LEAFSCAN™ - The Ultimate Instrument for your LEAF!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
gascant said:
WOW!! Are you going to demo one at the next SF BayLEAFs meeting? April 14th in Santa Clara (Joint w/EAA). We could get you on the program--I have connections ;) And I can get you a charge ;)
I hope to! I can't commit, as I might not be able to make the meeting though do to a prior commitment.

-Phil

NYLEAF said:
I want one! I'm totally sold.

I saw your Youtube video is labeled as Part 2...is there another video showing more demonstrations of the device?
There are currently 2 youtube videos:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmp7PRzJVpc[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cxv7XD3-DQ[/youtube]

Sorry, they aren't the best, but right now I'd rather spend time working on the LEAFSCAN! =)

-Phil

Let me add to the chorus of approvals. Ever since I saw the one you made for your plug-in Prius, I've wanted one. Wonderful that it is nearing completion. Put me down for two. (I have a friend not in the forum who will certainly want one.) I particularly like the fact that it will show the tire pressures. Any chance it will be able to show how much the battery has degraded with better resolution that the present 15%?

Put me one the list (if there is a list) once you know the price. I've been getting by fine without it so I'm contingent on price.

As others have said, I think it'll give passengers more range anxiety seeing that number tick down so quickly :lol:

Beautifully done, Phil, congratulations.

I'd echo the suggestion to make the display removable easily for theft deterrence. I would also select fewer decimals to display the SOC, as I'd find it too distracting to see that rapidly decrementing third digit in the corner of my eye.

This is fantastic! I'd get it even if only has the functions shown in the video.

Phil, in the rearview mirror video, I can't see where the cable goes. Is it just run along the top to the left, then down? Or did you manage to hide it somehow?

thimel said:
Let me add to the chorus of approvals. Ever since I saw the one you made for your plug-in Prius, I've wanted one. Wonderful that it is nearing completion. Put me down for two. (I have a friend not in the forum who will certainly want one.) I particularly like the fact that it will show the tire pressures. Any chance it will be able to show how much the battery has degraded with better resolution that the present 15%?
Yes, all the battery aging parameters are available. There are 3 important ones:

1. Current total battery capacity in Amp-Hours. Accurate to thousandths of amp-hours. (better than .001%!)
2. Internal resistance increase coefficient. This is also accurate to thousandths.
3. Calculated gradual capacity loss coefficient. Also accurate to thousandths.

You can also see how many times the battery was charged to certain percentages, etc.

-Phil

Boomer23 said:
Beautifully done, Phil, congratulations.

I'd echo the suggestion to make the display removable easily for theft deterrence. I would also select fewer decimals to display the SOC, as I'd find it too distracting to see that rapidly decrementing third digit in the corner of my eye.
As I mentioned, I'll allow you to choose the precision yourself. Not yet sure if the cable can easily be made detachable, it's got a lot of pins, and the housing is pretty thin. If anyone has a contact for getting cables made, please let me know. (Also looking for someone to assist with injection molding case design, die creation, and a decent production molding shop)

-Phil

lenny said:
This is fantastic! I'd get it even if only has the functions shown in the video.

Phil, in the rearview mirror video, I can't see where the cable goes. Is it just run along the top to the left, then down? Or did you manage to hide it somehow?
Yes, It follows the Homelink wiring up into the headliner, then it's tucked in along the top, down the left side, and under the dash to the DLC3 connector.

-Phil

FWIW, I'm all for not having the cable detachable. Tiny multiple pin plugs and jacks just invite problems. Make the cable as 'skinny' as possible, I'll figure out how to hide the device if I think it is necessary.

Bill

ebill3 said:
FWIW, I'm all for not having the cable detachable. Tiny multiple pin plugs and jacks just invite problems. Make the cable as 'skinny' as possible, I'll figure out how to hide the device if I think it is necessary.

Bill
That might be the reality, unfortunately. The connector of choice would need to be something like Apple uses for docking on it's iPhone/iPad, which is expensive in the LEAFSCAN's production quantity range and also still quite bulky for a device the size of a credit card. There simply is no room for a common type. Maybe the compromise is to offer some sort of inline disconnect as an option. I'll be happy to listen to suggestions, but ultimately hard choices must be made, plus we need to avoid more feature creep on the hardware, as it will greatly increase the development time.

-Phil

Looking good, and I appreciate the need for making hard decisions about hardware design, but for me, the ability to utilise the computing power, storage and flexibility of smartphones and tablets ( access to all those extra sensors, mapping, communications, tracking ) via a Bluetooth interface would be great.

Android SDK dusted off and ready for action!

Wouldn't stop me buying a leafscan as is, however!

Ingineer said:
ebill3 said:

Bill
That might be the reality, unfortunately. The connector of choice would need to be something like Apple uses for docking on it's iPhone/iPad, which is expensive in the LEAFSCAN's production quantity range and also still quite bulky for a device the size of a credit card. There simply is no room for a common type. Maybe the compromise is to offer some sort of inline disconnect as an option. I'll be happy to listen to suggestions, but ultimately hard choices must be made, plus we need to avoid more feature creep on the hardware, as it will greatly increase the development time.

-Phil

I personally would like to see amount of friction*rpm displayed on the bar instead of regen (since we have traction power and regen already behind the steering wheel).

Also, one feature I'd like to "creep" in there is a simple piezo-electric speaker. I prefer audible cues for certain things (such as application of friction brakes).

I'm sure Phil will make that user selectable but, personally, I love that level of precision and being able to see the SOC change in such detail. And I understand the ramifications of a connector on the device so I'd vote for either none, or one inline back a few inches from the device...
Boomer23 said:
I would also select fewer decimals to display the SOC, as I'd find it too distracting to see that rapidly decrementing third digit in the corner of my eye.

TickTock said:
I personally would like to see amount of friction*rpm displayed on the bar instead of regen (since we have traction power and regen already behind the steering wheel).
Would be nice to know how much the friction brakes are being engaged...

Any data-logging capabilities planned?

If price is reasonable, put me down as another enthusiastic customer! I would love to see battery temperature and the battery aging parameters that Nissan hides from us.

Outstanding! I like it just for the features shown in your original video promo (the battery temp is very cool). As a (former) hardware guy, here's my vote for keeping it simple and low-cost; no need for touch-screen, connectors, etc. (fonts/colors should be easily configured via software).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back