LEAFSCAN™ - The Ultimate Instrument for your LEAF!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jkirkebo said:
Ingineer said:
Can also be used to set the "secret" dealer-only settings.

Do you have any examples of such setting ?

Are there anything useful, like default eco-mode, more regen in eco or D etc. ?

What about speedo calibratiion ? Mine reads 8% high, but avg.speed and distance is correct. I'd love a 100% correct speedometer...

I forgot to ask... what are those "secret dealer/manufacturer only settings"? My tin-foil hat is itching to know.

Dave

Ingineer said:
Yes, all the battery aging parameters are available. There are 3 important ones:
1. Current total battery capacity in Amp-Hours. Accurate to thousandths of amp-hours. (better than .001%!)
2. Internal resistance increase coefficient. This is also accurate to thousandths.
3. Calculated gradual capacity loss coefficient. Also accurate to thousandths.
You can also see how many times the battery was charged to certain percentages, etc.

This will become an indispensable tool for the purchaser of a used Leaf.

Herm said:
Ingineer said:
Yes, all the battery aging parameters are available. There are 3 important ones:
1. Current total battery capacity in Amp-Hours. Accurate to thousandths of amp-hours. (better than .001%!)
2. Internal resistance increase coefficient. This is also accurate to thousandths.
3. Calculated gradual capacity loss coefficient. Also accurate to thousandths.
You can also see how many times the battery was charged to certain percentages, etc.

This will become an indispensable tool for the purchaser of a used Leaf.

I agree. It will also be a nice tool for the seller of a Leaf, if he has treated the battery well. It will be nice to be able to document that >95% of the charges were to 80% and that the battery has minimal capacity loss.

One of the dealer only settings that a nissan rep told me about is allowing the navigation to be programmed while driving. Differerent countries have different laws on this so the dealer can configure the nav functions country by country. Hopefully this is what Phil is talking about.

EVDrive said:
One of the dealer only settings that a nissan rep told me about is allowing the navigation to be programmed while driving. Differerent countries have different laws on this so the dealer can configure the nav functions country by country. Hopefully this is what Phil is talking about.

Oh really?! I wonder how we can confirm that. I'm just about to do the speed signal switch modification.

QueenBee said:
EVDrive said:

Oh really?! I wonder how we can confirm that. I'm just about to do the speed signal switch modification.

It would be sweet if we could figure out how. Hopefully Phil figured it out. My source is very reliable but wouldn't give me any more details other than that it can be done.

Yeah, Phil!!!!
I was telling my wife that I wasn't going to get all geeky about the Leaf, and just treat it like normal car that happens to not pollute and saves money......

BUT THAT'S ALL OVER NOW!!!!!!

TOTAL GEEK-DOM, HERE WE COME! !!!!

Love you, Phil.

1. Super work, especially being able to update the firmware from the Web via the SDHC card. This effort is a HUGE step forward in understanding the LEAF. Thanks!

2. Will LEAFSCAN be able to log all the MsgID and raw data bytes of all the CAN messages, from all three CAN buses simultaneously?

3. Will it add "second & millisecond" time stamps to each message as it logs them to the SD card?

4. If I knew the Log format that you plan to use, I could add an Import function to CAN-Do and test it with some of your logs.

5. Any guess on the time frame for prototype hardware and Alpha firmware for testing?

Again, Splendid work.
Sincerely, Gary

I look forward to being able to get your LEAFSCAN.

EVDrive said:
When I got my update, the technician asked if I wanted any special programming. Even let me scan his cheat sheet. There were things like disabling the autolock or changing the delay before they locked. Nothing really exciting that I saw. The one that I did opt for was auto-unlock of the drivers door when the car is put in park (say you have to step out of the car for a moment).

Ingineer said:
... As a long-time EV driver, I think the best range-meter is all this gunk behind my eyes! As long as I know where the battery level is, *I* know how I am driving, and can predict where I'm going. This is why I like the SOC shown in high-resolution. Watching it, you quickly learn how fast the Leaf sucks SOC down. Not only will this make you a better driver, but it also eventually teach you how to manage your range all by yourself! ...

+1

But I do understand how the flashing numbers can seem very busy at that level of precision.

Would there be enough display resolution to present 5 dials instead of 5 digits? I'd find that a lot easier to internalize than flipping digits as it gives a quicker read on the rate of change.

jkirkebo said:
Ingineer said:
Can also be used to set the "secret" dealer-only settings.

Do you have any examples of such setting ?

Are there anything useful, like default eco-mode, more regen in eco or D etc. ?

What about speedo calibration ? Mine reads 8% high, but avg.speed and distance is correct. I'd love a 100% correct speedometer...
The parameter change functions will be a future enhancement. Right now I'm going to stick with the basics, and get LEAFSCAN out there to everyone. I've got to concentrate on the most useful stuff first, and just get it in people's hands. Since the software can be updated any time, I can then work on enhancements and additional features. I also want to add a framework so everyone can add their own gauges and features, that way everyone that has new ideas can easily add them without having to wait on me to do them all.

-Phil

CWO4Mann said:
I forgot to ask... what are those "secret dealer/manufacturer only settings"? My tin-foil hat is itching to know.

Dave
Please take this to another thread.

I'd like to (again) request that this stay on topic. Thanks!

-Phil

EVDrive said:
QueenBee said:
EVDrive said:

It would be sweet if we could figure out how. Hopefully Phil figured it out. My source is very reliable but wouldn't give me any more details other than that it can be done.
Guys, PLEASE, start a separate thread!

-Phil

Just like everyone else, count me in for one. My reasonableness threshold for this, given all it can do and it's limited production run, is <$500...

garygid said:
1. Super work, especially being able to update the firmware from the Web via the SDHC card. This effort is a HUGE step forward in understanding the LEAF. Thanks!

2. Will LEAFSCAN be able to log all the MsgID and raw data bytes of all the CAN messages, from all three CAN buses simultaneously?

3. Will it add "second & millisecond" time stamps to each message as it logs them to the SD card?

4. If I knew the Log format that you plan to use, I could add an Import function to CAN-Do and test it with some of your logs.

5. Any guess on the time frame for prototype hardware and Alpha firmware for testing?

Again, Splendid work.
Sincerely, Gary

I look forward to being able to get your LEAFSCAN.
Thanks Gary, I can't yet comment on how the logging subsystem will be implemented. It's generally intended to log parameters not CAN frames, but ultimately you'll be able to build your own CAN->Parameter translations even if I don't include them, so you'll not be restricted. If I do implement a CAN log function, I'll be happy to consider using your format. I also cannot comment on this time about price, availability, alpha/beta programs, etc.

I'm mainly looking to gauge interest and decide what features are most important for the initial release. The interest level will determine how many we build for the initial production run.

Due to the costs involved, we may ask for a pre-order for the initial run with a small deposit. How comfortable is everyone with that?

I'd like to see suggestions and interest levels here, that's the most use. While I'd like to be able to accommodate everyone, Asking for bizarre and rarely useful features is not productive at this time.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
Due to the costs involved, we may ask for a pre-order for the initial run with a small deposit. How comfortable is everyone with that?
Pre-order with deposit is fine with me, as long as we know the price at time of pre-order.

might be best to simply start another thread with poll only;

definite
pretty sure
maybe

i guess the latter two probably depend on price

i am ok with deposit. i am ok with paying full price in advance if you can nail a delivery date within a 2 week time span if price can be known

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back