LEAFSCAN™ - The Ultimate Instrument for your LEAF!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TomT said:
Unless there is a serious difference in price, I do believe that the Scanguage folks can fold their Leaf tent now... (Grin)
Scangauge doesn't have the hardware to get much from the Leaf, as you need multiple CAN bus connections, and it only has one. Also, the scangauge has a very limited resolution display that's not good for anything more than a few numbers at a time really.

-Phil

I know; I was trying to be kind and charitable...
Ingineer said:
TomT said:
Unless there is a serious difference in price, I do believe that the Scanguage folks can fold their Leaf tent now... (Grin)
Scangauge doesn't have the hardware to get much from the Leaf, as you need multiple CAN bus connections, and it only has one. Also, the scangauge has a very limited resolution display that's not good for anything more than a few numbers at a time really.-Phil

Ingineer said:
cdub said:
Good... but watching those #s tick down so quick is a little disconcerting... There needs to be a way to turn off that so it only has one or no decimal point so it doesn't tick down so quick.

It's all in the head I know... but it seems to go down fast.
I'll make it available at several selectable precisions. I, for one, like seeing it go down as it gives you a good "feel" for your "fuel". =)

-Phil

Well for people who are LEAF-heads... the extra detail is great... but for a passenger with range anxiety...not so much.

Ingineer said:
QueenBee said:
Very nice! Will this design be open?
No, at least not initially. Unfortunately the realities of development cost means we can't have an open design. There will be a way to customize the unit though, and all the files and templates will be openly available. Of course, anyone is welcome to buy the hardware and write their own software and open-source that, but we still have to pay for the development cost. If there were a million Leafs on the road, then the market would be large enough to cover development costs easily and we could open-source it.

I gather you are monitoring both can busses. What micro-controller are you using?

One thought: Does the cable disconnect from the gauge end? If permanently wired in to the mirror location, one might want to be able to disconnect it and hide it away to discourage theft, least someone thinks it is a GPS or radar detector... I know another connector is a pain, cost, and possible reliability issue, but it likely would be worth it.

WOW!! Are you going to demo one at the next SF BayLEAFs meeting? April 14th in Santa Clara (Joint w/EAA). We could get you on the program--I have connections ;) And I can get you a charge ;)

Ingineer said:
Eventually we hope to have the unit allow custom settings for your car, such as allowing you to dial in the SOC you'd like to charge to instead of only being limited to 80 or 100%.
Awesome! That would fix what to me is the biggest downside of the LEAF's user interface. Dial me in at 65% SOC... :D

I'm in Phil. Just let me know when and where to send the payment! :)

Nicely Done!
*Text color is an attempt to color coordinate with the LEAFScan. :)

Ps. I saw a Legrand 120V EVSE in person today..... and.... the wire gauge is... 16. It does have the button to select between 8 Amps and 12 Amps at 120V. It comes with the CODA.

Wow - where do you get time to do all this ?

This also gives me legitimate excuse not do any more changes to my meter ;)

cdub said:
Ingineer said:
cdub said:
Good... but watching those #s tick down so quick is a little disconcerting... There needs to be a way to turn off that so it only has one or no decimal point so it doesn't tick down so quick.

It's all in the head I know... but it seems to go down fast.
I'll make it available at several selectable precisions. I, for one, like seeing it go down as it gives you a good "feel" for your "fuel". =)

-Phil

Well for people who are LEAF-heads... the extra detail is great... but for a passenger with range anxiety...not so much.

LOL!! is that an oxymoron?? how could you have range anxiety when you know exactly how much you have left?

I want one! I'm totally sold.

I saw your Youtube video is labeled as Part 2...is there another video showing more demonstrations of the device?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back