad I don't also have a daughter living in Phoenix, Gavin! But... how did you skirt around the "home inspection"? Surely an authorized AV electrician is not going to drive to NM from Phoenix...!?

Never asked for a home inspection...my daughter lives in an Apt, so the EV project told me I was not eligible for a free charger...as for the AV expensive charger inspection, I never asked and they still gave me an order date of sept.

Make up a Phoenix address. Everything is email, no snail mail, so the physical address, if you don't want a home charger inspection (i plan to go leviton charger put in by my electrican) then really the address put in means little to Nissan.

Gavin

ps...you could call the Northern AZ dealerships and ask when they are getting LEAFs...but I don't think it will be Dec or Jan....

Gavin said:
Make up a Phoenix address. Everything is email, no snail mail, so the physical address, if you don't want a home charger inspection (i plan to go leviton charger put in by my electrican) then really the address put in means little to Nissan.

Other than the fact that when you sign the contract, it is a legal document with your name and address on it.

Typically, when one buys a new car, the dealer is required to register it (and collect fees and "sales tax", if any) before it "drives away".

Typically, some proof of identity and address are required as well.

So, how does it "normally" work when one buys any new car out-of-state?

LEAFguy said:
Gavin said:

Other than the fact that when you sign the contract, it is a legal document with your name and address on it.

At the dealership when I buy the car? Well I will be using my Albuquerque address for that.

A) the dealership knows where I live and doesn't care.
B) People move all the time. Heck, from deposit to delivery will be at least 7 months for the early people, over a year for most...Nissan can't expect every deposit holder to have the same address in April of on year and the same address in Dec of the next year.
C) Push come to shove, if Nissan wants to be hard about it, I buy the LEAF using my daughters address...I pay the rent already, might as well get some extra benefits from it.

Gavin

Gavin said:

That said, change your address to a Phoenix address and ask them to change your order date.

If your address is in a roll out area, you can order from any roll out area...of course I doubt if you live in California you want to order from Tennessee. But if you live in LA you could buy from San Diego, or vice versa, if you wanted. Same with Phoenix and Tucson.

If you are not in a roll out area, well you will be first when your area opens up. So your place in line is like so....in a roll out city, area? ordered day one? you are at front of line. in a roll out city, ordered in second wave of ordering (may 15?), you are pushed back a bit, but near the front. in a non roll out area? ordered day one? you are first in line when Nissan gets LEAFs to your state.

I would have been first in line in New Mexico, as I was a day one order...but that first in line is still late late 2011. So I used my daughter's address in Phoenix...so I will likely get my LEAF in Jan or Feb of 2011...so probably 10 months sooner than waiting for Albuquerque to get any LEAFs. And if I wait that long, I would probably wait even longer and get the Fiat 500EV in 2012...or maybe the Ford Focus EV in late 2011 / early 2012.

Would have loved buying the LEAF in Dec of this year...would have bought it for sure....Jan or Feb and I will almost surely lease instead.

Gavin

I have to clarify something for you Gavin, again. You may as well say 'Arizona' because when they say Phoenix, Nissan really means the Phoenix Metro Area, which actually includes many cities, including: Surprise, Sun City/West, Avondale, Glendale, Phoenix, Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, Fountain Hills, Chandler, Gilbert, Ahwatukee, Tempe, Mesa, Apache Junction, etc. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back